What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

The entereance looks awful and tacky. The ride itself looks awesome and incredible, it looks fast!

Fantastic!!

The off-ride video has surprised me by the speed of thing. It looks just utterly fantastic. Gerstlauer's more recent coasters seem to be packing an almighty punch when it comes to speed.
I am just hoping that it's not too rough.

I am however having trouble defending that entrance! It really does look very tacky as it stands now.

Really looking forward to the 23rd now after seeing all this, the atmosphere on park that day is going to be electric! :D

It rattles like hell on that on ride video, but Jesus does it look intense, can't wait for this!

I find Nemesis pretty rough, but it never deters from the sheer brilliance of the ride!

It doesn't look anywhere as bad as Saw, so far:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJCdwlNNbSs[/youtube]

That ride looks incredible... I cant wait to ride it when i go in June!

On the roughness... to be honest i dont know whether the footage from the video is actually a good representation of whether this is actually rough or not... it could just simply be a camera that either isnt very good or hasnt been mounted properly! watching her head as it goes round, it looks fairly normal for a ride that inverts quite a lot... sure its not as smooth as a B&M... but they are much larger, don't tend to have anywhere near this many inversions and aren't doing the elements anywhere near as fast as this ride does!

If when you go on it, it turns out to be really rough, than by all means, comment that it is rough... i just dont think you can judge a coaster until you experience it... everyone always says that pictures and videos dont do rides justice!

Sorry, where's the photos of the entrance?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

A Breakdown of the Euro-Fighter coasters I've ridden & roughness:

1) Saw - It was slightly rough, had smooth-ish parts for most of the layout
2) Rage - Seem'd quite rough on the 1st drop, prob down to the sea salt
3) Speed - The roughest part was just before the loop.
4) Typhoon - Not that rough, but had some parts which moved my head sideways
5) Smiler - I'll find out on the 20th June if it's open.

Gerstlauer is not known to create smooth coasters, but they are improving. B&M are "God's" of the coaster world, if you want make a statement for your park, call B&M. :--D :--D

Joey said:
Sorry, where's the photos of the entrance?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

179189_10151576109172440_20125270_n.jpg

There you go Joey :)

**** me, that has to be temporary....?

Full pov of the outside section of the ride is up! http://vimeo.com/65887753 Is it just me or does this look like the smoothest Gerst ride yet! And how on earth it keeps that pace up is amazing, needless to say those airtime hills look godly! As if I needed to be more excited for the 23rd... Anyway, it's nice all the speculation about the lift hills can be put to rest, but is it just me or does it look like we will be getting a rather lengthily mid ride video on the screens before the vertical lift, you seem to be waiting there for a really long time compared to say saw, so it would be a bit of a waste if they didn't!

Aside from the god-awful entrance I think it looks superb. Considering the space restrictions they've fit a hell of a lot in such a relatively compact area. The whole back story is quite cool and sure, it may not be the smoothest of coasters* but it's a new, unique and interesting ride for the Towers. One that has been needed for a long time.

*assuming it's rough.

silenthillXD said:
Full pov of the outside section of the ride is up! http://vimeo.com/65887753 Is it just me or does this look like the smoothest Gerst ride yet!
With the right clamps and mounts, it's possible make any ride look smooth...

(You might have to turn off the 3D to see it properly)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_vs3qOdfU[/youtube]

Her head is bouncing all over the place, although that might be down to the intensity of the inversions rather than the Gerstlauer track & trains doing what they do worse.

I really, really hope I'm wrong about it being rough. And if I'm right, I really, really hope that the fanboys admit it, too!

I love the compact design of it all though, it's a work of art to look at.

The long exposure shot looks nice. Other than that? Not rerideable at all. Entrance makes RotM at USH coaster theming look good. Cardboard cutouts have never looked so amazing!

Ian said:
silenthillXD said:
Full pov of the outside section of the ride is up! http://vimeo.com/65887753 Is it just me or does this look like the smoothest Gerst ride yet!
With the right clamps and mounts, it's possible make any ride look smooth...

Ah fair enough, that video made shockwave look surprisingly rideable, shame thats not the reality. I think for the first half though, there didn't seem to be much head banging, where as the second half seemed to have some. But even then, that second airtime hill makes an already amazing looking ride, even better! The only bad thing about it that really annoys me is the entrance, everyone seems to agree, it just looks... tacky. Oh well, it's only an entrance.

Am I the only one not excited about this ride at all?
Gerstlauer just fails to impress me, I just find them very uncomfortable - I hoped this one was a little smoother but her head is being thrown from one side to another.

I prefer an SLC over any Gerstlauer ride, I ain't gonna lie - but now enough of letting off steam haha :)

So much of the excitement/adrenaline will be lost with the long pauses before the second lift </3

^I'm sure it's only temporary, anyway I'd be willing to sacrifice a little excitement for the dueling aspect of the ride!

This is fantastic news! Of course I'm dubious that it'll be smooth, Smiler will certainly be intense and forceful, judging by the size and pacing of the inversions,in addition the theming effort is exemplary.

If only Alton was open late at night....then it would seem totally awesome and formidable:

945067_561391320558717_1785575510_n.jpg

_67504275_smilerpa.jpg

article-2322355-19B5F810000005DC-107_964x591.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.