What's new

Attractiepark Slagharen | Goldrush | Gerstlauer Infinity

TilenB

Strata Poster
Atractiepark Slagharen has announced the retirement of their good old Thunder Loop (Schwarzkopf Looping Star) in order to make place for a new coaster in 2017. The park has cited the maintenance costs to be the main factor behind the removal. Thunder Loop is to operate till the end of this season, with the new coaster opening at some point in the Spring of 2017. The new ride will have at least one inversion, with more details about the project being released in the coming weeks.

Official announcement put through Google Translate said:
After years of speculation, the fans Attractie- & Holiday Slagharen - and amusement parks in general - look forward to a new roller coaster. The "thrill ride" will open in the spring of 2017, is quieter, higher and more spectacular than the current Thunder Loop roller coaster.

The legendary Thunderbird course, with the first loop of the Netherlands, this fall is broken. The icon "Thunder Run" or better known as "Looping Star" this season will drive its final laps. Millions of visitors to the park have a ride, including Dutch celebrities, such as Linda de Mol. The former Slagharen Pony Park was the first park in the Netherlands where you went over the top in a roller coaster.

The rollercoaster is on the site of the Thunder Loop and the lawn that lies ahead. The track is quieter, more and more spectacular than the current roller coaster.

Goodbye Thunder Run!

Did you know that ... Thunder Loop?

Designed by Anton Schwarzkopf
Designed as a mobile roller coaster for German fairs. could not stay behind the Netherlands after its introduction in Germany
when time Looping Star, was ordered in 1978
was completed in June 1979
when opened by Pieter van Vollenhoven
1st looping was in Netherlands
in 37 years, 1x completely disassembled
The plan was to put him in another place
which is now the entrance to Thunder Loop, was the starting
He has had over 4 different colors through the years ....
Question and answer

Why the Thunder disappears walk from the amusement park?
The maintenance of the Thunder Walk will rise in the coming years, which has made it economically interesting to invest in a new roller coaster. We can also offer visitors a new experience.

Can I still make a safe ride in the Thunder Loop?
Yes, certainly. Daily Thunder Run is checked by our technical service. There is also an extensive yearly audit by an independent inspection body.

When the Thunder disappears walk from the amusement park?
The Thunder Walk will be demolished in the fall of 2016 to make room on the same site for a new roller coaster.

How the new roller coaster will look like?
At the site of the Thunder Run is a new spectacular roller coaster with at least one inversie.Een inversion is a roller coaster where one element short time hanging upside down. Further details will be made public in the coming weeks, keep our newsletter and social media good eye.

When the new roller coaster will open?
The new roller coaster will open in spring 2017. An exact opening date is currently not known, like our newsletter and social media good eye.

#MissionWildWest

Follow us on Facebook for hints about our new rollercoaster through #MissionWildWest and stay tuned!

Thunder_Loop_7.jpg

http://www.slagharen.com/nl/missionwild ... 3d&urlid=1

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: Atractiepark Slagharen to Build a New Coaster in 2017

That's so sad. I was literally just looking at this park and making a list of all the old creds in Europe that I still need to visit.

I know some people don't give two hoots about them and obviously these things are getting more and more expensive to upkeep so they are gonna go eventually. But I love the forces in the old circular loops and I'm not ashamed to be sad. Hope they get something good to replace it.

Martyn B

CF Legend

You're not alone Sue, I have a lot of love for these! In fact this coaster was the main draw for me to go here (as a part or a Dutch trip mind), so I'm gutted to hear this, especially as it's likely to be replaced by something generic.

Hang on though, wasn't it this place that was heavily rumoured to get an Intamin Mega lite a couple of years back?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

That would be sweet as there are not nearly enough Megalites in the world, but the article that Tilen posted suggests an inversion so...

But I doubt the park can afford anything that decent.

davidm

Strata Poster

Ahh this is sad. So sad in fact that I've just decided to pop in there in the morning to show it some goon-love.

(to be fair, was gonna pop into one of the parks between where I am now (Zwolle) and Bremen airport to get home ; its just won the vote over Hellendoorn's Tornado thats all)

:)

Sneaky

Roller Poster

Sad to see this coaster go, but Slagharen had quite some technical problems with it the last few years and I've heard it also had trouble getting through inspections. Hopefully its replacement will be good. :)
I've read on a dutch forum that some people from Slagharen (including the parks director Wouter Dekkers) have visited Tripsdrill (home of Karacho) a while ago.

Martyn B said:
Hang on though, wasn't it this place that was heavily rumoured to get an Intamin Mega lite a couple of years back?

Actually, the rumor was about an iSpeed clone. (which I think would have been awesome :) )

davidm

Strata Poster

david morton said:
...I've just decided to pop in there in the morning to show it some goon-love.
And I did. :)

Was good, extremely slow lift hill though (slower than walking pace), perhaps thats the maintenance problems? The ride itself was good enough for a 37 year old thing though.

:-(

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

They were meant to get an Ispeed clone and then the park was bought out by Parque Reunidos and the whole thing dropped off the map.

2012-04-30_islag2.jpg

I would imagine this new ride is something completely different though. If someone knows the park maybe they can say if the above plans are in the same area as the Looping Star.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Mysterious Sue said:
But I doubt the park can afford anything that decent.

This park has ridiculous visitor figures though, something crazy like 8m a year (don't quote me on that, but it is certainly a lot higher than you'd expect from a park that just has two off the shelf coasters).

Ben

CF Legend

^I really doubt that since that would make it the second most visited park in Europe.

It's not even in the top 25 according to TEA.

Lofty

CF Legend

Hope they do get an iSpeed clone, it's fab.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

Lofty said:
Hope they do get an iSpeed clone, it's fab.

I don't think a park that small could afford an Intamin clone of that size. Maybe a Gerstlauer launcher could fit the bill, plus they ride rather nicely...

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

While I think a Gerstlauer Launcher is more likely, I don't think we are to say what the park can and can't afford.
The argument that "the park seems small", doesn't really hold up when we look at past investments from parks of similar size. Besides, this is just from our perspective, of course there is a lot to more to it on a business level.

Ireeb

Mega Poster

I think something like Karacho (Gerstlauer Launched Infinity Coasters) would fit that park well. A rather small rollercoaster that is lots of fun and serves a pretty wide audience (I have a photo of me on Karacho and the age of the riders reached from about 40 to 12, which kinda proves that it attracts many different people.), and that's probably what a park that doesn't have too many rollercoasters yet wants.

Sneaky

Roller Poster

In 2015, Attractiepark Slagharen had 997,000 visitors. To put that in perspective, Walibi Holland only had 860,000 visitors. A few years ago, Slagharen claimed to have a much higher amount of visitors (1.45 million in 2011), but those numbers were false. (New management of Slagharen acknowledged the false numbers)

A list of the top 50 attractions of the Netherlands in 2015 can be found here:
http://www.respons.nl/nieuws/top50-dagattracties-2016-efteling-blijft-meest-bezochte-dagattractie

_koppen

Hyper Poster

oriolat2 said:
I don't think a park that small could afford an Intamin clone of that size.

Bullcrap. Small parks make big investments all the time.

TilenB

Strata Poster

The park is owned by the same company (Parques Reunidos) as Mirabilandia is. Why couldn't they afford an iSpeed clone, when there is the original operating in their sister park?

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Because not all parks are given the same budgets, even if they are owned by the same parent company. The budget for each park is defined on their attendance and gross income, not a cost spread out to all parks equally.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

But if Parques Reunidos wanted to boost Slagharens annual attendance figures and its gross income they could quite easily do so with a larger investment as they have the cash. Its how parks grow and reach new audiences.