Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intamin

• Intamin pre-split

• Total voters

marc

CF Legend
Shockwave was designed though before B&M so yes its an Intamin ride but designed by the people that formed B&M.

But build after the split so a bit of a tough one there really.

A

Anonymous

B&M was founded in 1988. Which gave them 2 years to develop their concepts before building their first coaster. So I'm pretty sure that's the time of the split from Intamin.

Shockwave was built 6 years later, so I think that the layout was completely made by Intamin, but featured the techniques that was developed before the split, and seeing that Shockwave have a zero-g roll, an element that B&M won't use on a stand-up, also points that Shockwave is an Intamin coaster.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
caffeine_demon said:
Shockwave (drayton)- love it (But that was before the split)

Actually, Intamin formed wayyyy before Shockwave. So it is an Intamin ride through and through. haha, ner ner, you like an Intamin ride... nerr nerrrr.....

Oh noi.... whatever shall I do?

That said - I think it does have a few b and m traits - track cross section and 4 across "seating"

A

Anonymous

^ That's just because B&M worked for Intamin when they designed Z-Force and their first Stand ups, and Intamin just reused the stand up design from when B&M worked for them on Shockwave.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
caffeine_demon said:
Oh noi.... whatever shall I do?

You should scratch your balls and sniff your hand.

If you look, the B&M box-section is a different shape to the Intamin box-section. You can also see this box-section around the loop on Indiana Jones at DLP.

Ben

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
Ben said:
Screaming Coasters said:
B&M coasters are all the same. You ride one, you've ridden them all. B&M's layouts are so generic and especially the newer ones, they are forceless piles of crap.

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p12487.jpg

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p8151.jpg

... yes. These are infact, clones.

Oh you complete spanner, Ben. You know EXACTLY what I mean so stop being difficult.

And I don't mean comparing different models together, comparing like to like models is what I mean. They aren't much different when you look at them and they all feel the same, do the same things.

Was that so hard to pick up? I thought you were intelligent, Ben.

Haha, for someone trying to insult me as lacking intelligent, you really didn't quite gather my point, did you?

I'll make the point again, adapting to your new rules.

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p8151.jpg

http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p358.jpg

These two, are in fact, clones.

You can say "oh, they go loop, dive loop, etc.", but the fact is, they may have "the same elements", but, they do NOT ride the same. Take Khan and Kraken, anyone would tell you these do NOT ride the same. Take even Medusa and Kraken, and they simply do NOT ride the same. At all.

A

Anonymous

I like B&M a lot. However, Intamin is has some very unique and cool rides and not quite as predictable. I'm going to say Intamin.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've been on a lot more Inatamin coasters than B&M. I don't think any Intamin ride makes my top ten, yet B&M has three entries. I lie actually, Balder does... Maybe a little different?

I think that pretty much sorts that one out on my opinion :)

Intamin just do nothing for me (so far, I have Superman and El Toro yet to come). The one thing that stands out in my mind is generally "ouch". I enjoy bits and bobs of the rides, but overall, there's a roughness and bashing that isn't required - they age terribly. Except, Balder - which is smoother than any Intamin Steal I've been on :roll: Way to screw it up Intamin!

However, I've only been on five B&M's, so my sample is small. By the end of the year, I think my B&M and Intamin count will be similar. So I may come back with a different opinion...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
After glancing quickly at my ever-changing top ten in another topic, B&M and Intamin both have 3 each.

I'm going to say that older B&M coasters beat older Intamins, but the newer Intamin efforts are better than the newer B&Ms.

I'm going to take into account flat rides and water rides though, of which, in my opinion, Intamin make the very best, and say that Intamin are the "better" manufacturer overall. You could kit out an entire park with Intamin rides, from huge coasters to family rides to water rides and transport systems. Some parks have actually done just that.

Slash

Giga Poster
^^ I much agree with you, BM make coasters that are very different. They may consist of the same elements and may not push the imaginitive boundary but its what they do. Pure calculated fun.

It has got to be BM for me for their sheer brilliance in design and for creating the invert.

But intamin are so close behind they are sniffing BMs arse.

I prefer B&M all the way, I hate intamin with a passion from a professional point of view.

And I don't mean comparing different models together, comparing like to like models is what I mean. They aren't much different when you look at them and they all feel the same, do the same things.

Thats like comparing a Ford Focus with another Ford Focus.....of course their the same...

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Not really...

B&M layouts aren't original. They follow the same set all the time, throughout the entire range of their products. It's only once every few years we see something different, but even then it's nothing amazing. Bring back Old School B&M and get rid of the new stuff.

For that reason, I'm with Intamin.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Or whether you have Werner Stengle or B&M designing it.

I much prefer a Werner Designed ride than a B&M designed ride. Kinda why I don't rate Inferno that high as that was a full inhouse B&M project.

I don't think you've quite go twhat I meant.

B&M are not the overly cautious, no we won't do that company enthusiasts seem to believe.

It is all down to what the park wants and how much they are willing to spend, B&M will do anything for you.
B&M design everything layout wise to exactly what the park wants within the limits of what the machine is capable of.

If you have the money, B&M will give you what you want.

Not necesarily, B&M didnt have a method of launching a coaster.

IOA came up with the idea of how to launch it, B&M sorted everything else out and contracted General Electric? to come and install it.
B&M didn't outright refuse to do it.