What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

the king

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Just something I thought I would post. The uniform we saw the staff wear last week, I think it was, where they looked like Ronald McDonald is the same uniform worn by the riders in The Smiler game. I wonder if this is part of the story, that those people were the first successful converted people and now work for the MoJ.

Martyn B

CF Legend

That smiler logo is SO tacky!

Apart from that, they look quite good. Just a shame that they literally are made up of 2 Eurofighter trains bolted together!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Positively, these trains look like they'll be better than the boxy eurofighters.

579026_10151606753053185_1213636181_n.png

Each row is individual, rather than two rows as part of one ala saw:

55n039a9pbetjkb8g0g8a0.jpg

This'll mean the trains are much more flexible, and shouldn't feel so god awful riding the track.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ So you're saying it should ride like pulling a piece of string wound and pulled around a plastic straw instead of rolled up newspaper pulled around a tree trunk?

If you're correct, then the back seats of this ride could be potentially awesome. As each row will turn independently through the inversions compared the succeeding row, watching the rows in front quickly and methodically fall away inch by inch will create a **** up, unique, exhilarating experience.

Hmmm. All of a sudden, I have a feeling this might be...interesting.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Interesting. Hopefully the extra length permits greater flexibility.

Also: This gives them the opportunity to 'plus up' the ride in a couple years with lap bars. OR these are your straitjackets while you get converted.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

I wonder what the difference between these OTSRs and Iron Sharks lapbars have in terms of people of larger frame.

I know already that Saw's restraints (and I'm assuming all over Gerstlauer OTSRs) are actually much more lenient towards larger girths when compared to B&M and Intamin (I have a friend who can fit into Saw easily, but has trouble with the double buckle B&Ms, and cannot fit into any Intamin OTSR).

Maybe the girth allowance on Gerst lapbars is lower, so therefore Alton can fit a wider percentile of people in with OTSRs?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

You have a point there, and if so its a logical decision, but... Given the lack of such practical forethought on everything Merlin do, I'm not convinced it was a reason for the choices. But if its a positive coincidental outcome, then great.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Ben

CF Legend

I don't care if fatties can ride now, it's going to be horrific for everyone else!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Wait, so you're saying they put the restraints designed for 'normal' people in Texas, and the restraints designed for 'fatties' in the UK.

I'm not buying it. :lol:

Brookes

Giga Poster

I actually really like the trains. The colour scheme looks awesome and it's a really nice design. As far as comfort is concerned, well we'll see.

Kebab

Giga Poster

Meh, they're actually growing on me. Was really hoping for lap-bars like everyone else, but they remind me of mini B&M sit-down trains, and I love those.

Bizarrely, I'm looking forward to the station more than anything else so far, I'm a fan of Saws and Th13teens indoor section of the queue. Just little touches like lighting (or lack of), theming and music/ambience really add to the experience.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Gerstlauer trains are definitely not the most artsy compared to B&M and Disney Vekoma - so the trains look just like all the rest to me!

I always liked Eurofighters for their compact feel while riding, with lots of hangtime on top of drops and positive g's at the bottom. Elongating the trains with longer couplings should even out the pacing, which means even better airtime for the back row - I'm looking forward to seeing how the longer trains run!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Marmaliser is going up, with goons standing so close they can probably smell it...

579743_10151608201203185_1688378488_n.jpg

TTF's pic...

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

It's really shaping up quite nicely. Sounds like one of the legs is now in place <3

Lottie.

Mega Poster

Wow, they're really cracking on with this now. Can't wait to see the marmaliser completed :)

Smithy

Strata Poster

It looks like those berks have actually pulled some of the banner down to get a view.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Just a crazy thought here, but isn't it odd how the lift hills are the last things to be built, and I don't know about the first lift but I am pretty sure nobody has seen either lift hill on site. Considering there have been rumours that they are being kept offsite , doesn't this seem just slightly over the top for normal lift hills? Seeing as there have been no signs of any worlds first other than the inversion count, is it possible that there in lies the secret? I have no idea what that worlds first could be, but just wondering what people think, and if they have any thoughts?

Snoo

The Legend

This looks just completely terrible.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.