What's new

Camping; what are your thoughts?

Camping; what are your thoughts?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I was reading a review of the Stargazing Pods at Alton Towers recently, and it got me thinking about camping. I’ve noticed that it tends to be quite polarising; a lot of people either absolutely love camping holidays and can’t get enough of them, or absolutely hate camping holidays and would never been seen dead in a tent. So I’d be intrigued to know; what are your thoughts on camping? Do you love it, and crave the connection with the outdoors? Or do you hate it, and prefer the warmth and creature comforts of a hotel? Or are you somewhat indifferent towards it?

Personally, I think I err towards the camp that’s not overly keen on camping, although I wouldn’t like to cast too much of a judgement due to my experiences being both somewhat limited and a very long time ago. The only time we ever went on a proper camping holiday was when I was probably no older than 8, and we went to Brean Sands, but we did also camp in the back garden in a tent a few times when I was young, and I’ll admit that I don’t have especially positive memories from any of my camping experiences; I mostly remember feeling cold and wet, and I remember often having headed inside before the night was out when we camped in the back garden. Granted, these were when I was very young, but it must be said that I’m still not the most outdoorsy of people now; don’t get me wrong, I’m partial to a nice forest walk (and living in the Forest of Dean, there’s certainly no shortage of lovely ones within a very short drive!), but in terms of actually sitting outside and doing camping-type stuff and all that “outdoor adventure” stuff, that’s never really been my cup of tea.

It might not help that my family absolutely hates camping; my parents and grandparents can’t stand it.

But what are your thoughts? Do you like camping, or are you not a fan?

Gazza

Giga Poster
I don't mind it, but normally I just do it to save money if staying at a national park or something and regular accommodation is too expensive.

Eg at Uluru the cheapest hotel was $300 per night, camping was $40.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I've always been one in support for camping but the thing that matters the most is LOCATION. Camping should be an offer at a place where you're able to spend 90% of your waking hours being outside of the tent doing stuff. I can venture into the "people who don't like camping" gang if I'm camping at a place that doesn't have much on offer in the 'things to do' list. I'm not saying there's nothing to do inside the tent (of course there's reading a book and cooking sausages) but those only take an hour or two of your day, then you spend the other 14 doing what.

I LOVE adventurous outdoor holidays but that doesn't mean I won't turn down a stay in a hotel or a cottage or a caravan or a chalet, in a holiday park where I spend a day riding down rows of accommodation in my personal pedal kart hire.

So yeah, camping is definitely something for me as long as the tent is a place to sleep, and not a place to spend my entire day.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I like the idea of it, but I don't overly love it in practice.

I've camped a handful of times and there have always been aspects of it that I've really enjoyed, particularly sitting around a fire with friends or family and shooting the breeze. However, it all takes entirely too much effort. The amount of equipment, preparation, set up, and clean up that is required to make the entire process work is a bit absurd and simply not worth it. It's not helped by the fact that I'm allergic to pretty much everything that is green.

I get much more enjoyment out of a hotel with a little city centre within walking distance (my definition of walking distance is pretty liberal) where I can go do as the locals do.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Did a lot of really fun care work involving three decent tents and lots of coasters over twenty years.
Amazing times, very little sleep.
Keep being told how good those times were.
Drayton, Alton, Lightwater, even (god help me) 'mingo.
Prefer every night in my own bed now... but the next two will be Drayton via the Clent Hills, and Blackpool via Ribchester.
Please don't make me do both in the same summer!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Camping is absolutely amazing. Except the actual camping.

Yes:

Being outdoors in remote places.
Hanging out with friends.
BBQs and campfires.

No:

Sleeping in a tent.
Needing to poo.

Basically, camping is why ‘indoors’ was invented.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Tent camping, absolutely not, NEVER again.

That said, I camp with the horses in a living quarters horse trailer all the time. My LQ trailer has everything a nice RV has. Refrigerator, stove, microwave, shower, toilet, AC, furnace, TV with DVD player and satellite dish on the roof. Most things run off of the marine batteries or propane tanks, but it also has a 4 KW generator on the roof as well. In the picture below I was dry camped (no electric hookups) for a weekend event. Most of the time when camping, others are camping as well and we all have a great time. Definitely not cheaper than a hotel room, but certainly more convenient when horses are involved.

I also moved into it a couple of years ago during a week long power outage caused by an ice storm.

Truck and Trailer.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
What do I think about camping? It's in tents!

I can camp for a night after getting sloshed, knowing I'll be going home to use the facilities the next day! But I don't think my tummy/IBS would appreciate more than that

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Nah man, not for me. Outdoorsy stuff - hiking, nature, woods etc - sure, love all that, but sleeping in a tent, for the most part, is gross. I haven't been on an actual, proper camping holiday since my school days, circa 1986! I know it was 1986 because while there we watched the England v Argentina world cup match with Diego Maradona's 'hand of God' goal. 🤬 If the trip wasn't already sh*t enough as it was, that sure as hell finished it off for me.
(If you're wondering how we watched a telly on a campground - there was a little scout hut and shop on site).

In all the time since then I think I've slept in a tent twice, and that was only because it was part of a much bigger overall experience, would never just camp in a random field for the sake of it.
The first time was during me & Mrs Howie's wedding trip when we camped out on the top of a 1000ft sheer cliff overlooking Monument Valley...

20190925_133948.jpg
20190924_180327.jpg

See? Now that's camping. Spectacular location, breathtaking views and our Navajo guide pitched the tent, built the fire and cooked for us! None of that DIY palava. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was still one the worst night's sleep I've ever had - hot, hard and uncomfortable but a location like that kinda makes it worthwhile.

The second time was a year later on our anniversary. Again, not really proper camping - it was an Airbnb in South Wales so everything was already set up for our arrival. The tent was a big, ball shaped thing suspended 20ft in the tree canopy, and there was an entire kitchen/living area and bathroom with hot shower too.

20210619_175413.jpg

That was a really cool place to stay but again, sleeping in a tent, even a big red ball shaped one hanging from the trees, is still gross.

That's it, that's the only camping I've ever done. I'll consider it when the location demands it, but otherwise no thanks.

JackFish

Mega Poster
As an eagle scout, who has gone on plenty of week-long camping trips, I can say that I love camping. Nothing can beat laying in your tent and listening to the nighttime noises or making up and taking that first pee in the wood. Nothing can beat cooking right as you get up, and it's so secluded, it's like your own world.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
There are too many variables as to the “level” of camping involved to properly answer this.

Wild camping? Nah.
Camping with access to facilities, and power? Sure.

Camping in the rain? Nah
Camping in nice enough weather? Sure.

Camping in a field next to an industrial estate? Nah.
Camping in the beautiful wilderness? Sure, if parts 1 and 2 are also met.

Camping in a little tent with just a sleeping bag? Nah.
Camping with a relatively comfy blow up bed? Sure.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Wild camping? Nah.
Camping with access to facilities, and power? Sure.

Camping in the rain? Nah
Camping in nice enough weather? Sure.

Camping in a field next to an industrial estate? Nah.
Camping in the beautiful wilderness? Sure, if parts 1 and 2 are also met.

Camping in a little tent with just a sleeping bag? Nah.
Camping with a relatively comfy blow up bed? Sure.
Did you somehow just say, glamping, yes, and camping, no???

rob666

Hyper Poster
I like roughing it under a tarp with a mat and a rug, being able to see out all around is the best part.
Or a four pack of Special Brew and a night under the South Pier at Blackpool, being careful to check the tide times first of course.
Oh my teenage years.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Love camping and go at least once or twice a year when possible. While I wouldn't say I go glamping I do have a very good tent, an excellent goose down single size inflatable ground mat to sleep on (with associated pillow), a fairly cheap but warm sleeping bag and a decent foldable table and chair. Not much else you need to be honest.

Most camp sites these days have a decent toilet and shower block too and then you're set.

I know plenty of people who can't stand camping but in my experience they're like my old housemate who didn't like any inconvenience of any kind. Basically my correlation is people who moan about people on the Tube don't like camping 🤣

I'll take all that fresh air, the views, a decent night's sleep and an evening with a view of the starts over an identikit travel lodge with scrambled egg that comes in block form and a mattress you wouldn't want anyone to shine a UV light on anyday.

One of my all time highlights is camping next to a river in Myanmar, a days trek from anywhere. Just sitting for the evening with a beer in hand and chatting the night away before sleeping in hammocks under the milky way