Change background image

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Discussion in 'Roller Coaster Construction' started by Temleh, Aug 3, 2015.

1. JoshC.

JoshC. Member

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    It still hasn't quite set in for me that the k
    UK is getting a Mack... Don't think it will till I see either tbh

But yay it's going up. Not 100% on the track colour still, but once I see more of it I guess I'll know whether I like it or not.

2. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Fave Coaster:
    Balder
    Fave Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Yes.

The track would look better in a hundred different colours other than "Primer grey". It honestly looks drab and unfinished.

Also, slightly concerned that it might spoil a bit of what I enjoy about BPB, namely the old/historic feel of the park. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably love the ride, but I'm not sure how I feel about this brand new ultra-modern ride weaving in and out of the old classics, and what it'll look like when finished.

3. Pear

Pear Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    The primer grey is still better than the green and orange nickelodeon abomination they had before

MakoMania and CrashCoaster like this.
  4. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    I can understand that viewpoint, but I suppose that's what people thought back when The Big One was built etc. This huge modern ride, ruining what was considered to be a fairly traditional park with a proud seafront view. And then there's Valhalla, which at the time would of seemed so unlike any of the previous investments but is now part of that Blackpool 'charm'. The truth about Pleasure Beach is that all the rides clash in such an overt way that it works really well and gives the park it's identity. I think that regardless of how Icon rides, it is definitely an investment that will add to Pleasure Beach's identity, in the same way that all the other rides have. Just give it a few weeks until the Steeplechase section goes up and you'll see just how snug Icon is going to look in BPB. ;)

5. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Fave Coaster:
    Balder
    Fave Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    I think I'd honestly rather green and orange to be honest, it'd brighten the place up and fit in with the other bright colours around.

Aye Sandman and once the track is complete I'm sure, colour aside, I'll love that way it follows the BPB theme of making the absolute most of the space they have. Looking forward to aerial views from the PMBO lift, one of my favourite images is looking down on Infusion being tucked into that small gap.

Mysterious Sue and toofpikk like this.
  6. TheCoasterCruiser

TheCoasterCruiser Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Helix
    Fave Park:
    Gröna Lund
    Coaster Count:
    Starting to look really good!

7. MakoMania

MakoMania Member

Fave Coaster:
    Mako
    Fave Park:
    SeaWorld Orlando
    I love how Towers have had 3 attempts at a large new coaster since 2010 and BPB go and beat them on their first attempt.

8. Temleh

Temleh Member

Fave Coaster:
    Helix
    Fave Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Guys, Icon isn't even built yet.

Look, I am literally "Mr Icon Fanboy" but even i'm not going to judge it until I actually ride it. As good as Icon should be i'm telling you now that there's no way in hell it will bring in as many people as Th13teen and The Smiler did for Alton Towers. Merlin's marketing and captive audience are a totally different league to BPB's. SW8 will continue that trend.

Hopefully Icon is a high quality attraction that brings in more guests, justifies the gate price rise and most importantly gets people talking about Blackpool again. I predict a very good 5 years are in store for the Pleasure Beach!

9. Robbie

Robbie Member

Fave Coaster:
    Air
    Fave Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    I don't think anyone thought that, really. The feedback I heard from locals at the time was that The Big One wasn't new enough - BPB had essentially just built a really big version of what they already had, but people thought it should have had loops too.

I do understand people's fears about losing the charm of the place though - I think the monorail, gold mine, and the log flume have been the biggest losses to the feel of the place in the last 20 years and Infusion hasn't really helped. But then you think of how successful Steeplechase and the Revolution were when they opened, and Icon is probably in that tradition.

Sandman and toofpikk like this.
  10. WhollyRudeTech

WhollyRudeTech New Member

Different people like different things in a coaster. Doesn’t make him right and you wrong. Well apart from the spelling of his name, for that you are wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jaiden M. and Will like this.
  11. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI

Fave Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Fave Park:
    PortAventura Park
    I purposely spelt his name wrong. He's called Shawn Sanbrooke.

WhollyRudeTech likes this.
  12. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Fave Coaster:
    Balder
    Fave Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Soz ard

Lofty and DelPiero like this.
  13. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand

I imagine some people would see it that way, but to the GP who hadn't seen anything on that scale at that time (which is exacerbated by the fact the internet wasn't huge back then) it would definitely be a modern touch. I know we've lost a few big heritage rides, but I guess some form of progress is necessary at BPB. I think that the Flying Machines, Derby Racer, River Caves & Ghost Train are of more historic value than the Goldmine, Monorail & log flume were, so in that respect I think they made the right decision.

14. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Omg YES. I forgot this phrase existed. Thanks for reminding me hahahahahaha.

Smithy likes this.
  15. Robbie

Robbie Member

Fave Coaster:
    Air
    Fave Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Nah, back in 1994 two big rides opened in the UK and Nemesis was the modern one. People were impressed by The Big One but it was still seen as the more old-fashioned.

16. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Well, if the GP at that time thought that the tallest and fastest rollercoaster seemed old fashioned because of "no loops", then I think it will be difficult for the GP of today to understand what will be so good about Icon compared to other coasters. I mean, compared to like The Smiler it's not "loopy" enough, it's not as big as other coasters at BPB and neither is it as fast as The Big One or other launch coasters like Rita or Stealth. I'm genuinely curious as to how the GP will view this in the run-up to it opening. I see it as quite a tough marketing task for BPB, especially without a theme or anything to tie in. We all know that those close interactions with the airtime and stuff is going to be fun, but how do you package that for the masses? Bare in mind, the only significant marketing BPB have used so far is NL2 POV footage.

I haven't really seen much of social media's reaction to the Icon stuff outside of the usual enthusiast circles, so it can be a bit of an echo chamber.

17. MakoMania

MakoMania Member

Fave Coaster:
    Mako
    Fave Park:
    SeaWorld Orlando
    They are really focusing on it being the UK's first double launch coaster in the marketing so far.

Bert2theSpark and CrashCoaster like this.
  18. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Taron
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Some pics from today tweeted by Mandy T herself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Pear

Pear Active Member

Fave Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Fave Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    God the Blackpool skyline looks absolutely disgusting and that's such a bad storage shed as well.

WhollyRudeTech likes this.
  20. Mitchell

Mitchell New Member

Fave Coaster:
    Helix
    Fave Park:
    Alton Towers
    The colours don't look half-bad along with the supports.

CrashCoaster and MakoMania like this.