What's new

Best night coasters

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Helix takes the cake. Riding it in front row with the car beams lighting the track ahead, rushing by the forest of supports and the mess of track is just something I will not easily forget.

I must admit that any good coaster gets better at night, generally speaking.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Darren B said:
elephant58 said:
Gangster4Life said:
Oblivion, Alton Towers. cool)

+1

I hate to sound rude but you're both completely wrong. Oblivion is probably the best coaster to do during daylight. The tunnel opening is much more intimidating during the day, it's hardly visible at night. I can't really see why either of you prefer it at night? But each to their own.

For me;

Nemesis Inferno & Beast

The only time, I've ever ridden it at night, was after riding Thirteen in the dark, in October 2011, which was very underwhelming. X-Sector was almost completely empty and it was a clear night. The weren't many lights on and facing the very dark, starry sky on the lift hill was very intimidating. Then the dry ice in the hole was extremely cold.

So, to sum it up, the reason I like it at night is because, it was very empty, dark, cold, clear skied and a very bleak experience.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
oriolat2 said:
I must admit that any good coaster gets better at night, generally speaking.

This.

I can't think of any coaster that wouldn't be better or more exciting at night.

Beast and Lightning Racer are pretty awesome. Beast takes the cake though, especially the one time it was foggy in the valley <3

Top Thrill during Halloweekends is pretty cool, too. The drop going into the fog is sweeet.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
It's not the best coaster at night but Thi3teen becomes a completely different ride at night. Having black track and no lights you don't have a clue where you are going at all, it creates a very out of control feeling. Excellent at night, ok in the day.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Both Helix and Nemesis which are brilliant rides during the day are world class at night. Helix night ride is my best individual ride on a coaster I think.

steel

Mega Poster
Surprised I haven't seen Voyage mentioned yet.

Prowler is <3 <3 <3 at night, the way the onride photo blinds you as you drop through the lift into the speed terrain section, it's so so so much fun.

Beast is definitely the winner though.

Intricks

Strata Poster
All Holiday World wooden coasters, BDash, Maverick, both Phantoms were/are fab at Night. Beast is fun, as is Diamondback and Bat. I remember Twister being more out of control feeling at night when I first rode it 8 years back.

Most of the coasters at Geauga Lake were also pretty fab night rides, moreso if they were located on the lake.

Casio

Mega Poster
As everyone is saying, virtually every ride is better at night, but I noticed a particularly transcendence on SkyRush: the whole park takes on a real Roller Coaster Tycoon feel at night with the lights, jam packed rides and huge crowds. The airtime combined with the night-time exhilaration is unbeatable; the best circuit I've ever done on a coaster.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno is something else at night; I was genuinely surprised at the sense of speed and euphoria I got from it yesterday. It really did come to life, more so than anything else at Thorpe Park, it just felt so right! The pre-lift section, mist, tropical theming, lighting and those killer helixes at the end all over-whelmed me.

The Swarm on the other hand couldn't live up to Inferno's impressive night ride. While it looked fabulous, the ride experience overall didn't cut the cake, it still felt generally boring and lacklustre to me...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Inferno seems to be running much better lately (still not amazing by slightly more forceful than normal). Had a really good few rides on it yesterday and earlier in the season.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Just had a few amazing night runs on EGF, last ride of the night with fireworks going off near the entrance leaving firework smoke lingering all over the track. Brilliant!

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Beast at night is obviously the first one that comes to mind.

El Toro night rides are what made it my favorite coaster just sitting in the back three rides in a row at night truly amazing.

Verbolten was also amazing we did it about 7 times at night right after each other and it was great. It was a sweet launch into darkness, than getting launched back out into darkness, plunged down the hill near the water into darkness, It was nice and cold out too so it gives you such a ominous feel to it. Some other notable memorable night rides include Diamondback, Apollo's Chariot, Griffon, Bizarro, and Kingda Ka.

Agile Beast

Roller Poster
My favorite coaster at night was Apocalypse at SFMM, I waited quite a while to get on it (1 train op) but it blew me away, all the effects and diving into the tunnels were amazing. It ended up being my favorite ride.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I really can't remember my exact answer the last time this topic was posted a few years ago, but Beast still remains my favorite. Helix looks fab in the dark from what I've seen, but I haven't had the pleasure of riding it at night yet. However I've ridden Rip Ride Rockit in the dark many times, which I imagine to be very similar.
If you like coasters that are completely dark at night so that you don't have a clue as to what's happening, then in addition to ones like Boulder Dash and Ravine Flyer II, I recommend Intimidator 305 although Volcano is my favorite nighttime coaster at Kings Dominion.
If you like trailing lights then it doesn't get any better then Lightning Racer, although Ghost Rider comes close. And although many have mentioned some of the coasters at Cedar Point that look great at night, I dislike riding them after dark because you pretty much have to ride them with your eyes and mouth closed because of all the bugs.
My favorite night rides of all time were on Thunder Road and Rebel Yell before they stopped running the trains backwards. There was nothing like cruising out into the darkness backwards and seeing a starlit sky as you flew out of your seat over every drop. <3