What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

It's always good to see some good, friendly discussion. :p

I was thinking the same thing about the lift system. I'm not sure how accurate the video was to the actual timing of the ride, but it was only 1:12 long, and according to RCDB the length of the ride is 3:28. So that means a hell of a lot of lift hill/brakerun. But you figure with that amount of time divided up between the two, it's got to be a chain lift. That's the only way to make a 5500 foot ride moving that fast, that long...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Just when we thought Arrow Hyper lifts were the slowest... :razz:

unlimitedcoaster

Mega Poster

Just when we thought Arrow Hyper lifts were the slowest... :razz:

B&M must have a majorly sized motor to crank the trains up at a reasonably fast pace. Something unique to pull the train up as fast as Intimidator 305, I would like to see. :)

Snoo

The Legend

I doubt THAT fast.. but it will no doubt be a decently paced lift.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

If this ride was in any other park, I'd probably be loving it right now, as a track and a ride it looks fantastic. However I see absolutely no point in this ride being at Canada's Wonderland when you have the exact same ride type in Behemoth.

I know inversions are not everything, but in this situation at least put a multi-looper in not just a regular sit-down like Behemoth.... Pointless....

but that's just me :p

Lofty

CF Legend

Hmm. I can't make my mind up if I think this is pretty incredible, or rather boring? The layout is quite dull in my opinion, even MF does more...

HZGarfield

Roller Poster

I Wonder Why they use a Loooooooooooooooooong Brake slope instead of Splashdown? :(

a Precreation :lol:

20118194942_Leviathan.JPG

andrus

Giga Poster

A giga is great, but obviously they could've spent the money more wisely. If they eg built an 11 inversion roller coaster with the tallest loop on the planet they would actually break a record, not just take their own four years old "tallest in Canada" record..

But as an enthusiast I'm more then pleased :--D Yet another giga (it's not like there can be too many of them) and the first one for B&M!! Great news all in all if you ask me!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ That's what I was expecting honestly, a B&M looper of sorts, such as a Floorless or Wing-Rider.

D1993

Hyper Poster

I think its silly to say they should have put a looper. Whilt this kinda borders among similarities with Behemoth, who cares? The park does not need another looper. They have plenty of roller coasters that go upside down, and amongst the majoirty that is not what is most popular. These B&M big coasters are seeming to be the most popular and the park does need more additions from roller coasters such as these. I think its the greatest thing ever!!! Leviathan is near perfection!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ The current inversion roller coasters aren't popular because they are built by Vekoma and Arrow, way outdated.

A Floorless or Wing Rider would be immensely popular, as it would be a big B&M. Take a look around - B&M Inverted coasters are arguably the most popular ride genre, in part due to their unique inversions.

tks

Strata Poster

LOL. This is the worst management decision of all time.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

Even though this is a giga coaster, it is basically a 300-foot tall mega coaster.

It is the same thing as Behemoth, a B&M Mega coaster, but taller (tall enough for it technically to be called a giga coaster).

It's like having an Intamin hyperlite and a hyper in the same park, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Most. Retarded. Decision. Ever.

:roll:

Martyn B

CF Legend

Purely because that brake run is horizontal, followed by a controlled slope down, I reckon this was/is designed with more to it, but, CW didn't want anymore to it, so decided the MCBR would be the end. It does looks quite short for a 306ft coaster (and its missing bunny hops).

Titan

Mega Poster

I think this is one of the few instances that coaster enthusiasts agree on something, that CW made a dumb decision.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

-lofty- said:
Hmm. I can't make my mind up if I think this is pretty incredible, or rather boring? The layout is quite dull in my opinion, even MF does more...

Its because they dont have enough space to fit much of a Giga coaster. They would have been better off with a smaller coaster with more inversions. The track length takes up the rest of the available park land. Which is another bad decision by CW (N)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

I'm a bit unsure on whether to agree with everybody or not.

On one hand, they might have killed Behemoth marketing-wise. I mean, who will want to ride Behemoth now that there is a larger coaster that does exactly the same right across the park?

On the other, now they have both Behemoth and Leviathan, two gargantuan coasters, both of which would have been signature attractions and a massive crowd drawer on its own, at any park in the world. Now there are two of them together.
Remember that most people do not go to a park because of a specific coaster, even if that coaster is the biggest in the country, world, or whatever. They go because they want to have a day of fun. And I'm asking: What is more fun, riding one humongous coaster or two humongous coasters?
Because of the similiarity between the rides, CWL will stand out. Great Adventure is remembered for being "the park with the tallest coaster in the world". Kings Island has "That awesome big red one". Carowinds has "That big red one". Kings Dominion has "That great big red one", etc. Until now, CWL was "the park with that huge orange coaster". Now it is "The park with the two giant coasters". They aren't competing attractions, like we tend to view them. We see coaster versus coaster. This isn't RCT, guys! It's not a pay-per-ride system either, as far as I know (if it is, my entire argument is ruined).
Behemoth and Leviathan are pulling in the crowds together. Two big, if similiar coasters combine to be a single signature attraction.
Even Thorpe have travelled this path. Remember the "unholy trinity"? We saw them as "a sitdown looper, a launched coaster, and an inverted coaster". The GP saw "three wicked coasters". Alone, those three were good rides, but it was the combination of them that attracted the crowds (then SAW came along, and the other coasters went out of the limelight). CWL will probably milk the combination of the two rides, rather than Leviathan alone.

And then there's all the other stuff there. Either way, it's a new Giga, guys! Cheer up!

Gazza

Giga Poster

Coulndnt the have chucked wingrider trains on it... At least make somewhat of an effort to make it different?

Anyway, I'm with the consensus... Cool ride, wrong park. (Though B&M breaking the arbritary 91.44m height barrier does little to excite me, metric baby!!!!)

I just don't get how spending $28 mil on this, out of all the rides available, represents the best return on investment.