Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

^ The story counts as theming though. Even though I'm not entirely sure what the story is.

Anyhoo, the spider alone means it has more theming than air. Or Air or AIR, depending on how you want to write it.

Colossus

Giga Poster

That looks madder than a box of frogs, I may well just start getting excited for this soon.

Beans

Hyper Poster

I am just thinking how many boxes of paracetamol to buy looking at that tangle of track....lol

Colossus

Giga Poster

^
It is definitely a concussion waiting to happen.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Wonder if they're gonna do what they did when Stealth first opened? Set up shop next to the ride and try to shovel off as much Panadol as possible.

Rach

Giga Poster

Just 1 from me!

521567_10200460409569449_317102620_n.jpg

Peep holes are fun, especially ones that you can actually get the camera lens through! <3

I am so excited about this, I cannot wait for it to open and get back there.

Right from The Sanctuary back in October through to the actual construction I am amazed at what Alton have done here. It looks phenomenal. Yeah it probably won't ride very well but everything else about this ride is just brilliant! Shame about the manufacturer, but I can live with it! (I've never found Saw to be particularly vile...)

It's just a towering mess of twisted steel with not a straight bit in sight! Alton are really on to a winner with this one!

Cannot wait for May! So excited <3

elephant58

Hyper Poster

This really is looking great. When Takabisha opened, well, that was certainly tangly. But this.....

And the Colgate thing was a silly TT April Fools Joke. :)

Ethan

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:
And the Colgate thing was a silly TT April Fools Joke. :)

Oh thanks, I've been up all night trying to figure out if it was or not... :roll:

Rach

Giga Poster

The lift hills have only just today arrived on site! It's going to be a very very tight push to even get this open for May me thinks! If it is even going to be May, then my money is firmly on the bank holiday weekend in time for the May half term holiday or even the 31st!

543803_546298172068032_464681024_n.jpg

45256_546315385399644_1256629584_n.jpg

561329_546343195396863_1456988757_n.jpg

And it also now appears that we have the Flasher, Tickler and Giggler arms all in place on the Marmaliser!

528299_546375045393678_1505692446_n.jpg

All images are from The Alton Towers Guide!
https://www.facebook.com/thealtontowersguide

Martyn B

CF Legend

So all them people went crazy over it being Alton's fault for delaying the ride, yet it look's like it was actually Gerst...

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Martyn B said:
So all them people went crazy over it being Alton's fault for delaying the ride, yet it look's like it was actually Gerst...

How do you figure that? Just because the lift hill parts have only just arrived doesn't mean its Gerstlauers fault. The shipment may of been purposely delayed because of the troubles at the Towers such as the leaking pipe into the pit, bad weather, ect.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ So far, all of the ride has been stored far away from the construction site, so I dont think a leaking pipe is causing a back log of deliveries....

And I didn't say it was DEFINITELY GERSTS FAULT, I said it looks like that way...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Well, we did WARN them to not go back to Gerst... :p

To be fair, it being manufacturer delay doesn't sound unreasonable, but I wonder if it's also possible that those "parts" were just being stored elsewhere because they weren't ready for them? I wonder if the contractors who put the ride together are the ones who are in control over the deliveries and they liase with the manufacturer and the park so that they don't end up with parts sat on-site for weeks.

Either way, the fact that everything Merlin have done this year is delayed means that even if Smiler is a manufacturing delay, it's reasonable to blame Merlin. Though to be fair, I think their choice to delay is wise. They've learnt from opening attractions unfinished and the backlash it causes, though it does seem like the delays just encourage them to open unfinished... Just later on. :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

My friend from 'Towers who is doing the evac testing processes etc. has been told that it's unlikely to open in May as testing will have probably not started until towards the end of May. Obviously, she's not official word, but seeming as though she's been booked in to be a test rider for months and they've told her that directly, I trust this to be relatively reliable information.

It does look gorgeous though.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

If this makes May, it's going to be around about the last week. I'm not going till July so this doesn't bother me but this delay is going to be annoying to guests that pre-booked for May. However rides at Universal have been advertised to open in spring but open in the summer. As long as the ride is worth the wait, I'll be happy.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Martyn B said:
^ So far, all of the ride has been stored far away from the construction site, so I dont think a leaking pipe is causing a back log of deliveries....

And I didn't say it was DEFINITELY GERSTS FAULT, I said it looks like that way...

What is the point of having the deliveries of track if there is no where to put them easily or they are just not needed currently? The area where track is stored was full-ish a month or two ago. The deliveries might of purposely been delayed because of problems on site - which means they don't have need for the track as they are behind schedule. The leaking pipe was said to be an issue amongst other reasons for the delay.

marc

CF Legend

It should easily make May, it's only the start of April.

If this does not start testing in the next 2 weeks I will be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.