What's new

Big Dipper derailed

nealbie

CF Legend
So you are denying it was a derailment? Typical, there was me thinking you were going to be involved in a constructive, logical and sensible argument. Silly me :roll:

marc

CF Legend
Well next time they might not be so lucky.

Tbh Ash when I first read it had derailed I did think god it must be hanging off the track or something like EGF. When I 1st saw the picture I thought ok that does not look to bad at all, but then when I hear that the train was going slow before it stopped and the wheel caused it then its a problem.

I do find it a bit shocking that people only seem to care when people get hurt or a train is hanging off a track. No one got hurt when Rush through a bit of metal off, does that make it ok as no one got hurt?

For me the train did not derail, but there is a wheel not on the track due to it not being able to touch the track going by whats wriiten in books it does count as a derailment though. I hope they find what caused the problem and not just right it off as these things happen which does seem to be you attitude. Yes these things can happen, but they should not happen and they need to stop happening.

Would I personally feel safe riding the Big Dipper, I would have to say no and I have never felt like that before.

Is the coaster open now? other coasters that stalled opened within 2 hours.

Thats my view on it anyway and again this is not an attack at you or Scott just my views.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Face facts, it was evactuated correctly, no-one was injured, noone seemed overly bothered by it at all (confused maybe) but when you take into account the local Blackpool rag (who hate PB with a passion) didn't even bother to mention it, it proves beyond all doubt that some people here are drama queens, nothing more.

I'll repeat what N.I said, who is the drama queen? I, like a few other people have said its a bit too coinsidental (positioning), but thats it....

nealbie

CF Legend
I think (at Ash) that it's fair to say the lack of media hype/publication is purely down to the fact that there were no injuries whatsoever. Ian has already mentioned knee-jerk interest in it (even from national newspapers), but following the discovery of no human cost there was no story to be had.

Sad truth about the way the media works in this country. No death/injury, no story! :(

A

Anonymous

So you are denying it was a derailment? Typical, there was me thinking you were going to be involved in a constructive, logical and sensible argument. Silly me

Yes, I dont class that as a de-railment, as the train was still held on the track. It wasn't even as though the back car had become free and was hanging over the edge of the turnaround. It was simpley, one wheel.

Do a google image search for train derailment if you want to see what a derailment really looks like.

I do find it a bit shocking that people only seem to care when people get hurt or a train is hanging off a track. No one got hurt when Rush through a bit of metal off, does that make it ok as no one got hurt?

Certainly not (and I can see what your saying) and I'm sure this will get looked in to (infact I know its getting looked into, in great detail) and as you rightly say, nothing less is acceptable.

For me the train did not derail, but there is a wheel not on the track due to it not being able to touch the track going by whats wriiten in books it does count as a derailment though. I hope they find what caused the problem and not just right it off as these things happen which does seem to be you attitude. Yes these things can happen, but they should not happen and they need to stop happening.

Again Marc, if thats how I'm sounding I'm sorry, it wasn't meant that way. I'm not for one minute suggesting it should be written off. All I'm meaning is its stalled dozzens of times since 1923, many of these times have been on that bend. There will be more (hopefully without the loss of a wheel!) but it doesn't mean we are in for a repete of 2009. (Hope thats a slightly clearer version of what I'm meaning)

Is the coaster open now? other coasters that stalled opened within 2 hours.

Thats my view on it anyway and again this is not an attack at you or Scott just my views.

Again, fair play. As you say, it wasn't a full on derailment, and I'll meet you half way and say it wasn't a simple stall either, kinda somthing inbetween, that could have been a lot worse.

I doubt we'll see that train back for a while, my primary concern from a park operations POV is I hope they dont shut RC when this opens back up, because its throughput on 1 train with a lift hill that speed will be on a par with the Wild Mouse!

Ash

Martyn B

CF Legend
So has the lift hill being slowed affected the ride at all?

It crawled over the hills at it was before....

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
So has the lift hill being slowed affected the ride at all?

It crawled over the hills at it was before....

Did it? It was slower on the return leg than Roller and the Nash are, but even so I wouldnt say it was crawling.

I dont really have anything else to add, because my opinions are pretty much the same as Ash's.

Brookes

Giga Poster
To Ash from a post a couple of pages ago, I like PBB, I am not someone who just slates it because of reputation or whatever. As most people on here I think would agree, this was no "Act of God", it was an accident. Although accidents can never be avoided, the chance that they will happen can be reduced, and I think Neal summed it up pretty well by saying that they should do more in terms of maintenance. You want evidence, have a look at the wheel, I'm sure when I rode Big Dipper that was on the track. And what has my avatar and signature got to do with anything? As soon as you say anything bad about a park with bad reputation, you get accused of bashing them for no reason. I enjoy going to PBB, I went the other week, so I hope you see where I'm coming from.

Darkrider

Roller Poster
Went on the Big Dipper several times last weekend and really enjoyed my ride!!! :--D
Love the woodies at Blackpool!! The Grand National is the best imo!
The Wild Mouse......mental - best dose of adrenelin in the UK!!
Hope to see some new woodies built soon in the UK.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Glad that it's open. Was it running both trains?