What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Joey has come up with a very interesting idea with Zierer I think. Not sold, but it is interesting... Wicked certainly looks similar in many ways, but the sheer scale of these plans surely rules out Zierer???

It wouldn't surprise me if Alton were dumb enough to go with Zierer but I'd actually kill myself if that happened.

Urgh that'd be worse than a Gerstauler </3 why can't it just be a fab Intamin. Though the sheer length of it points me towards someone cheaper - long but cheap track. Which then rides cheap.

If it's a Zierer the only thing that would make it up would be if the entire planning team lined up on the top of the Towers and all disemboweled themselves with a rusty samurai sword as repentance.

I've read that Wicked is quite reliable though, so could be what the park is looking for.

Plus...first UK vertical launch?!

Mysterious Sue said:
I've read that Wicked is quite reliable though, so could be what the park is looking for.

Plus...first UK vertical launch?!
I've just thought that the straight bit before that vertical lift is a block brake isn't it... Derp didn't occur to me before.

Doesn't Wicked launch into the vertical bit and then continue to launch? This one at Alton would need to launch from a vertical position. That would be a world's first, no? And they could pass it off as "world's first vertical launch" probably. Every other one does it whilst already in motion?

We've sussed that it doesn't have a beyond vertical drop, so how can it be a Eurofighter? Sure, it may be a Gerstlauer, and it looks like it would be a new model, but surely the definition of a Eurofighter is the plus-vertical drop?

Good point actually. The Eurofighter is all about the vertical lift/beyond vertical drop, which this clearly doesn't have, so its definitely NOT a Eurofighter, but could still be Gerstlauer.

I still dont know how I feel about Gerst. Didn't have a single problem with Rage and Anubis, but Saw and Speed can go die...

The cynic in me thinks that interlocked cobra/batwing is the world first :(

Good addition netherthless. It seems to balance well with Alton's lineup.

This is just WOW in so many ways! First of all I never thought Alton would build such a "big" coaster! Not big in terms of height, but big in terms of long layout and many elements. This looks really messed up with all the inversions, vertical lift, indoor section etc etc. And I just love the interlocking cobra-roll/batwing! I have high expectations for this, regardless of manufacturer :)

..but if I were to guess manufacturer I would say Maurer Söhne. There's many things leading me to this conclusion: The most striking one is the lift hill structure wich is identical to the one on HRRR! The vertical lift but not vertical/beyond vertical drop is also something Maurer has done before. Then there's the tubular track which is the same as Maurer uses. And it's just the way the bankings are made, it looks very "Maurer Söhne" to me!

Very excited!

It may be new type of Euro-Fighter. I'm sure if Alton Towers wanted a ride without a vertical/beyond vertical drop they could easily be accommodated.

^ The point I was getting at was the 'Eurofighter' element as such is the vertical lift and beyond vertical drop, which this coaster doesn't have, so its not a Eurofighter.

It would be the same as someone saying Skyrush is the new type of Intamin Accelerator.

Martyn B said:
^ The point I was getting at was the 'Eurofighter' element as such is the vertical lift and beyond vertical drop, which this coaster doesn't have, so its not a Eurofighter.

It would be the same as someone saying Skyrush is the new type of Intamin Accelerator.

It could be a new generation of the the Euro-Fighter. The name or 'model' is fairly irrelevant as this is clearly going to be a new design.

For those hellbent on it being something other than Gerstlauer, why has the similarities to Vekoma's new track design not been discussed?

And why is the possibility of Zierer such a bad thing? Wicked is a fantastic ride, and right in this vein with better throughput than a Eurofighter.

For those hellbent on it being something other than Gerstlauer, why has the similarities to Vekoma's new track design not been discussed?
They have, and I wouldn't rule them out. The thing that makes me think it's not one is that it's supports aren't messy enough.

And why is the possibility of Zierer such a bad thing? Wicked is a fantastic ride, and right in this vein with better throughput than a Eurofighter.
Indeed, I'd rather them than Gerst.

Rationally, my head is saying "it's a cheap manufacturer whatever it is because it's so damn long", which would rule out Intamin and Vekoma...?

Pfft. Enthusiasts. The only people who will refuse to accept it's something they don't like as much as other stuff even though it's officially been said it is.

Alton Towers' wording is that it IS a Gerstlauer. Not similar to like when they said their 2010 coaster would have a similar noise level to a similar ride type at another Merlin park (Th13teen and X:\wtf). But that it IS of the same type and manufacturer of, specifically, Saw at Thorpe Park.

Nic's highlighted it a few times, yet everyone is ignoring what's smacking them straight in the face just because they don't like it. This IS some sort of development of the Eurofighter coaster and even though it's only going to be Will that agrees with me, if it turns out ANYTHING like the bastard love-child of Fluch and Lynet that it looks, it'll be nothing short of blooming marvellous <3.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

^ I have been waiting for that post lol for the enthusiast part :).

People are right what they are saying though. If its them making it though it's not a eurofighter. If you go on their website a eurofighter has a vertical drop and a vertical climb. This is a new type of coaster by them but it's not a eurofighter.

Exactly Marc, it's an evolution of the Eurofighter and a Gerstlauer built roller coaster.

I do worry about capacity, but I sure as hell hope they use 6 seat instead of 8 seat! :lol:

Thing is it won't be called a eurofighter Neal as it cannot be as it is not one. As said a eurofighter by their own discription has a vertical climb and a vertical drop, this coaster does not therefore it is as much a eurofighter as lynet it's not and people need to stop saying it is.

Exactly. Why post the same thing twice? lol

It's not going to be a Eurofighter, obviously, there's no beyond vertical drop, but it's going to be one in all but name and that element. So I totally agree with you.

Was replying to the point that you said it would be an evolution of a Eurofighter :).

All I'm saying is people need to get the Eurofighter name out their heads for this as its not correct. If anything it's a evolution of their other style coaster.

I also think the plans can be read either way, so until there is an official announcement it could still be anyone's. I just find it hard to believe its them due to the Saw problems and the cancelled coaster.

I would not even rule out Mack on this coaster. They use that style of track, use then inversions but they as yet have not built a vertical climb but it could be a 1st for them.

Yes the money is on the others but so many ruled out Intamin for 13 and it turned out to be them.

I'd much rather it was someone else, as I'd like this ride to not be guaranteed Godawful in 5 years time. But they've said it's Gerstlauer, so it's Gerstlauer. If they'd have said similar like when submitting for Th13teen's noise pollution, then yeah, there'd be hope, alas no.

I know we like to pretend these massive companies are stupid, it's fun. But unfortunately they're not. :p

But, as pointed out, other things in that statement (that it has a beyond vertical drop) are false, so it throws doubt on the rest of the statement.

If one part is unresearched, it might all be.

That's not saying it WILL be, but, it does downgrade it from an absolute certainty to just a probability.

Status
Not open for further replies.