What's new

Anti-Rollbacks on Old Schwarzkopfs/Zierers

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've always thought that the Zierer/Schwarzkopfs (Knightmare, Jetline and Lisebergbanan) had a weird track and lift design, and I could never figure out where the Anti-Rollbacks were placed on the lift hill. You can quite clearly hear their presence, but I can't see them.

Does anyone know where they are positioned non the track? Here is a video of Jetline for reference:-

Also how the hell can the lift chain curve like that? Are the links designed to articulate left and right?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
You can see the chain is in a trough pretty clearly in the video so that is how it curves. As for rollbacks they might be on the sides of the chain groove or tbh the chain itself looks like it's sturdier than a normal one so maybe they counted on that being enough? I know you can hear a similar sound but it's a bit different to normal to probably just a slightly different design.

Dar

Hyper Poster
The curve is possible because they don't use a traditional chain like on most rides, but an ordinary chain together with spacer shoes and just two train dogs. They work similarly to Gerst lifts in that regard.

As for the rollbacks, I think it's these notches on the side of the chain guide. Old Anton was good at hiding his safety features
XfK1ndH.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
After riding and studying Jetline far too many times over the past two days, I don't think it uses traditional rollbacks. Instead I think it uses a pair of brakes on the train similar to SLCs. The train can go up the lift but going backwards causes them to cam back and squeeze the chain guide.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
After riding and studying Jetline far too many times over the past two days, I don't think it uses traditional rollbacks. Instead I think it uses a pair of brakes on the train similar to SLCs. The train can go up the lift but going backwards causes them to cam back and squeeze the chain guide.
Have to admire that commitment Dar, remember back to this thread and studying the ride to check, almost 2 and half years later is very impressive. 👏

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The curve is possible because they don't use a traditional chain like on most rides, but an ordinary chain together with spacer shoes and just two train dogs. They work similarly to Gerst lifts in that regard.

As for the rollbacks, I think it's these notches on the side of the chain guide. Old Anton was good at hiding his safety features

I guess this makes sense, given Gerst was formed by former employees of Anton.