What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Would have hoped so, but looks like they just left to late as well lol.

The Smiler FAQ now just says "closed" no time period.

Not good

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe this thread will one day be merged with the "longest SNBO" one? ;)

In those pics above it looks like they're having to extend the height of the queueline above what they originally wanted to. Plus add what looks to be a solid covering over the top. Going to be very claustrophobic inside there. Not that that'll be an issue any time soon.

Found this on Towers Times. Not good...

Major Incident:

TowersTimes has learned that between the park closing on Thursday 23rd May and opening on Friday 24th, a major incident occurred during the ride's testing. This resulted in numerous issues with severe scraping to the track as well as an entire ride train being removed from the track after 'valleying' due to an undisclosed reason. Valleying is when a train stops on part of the track after being unable to complete the circuit under its own momentum. X Sector was closed to the public for the entire day so work on removing the train could take place out of sight of visitors although a replacement train was seen being lifted on to the ride later in the day.

No details on this incident have been released by The Alton Towers Resort and it is unlikely they will do so. However most references to the ride's opening date have now been removed from the official website. Due to the ongoing issues with the ride we believe it will not open for the foreseeable future and if you are planning to visit solely to ride The Smiler, you should hold off on purchasing tickets or making any other plans until further information is released.

TowersTimes will continue to bring you more details as and when we hear them. Our Facebook page and community forum are great places to check for updates during this time.

Hmmmmm.

Think they've put 2+2 together and might have got an answer. Whether it's the right answer as to what's going on I really don't know. Makes sense given the timeframe has changed and wording changed from unexpected teething to a technical problem.

I'm not sure I believe that?

I mean, what kind of incident could have caused scratching and a stall... Only one thing, a wheel assembly break, surely? Not impossible, but...

I'm not convinced. I suspect it valleyed and the scratches are just cosmetic.

If true, however, this'll be rough as balls when it finally opens. :(

Either way, this is getting to the point now where it must just feel like one thing after another for those involved.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Towers have tweeted a reply to someone who tagged in the Towers Times tweet quoted above saying only to believe official sources. Lul.

Looks perilously close to valleying in a few testing videos I've seen, mainly around the knot element. Said a few days ago I wonder if the trims on the hill have slowed it down too much.

Annoying that they've got the cheek to run adverts on national TV for the Smiler and finish it off with ''BOOK NOW''.

Are you all really going to risk an opening date visit or just wait until its open for a month or so?

We are going to wait.

Well I doubt I'll go back for it this year tbh. Will wait for it to be running problem-free for at least two months and risk it being rough as **** rather than risk a wasted journey.

with each passing day this situation is getting worse and worse.

ATTACKHAMMER was told by one of the ride ops at Thorpe Park today that it was actually closed due to the netting not being built yet. Whether this is true we of course don't know but at least if it IS that, it isn't the end of the world as it isn't anything to do with the actual coaster.

Has anyone actually seen The Smiler testing today/yesterday, or have ALL runs been cancelled for now (or done out of hours)

I wish Nick Varney would step up to the plate, because all you're attractions this year have failed us in one way of another.

Its such a shame, especially since Merlin offer us UK's "premier" theme parks, but its just run by greedy people. Give me the Tussauds Group any day!

Jordanovichy said:
with each passing day this situation is getting worse and worse.

ATTACKHAMMER was told by one of the ride ops at Thorpe Park today that it was actually closed due to the netting not being built yet. Whether this is true we of course don't know but at least if it IS that, it isn't the end of the world as it isn't anything to do with the actual coaster.

Has anyone actually seen The Smiler testing today/yesterday, or have ALL runs been cancelled for now (or done out of hours)

Might be 'partly' true, in recent days they have been seen to be extending the queuelines upwards and putting steel meshing over the top of them. But it's since changed to a 'technical issue' rather than a 'teething problem'.

I'm still banking on the trims causing it to valley rather than a major issue.

It won't be tested until they've identified why it valleyed and rectified it. Could be a wheel casing, type of wheel, issue with the track alignment or the trims.

Sorry for posting so quick after my last post but I wanted to add something.

If it IS (and only if) as serious as Towers Times are saying (or making up whichever your view), I wouldn't mind them sorting it out first...I am sure we would all rather it is shut (even indefinitely) if it means it will prevent a serious accident.

To be honest it is probably as simple as the netting or queue lines or similar, let's be honest, surely Alton Towers wouldn't leave the possibility of speculation of it opening 'tomorrow' as they perhaps hinted at on twitter and their website IF it was a serious as that, who knows? I'm just reading what people are saying on here, putting 2+2 together and making 5, XD

I'm still banking on the trims causing it to valley rather than a major issue.

If this is the case can the trims be taken away/reduced/changed to prevent this?

I am glad I didn't make any solid plans to visit Towers before Scarefest this year, anytime I have thought about going something else has come up and put an end to the idea, so I'll stick to going for Scarefest, the Smiler might be open by then!

All those jokes about it not opening this season are starting to become true now.

To be honest, I find it hard to believe a lot of what TowersTimes say.

Ethan said:
To be honest, I find it hard to believe a lot of what TowersTimes say.

They just seem desperate to be 'first' with news tbh. Some over there are still adament there's a 'secret element' Alton have kept hidden :p

The element of SURPRISE.

As in surprise we bought a Gerstlauer that doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.