What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I don't think it will be dueling... just saying.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^No, it's not going to duel, but there is definitely going to be interaction between trains on the two interlocking cobra roll things. :roll:

Nic

Strata Poster

^^^again...

Nic said:
The Noise Report said:
Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.
Doesn't necessarily mean they're not telling porkies (or using some "interesting interpretation"), but why does everyone keep ignoring this? I don't think it's unreasonable for us to report it as a Eurofighter given the passage above?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^ because that says it has a beyond vertical drop.. take a look at any of the plans and you can see both the coasters main drops are very similar to air's drop.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Nic said:
Nic said:
The Noise Report said:
Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

Doesn't necessarily mean they're not telling porkies (or using some "interesting interpretation"), but why does everyone keep ignoring this? I don't think it's unreasonable for us to report it as a Eurofighter given the passage above?

Where does it say anything about a beyond vertical drop?
I thought was just Joey's interpretation when I read it first time round.
The noise section of this report simply compares it to Saw:
http://tinyurl.com/772lbnh

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Ben

CF Legend

I don't understand why if the building is the only thing that needs permission because it's a special section, why are they submitting an application for the whole ride and not for just the building?

And why would they need to submit a noise application?

Has that idea actually come from anywhere? It just seems weird with all the trouble with Oblivion, that part of the park would be able to chuck ANYTHING in?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Probably because times have change since Oblivion. Now there's this thing called "Noise pollution"

Some more detailed pictures:

Lep8T.png

qOXzM.png

An interesting Track spine eh?

And a youtube video summarizing several things...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__6UHvtAw8[/youtube]

I'm rather intrigued, and excited about this new coaster. Perhaps Gerstlauer have a new track design???

Ben

CF Legend

^You didn't answer by post at all, you go girl!

And I agree that looking at the track/supports it looks like an X Car.

Eh.

Jake

Strata Poster

I can't make my mind up about this.

I can see exactly why they want to build it, and why the GP will love it, but I dunno...

I'm glad they want to use the Black Hole site FINALLY, and I'm shocked how big it is, but nothing about it really stands out from what I can see... it's just loads of inversions, loads. Also, I doubt we'll see much theming on such a compact layout like that.

I guess I'm just bitter because I know this will be the last major coaster at Alton for a good few years, and it's not what I wanted. It would be great for somewhere like Drayton, Flamingo Land or even a Six Flags park, but not Alton... not Alton.

Oh, and whoever wrote the main site article should be ashamed of themselves. <////3.

Or their new X train perhaps? Though that looks a little too tight for that. And if it is Gerstlaur Im guessing they are using a new concept or using the eurofighter trains and system on a megalooper. Very strange. I think it may be Maure Sohne though, it just seems that way.

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Seeing them plans in detail it looks more like an xcar than a euro fighter. The start and the lift hill looks like a mix of the one at Rainbow Magicland and Universal studios.

After what happened with Saw and Merlin reported to sue them I don't think it's a eurofighter.

Didnt know about a lawsuit, interesting. I doubt after that they would deal with them Im banking on X car.

costar

Mega Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
Where does it say anything about a beyond vertical drop?
I thought was just Joey's interpretation when I read it first time round.
The noise section of this report simply compares it to Saw:
http://tinyurl.com/772lbnh

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Ah, yes, I see. You are looking in the wrong place. You need to read document 28 on this link:

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... &module=P3

Fair enough Nic, that does say "same manufacturer". I'm still not totally convinced though. A noise report done in a rush by a non-rides-savy engineering consultancy.. it could have mistakes. I still think the news report on the homepage could use a tweak or two.

Mark

Strata Poster

I initially thought it had a beyond vertical drop too. First glance of the side elevations it was really hard to tell what was what.

Thankfully, after looking at the plans a bit more it is a bit clearer and it definately doesn't have a beyond vertical drop. It's just a lift hill. I'm not convinced about the manufacturor/model just yet - since it seems to be a hot topic of discussion. The only bit that does make me wonder is the 2nd lift structure. It reminds me of Rip Rockets structure tbh. However, I will reserve judgement for now.

Rather than this being a duelling coaster or a mobious loop, could it be that the 2 sections have been designed so that the cars pass each other at the interlocking sections?

Favourite bit so far is the spaghetti bowl of track around the cobra roll :)

dominoes

Mega Poster

Am I getting this right? It has a vertical lift, a wierd turn, and then a verticle drop? (Refering to CoasterCrazy's pictures)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Yes, I suppose so. And then it gets launched again somewhere else,or vice versa, (hopefully without a long pause)

Ben said:
^You didn't answer by post at all, you go girl!

Eh.

Sorry, but what actually is a go girl? I know its offensive though!

Anyway, last time I checked, the black hole tent was being used for storage. Now I wonder where all that will go???

bob_3_

Giga Poster

I see no evidence of a launch. And the only vertical part is a lift hill, it's clear from the shaping.

The only drops on this coaster are relatively shallow actually. Still looks boss though.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Thanks very much costar :)
I guess it could be sloppy report compilation, but if it says same manufacturer, then I imagine it is! As for the vertical drop reference however, you could read it as simply stating Saw's reason for noise. It doesn't directly say Alton's will have one too.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: New

Mysterious Sue said:
As for the vertical drop reference however, you could read it as simply stating Saw's reason for noise. It doesn't directly say Alton's will have one too.
Yeah, the more I've read it tonight, the more this interpretation is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.