What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

I'm still certain that the trims were added because of that second lift hill.

There's no way that the layout was designed for the train to travel at the speed it does now. It practically comes to halt on that last twisty hill.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Th13teen's trims were defiently added for the second hill. Hence why it kept getting stuck on that paticular lift hill when it first opened cause the cars were entering it at to high a speed

(Which is about as fast as a tesco trolley) :roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Martyn B said:
I'm still certain that the trims were added because of that second lift hill.

There's no way that the layout was designed for the train to travel at the speed it does now. It practically comes to halt on that last twisty hill.

Nope, I can agree with that, but you said that they added the second lift because of the trims, not the other way around :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend

Well that's what I thought (swear I read it somewhere...), but you (kind of) corrected me.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Didn't want to create a separate topic but towerstimes have pics and info of Enterprise pretty much being gutted and rebuilt and painted black :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Uncle Arly said:
Didn't want to create a separate topic but towerstimes have pics and info of Enterprise pretty much being gutted and rebuilt and painted black :D
You mean like this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35199

;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

Shame they missed out on the chance to have two of them, rotating in different directions with the swirly logo to emulate the eyes.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I'm just going to throw this idea out there...

Is The Smiler inspired by Tillie/Fun Face from classic amusement parks?

220px-Tillie_(right_side).jpg

blackpool-pleasure-beach-entrance.jpg

bigface_luna_park.jpg

Is SW7 self representational, a ride themed to a ride? Like California Screamin?

Dar

Hyper Poster

The trouble is, The Smiler makes sense in the context of The Sanctuary, Doctor Kelman and the Ministry of Joy. If the "marmalisation" process doesn't work, you get taken to The Smiler.

If you've got no idea about any of that, then it makes no sense and sounds ridiculous. It'll very much depend on the queue line information/videos.

STC

Mega Poster

Joey, interestingly, the 'Fun Faces' you posted are very similar to the entrance of Carnival of Screams for the last three years:

4MHyO.jpg

Ethan

Strata Poster

I like the name, but not for the entire ride. If the 'secret element' was called that, I think it would be a nice touch.

Lofty

CF Legend

To be honest, I think you're on to something Joey. We know for definite that The Sanctuary is linked to this ride, the whole point of The Sanctuary was about the 'Ministry of Joy' who believe that Smiling is a way to end mental ailments and make the world a better place. Therefore, theming a ride to a ride, would make that much more sense, as a ride may have been created by the Ministry, who want to make people smile and enjoy it?

Bit of a strange explanation, I hope it makes sense. Ha.

TarinMaria

Mega Poster

I just read like fifteen pages of this topic, and... First of all, whatever the secret element is, I don't want to know until I go on it. Second of all, the name The Smiler sounds a bit lazy, and like someone went 'just call it that' - much like the placing of Rita it would seem (*given a map, closes eyes, waves finger over map* "Put it there" *Places finger*). The idea of 14 inversions to me sounds simply sickening. I hope the washing machine element isn't true, because I don't think my stomach could handle it </3. I'll try not to make a judgement on this ride until I have been on it, and not get excited or be annoyed by it until then. In comment to the public being idiots - the public are idiots. Rides like Saw and Rita and Stealth are popular because of the speed or the gimmick and not because they are good rides. Yeah... Anyway, I'm done now :p

NickkyG

Mega Poster

Is that wiggly bit just to the left of the brown box on the plan the path down to the base of the pit? Doesn't look like very easy access if so...

Status
Not open for further replies.