What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I so hope its not a Eurofighter, they're horrid. However, give me a Gerst Launch (Anubis <3) anyday.

And I kinda agree with Jake, it doesn't look like it would suit Alton. The side-on views make it look pretty ugly.

But I think there's one thing we have to remember here, and Hixee picked up on it earlier, this could be false, and I think I'm correct in thinking Alton have done that before, submitted plans for a ride they never intended on building?? (or maybe it was that they submitted plans for something larger than they actually wanted, which got refused, so when resubmitted with the real plans (smaller), they got accepted?). Something like that rings a bell anyway.

spicy

Giga Poster

Why do people keep mentioning a 2nd lift hill? Unless I have missed something on the plans I swear there is only one?

Martyn B

CF Legend

It looks like there is a vertical lift, and a standard lift.

But to me, from the plans looking above, it looks like there's a launch from inside that building?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

As I wrote this post I realised some things.

I was going to comment on the messy supports and say they looked very MS or Vekoma, but Shock and that crap in Singapore has far messier supports than this does.
iui2qsd8uggt20015ja022.jpg

foci4ol4aa8004lh8088bb.jpg

The number and messy nature of the supports is really important, because I would have thought they really, really matter on he planning application, the style of the track doesn't.

So I went to look at Farenheit again...
c3s71v8g004mp8088bbha7.jpg

And thought oh that looks nothing like the Alton thing. But wait..
hlfqoald8fq60035na0222.jpg

Actualy kinda does a bit?

But then I realised Intamin have changed their style since then. So I go to look at Intimidator...
6hj001iol0111dc85g88qh.jpg

Which is kinda the same, too. The only difference is they are more open at the top.

So I continue to bet on it being Intamin.

Though, Rockit's lift is more similar...
b0m0u6g006bkk0445lonkp.jpg

I think we should have a sweepstake...

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Hmmmm interesting Joey.

Although after much thought I'm putting my money on Vekoma.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

10 pages since yesterday late afternoon, and I have established 3 things wading through it all:

1. ZOMG Alton is building something big
2. It will have several inversions
2. Everyone will hate it for some reason or another, but most hate will come if it is a eurofighter

That's a good summary right?

If it is Gerstlauer, well for everyone's comfort you better pray they use NTG restraints, as they were the most comfortable restraints I have ever experienced. Granted since this will be inverting it is unlikely, but you can hope.

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

X car launch out the building up that hill, that's what it looks like to me.

Mark

Strata Poster

The plans are irritating. I am trying to work out the actual height of the coaster. Its no wonder it was mis-read as the height being 195metres. It just has a label at the top saying 'New High Point - 195m'. From what, I can only assume, is sea level.

It does have little height markers throughout the document denoted by green lines with a measurement from ground level to the top of the coaster at that point... Except the coaster is not built on flat ground and ironically the highest point on the coaster actually sits on ground that is roughly the same height as the maintenance shed (7.75m).
The bit of land that it sits on, plus the highpoint above ground level which is 22.15m, would mean that the higest to lowest point is 29.9m. Then I noticed the trench on the left which has no measurement to say how deep it is, I reckon about 3 or 4 metres. So a rough highest to lowest point of about 34metres (111.5 ft).

The planning application cover letter does say that it will not be anymore than 25m above ground level at any one point and has a line running along at the top to show that limit point (going further up on the right of the image)

newcoaster.jpg

I'm just trying to work out the actual height. At the moment, I'm taking it from the highest to lowest point which is How do they measure Nemesis? Is that from highest to lowest point? Help Furie... You're normally really good at dicephering Mark-Speak :p

Don't ask me why its bothering me, I don't actually know, its just irritating me.

aliman

Mega Poster

Just want to say at this point, this looks awesome! I'm guessing it's an x-car but i'm not too sure, i just want a decent ride.

Smithy

Strata Poster

The weird mix of inversions at the bottom end of the ride screams duelling to me. But I can't make out anything else from the plans and it'd be awfully short if so.

Also don't understand why Alton would release the plans of the ride when they're under no obligation to do so?

Mark

Strata Poster

Smithy said:
Also don't understand why Alton would release the plans of the ride when they're under no obligation to do so?

The plans are on the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council website as a new application. I believe most councils publish ALL planning applications for the purpose of ensuring that if the public (within that constituency) wish to comment they can. I'm not sure on the full legal obligation side of it though. Its not so much that Alton have released the plans, more that they have submitted them to the council.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I wondered along with Ben, but they probably have to to prove that the new structures are within the dimensions they need to be to pass unaffected.

Mark

Strata Poster

Hang on, did I read that wrong? Are they actually under no obligation to submit a planning application??? I remember reading on here somewhere that some areas of the park do not need planning permission but I didn't that area of the park was one of them???

Ben

CF Legend

^That's what people are saying, which is confusing me and Joey <///3

Mark

Strata Poster

I think Phil (furie) mentioned it to me, but I cant be 100% sure. I just remember someone saying that areas of the park needed no planning application. However, I would find it incredibly odd if X-Sector was one of those sections. Only because of all the Roper fuss over Oblivion. Perhaps that freedom has been revoked whilst there is a court investigation thing going on??? Your guess is as good as mine.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

tomahawKSU said:
1. ZOMG Alton is building something big
2. It will have several inversions
2. Everyone will hate it for some reason or another, but most hate will come if it is a eurofighter

Prefect :lol: , I think it looks awesome and I hope its an X-car, Eurofighters are overrated. Also the track looks nothing like a Gerstlauer so why would it be a Eurofighter?

JAMMYD777

Roller Poster

Just a quick and simple preview giving a rough idea on what the ride will be like!

Search for my channel if you wish to view: JAMMYD778

Overall though, I am really looking forward to this. What with the Swarm and now this, the next few years are going to be great for the UK in my opinion.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

^ Or just put it here..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6m7bWmgd4E&context=C3741272ADOEgsToPDskJcDdPTBawZtMj_bE3Sbytl[/youtube]

Muttlee

Roller Poster

Hi all, just to clear up a few points that have been discussed earlier today on towers times...

The ride is in an area that already has consent for a certain amount of development. The coaster plans are covered by this, but the height of the station building isn't covered by this general permission. Although it seems strange, AT have included the coaster plans for a "full and complete representation". My personal thought is that this means they've submitted a noise report which wouldn't actually have been needed for the building, but with the ongoing Ropers argument in this area of the park is a nice little document to enhance towers side.

If you read point 3.1 of the Noise Report submitted with the application, it states... "The Thorpe Park ride "Saw" is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride." This pretty much confirms it's a varient of Eurofighter, although the layout and CAD track would suggest this is a new version we've not seen before.

Hope this info is useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.