What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Agree Ben and they not everyone is agreeing with the statement due to a few errors.

nealbie

CF Legend
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

If you read the application, the "including 'beyond vertical' drop" bit is referring to Saw and what it has extra. As clearly the submitted plans don't include a beyond vertical drop lol.

But hey ho. I still want the station to get rejected and they build the ride anyway to spite.

I find it most bizarre how people, very clever people, choose to believe MNC's like Merlin are idiots. Odd =/

Ben

CF Legend

^I think it's smarter to assume people make mistakes than to assume everyone's right all the time.

Martyn B

CF Legend

The fact that Alton say its a Gerstlauer, when they dont even need permission for it, definitely makes me think this is all false.

Can't anyone else remember the plans for the Vekoma Motorbike in the Gloomy Wood which were submitted to the Council, but all of a sudden, BAM, Rita appears...

dominoes

Mega Poster

df01.jpg

Originally planned for the Dark Forest. A vertical launch coaster, with lap bars.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

But, as pointed out, other things in that statement (that it has a beyond vertical drop) are false, so it throws doubt on the rest of the statement.

If one part is unresearched, it might all be.

That's not saying it WILL be, but, it does downgrade it from an absolute certainty to just a probability.
I love this post by Ben, because it's the kind of thing atheists say to theists about their holy books.

Here's a list of evidence against it being Gerst.

* The sound report has inaccuracies.
* Peep told me today that the budget listed for this is a whopping £20 mill. How do you get a Gerst to cost £20 mill?
* It has few block sections. That's a very un-Gerstlauer thing anyway, and it also means this ride will have terrible capacity unless it has a train, also a very un-Gerstlauer thing to do. Their new cars have even fewer seats.
* The track style portrayed in the plans is not like any other Gerstlauer.
* The company supposedly sued them over incompetence issues with Saw.

Frankly, the sheer cost of it is evidence enough it's one of the more expensive manufacturers. That coupled with the fact it must have trains for capacity reasons... I think that can only be Intamin. That isn't wishful thinking, it's logical thinking.

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Well said joey and am pleased someone else has posted about the Saw law suit.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

Regardless of the manufacturer, I'm pretty sure that the world's first part will be linked to the duelling nature of the coaster, rather than a particular element.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Maverick was advertised with the 'worlds first horse shoe roll', to the general public this would've worked. But to a enthusiast it didn't quite wash.

I know an SW at Alton doesn't mean it has to contain a worlds first, but the cobra roll intertwined with the elongated batwing could be classed as a worlds first inversion, hence the new 'worlds first' section on the ride.

Could we be seeing a multi-car train X-Car? My bet is what ever it is, it has a train. Capacity is a big thing at Alton, so I think this will be one of the major factors.

Jools

Giga Poster

dominoes said:
df01.jpg

Originally planned for the Dark Forest. A vertical launch coaster, with lap bars.

Omg I remember that, perhaps Merlin have kept this in minds for X Sector so went for something different in the Dark Forest. It would make sense. I think there is a high chance of the worlds first factor coming from the car design. Is there a stand up launched coaster anywhere? Just a wild stab in the dark though.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Can we just make it clear that regarding concept art like that... It's highly unlikely that an image like that is portraying ride type. It's going for general feel, theme, concept, etc.

Off topic slightly, but is the car in that image Wicked?

Jools

Giga Poster

Joey said:
Can we just make it clear that regarding concept art like that... It's highly unlikely that an image like that is portraying ride type. It's going for general feel, theme, concept, etc.

Yes it is which is funny because someone was talking about Wicked a page or two back.

Ben

CF Legend

Uh, is there any proof that's real?

Because, that's CLEARLY Oblivion's art that's been photoshopped.

And just because they were considering one for another part of the park doesn't really mean much. This also isn't going to be a Booster Bike.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

^That pic was part of the mood board stuff they did for Dark Forest, with the RoboArms as well, so it's real... Just horrible photoshopping...

Martyn B

CF Legend

Ok, just for the record, I only brought up the whole Booster Bike thing because it was false, and this may be too...

Jools

Giga Poster

Just a note. The concept art for Th13teen also came with that image, which showed a coaster train dropping didn't it? So if we got that, that means we could easily be seeing on of these other concepts. Wouldn't surprise me if Sub-Terra were the robot-arms actually. If not something similar.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Jools said:
Joey said:

Yes it is which is funny because someone was talking about Wicked a page or two back.
Yeah, that was me. :p

It's not being used in that image for anything other than creative reasons. The picture used might have, for example, been easy to cut out.

Uh, is there any proof that's real?

Because, that's CLEARLY Oblivion's art that's been photoshopped.
A lot of creative companies badly and quickly mash together stuff in photoshop to get an idea out quickly for stuff like mood boards, which are really just visuals to help explain the idea between individuals within the company. You don't want to waste time on something that may never happen. They certainly did it at both creative offices I've worked in. It doesn't need to be good. I'd guess it's real, it looks it to me. My guess is that it would be better if it was fan made. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.