What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Apparently, on TT, they've gritted the area and shovels are in, so they're continuing with construction as normal.

owenrita121 said:
Best ride in the world on the card here. Never been this excited for a ride from Alton Towers, but this ride really is going to be something special!
Whilst its gonna be a good ride, best ride in the world? Very much doubt it.

Just wondering how long it'll take to roughen up like Saw has terribly.

Pft, Saw was bad on day one.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Didn't ride until 2010, but I can imagine that yeah.

Saw's still just as (awesome/bad*) as it was when it opened

(*) - delete as appropriate

Spoke to a member of staff at Thorpe Park today who had no clue Alton were building a coaster and that it would beat Colossus. - Well at least now he knows :)

Slightly off topic trip report coming tomorrow but Colossus and Saw weren't open today due to weather, stealth was intermittent and X still closed for refurb. All in all only three coasters were open for the whole day.

Lets hope The Smiler can run in colder weather than it's sister coaster at Thorpe.

caffeine_demon said:
Saw's still just as (awesome/bad*) as it was when it opened

(*) - delete as appropriate

Saw is Awesome!! Better than Swarm in my opinion.

Snow shot (from AT's twitter)

BGHx_SqCcAEMUG8.jpg:large

^Saw that on TT, very nice. Still quite a bit of construction to go though.

I always knew this was going to look impressive there, but that looks incredible. Apart from the broken track in the top right of that picture... Or that could be a snowflake on the camera ;)

furie said:
I always knew this was going to look impressive there, but that looks incredible. Apart from the broken track in the top right of that picture... Or that could be a snowflake on the camera ;)

Secret element?! :p

I went to Towers for opening weekend and I was mesmerised by the whole track when I saw. I didn't realise how far it comes over the toilet block. It is definitely going to be one of those coasters where lot's of interesting shots can be taken :)

I'm struggling to imagine the pace of this thing with these new trains.

The top speeds 52.8 mph but the drops just don't look big enough to pick up that sort of speed.

Wonder if its literally going to crawl through some of those inversions (like Saws Immelmann) or maintain a decent pace throughout...

^Yes, but just think of the speed Nemesis picks up from such a small drop. :wink:

I'm curious to see how these trains compare to usual Euro-Fighter ones, I hate the ones on Saw, but these almost looks like midget versions of B&M sit-down trains. For the pacing, I'm hoping for a mix really, I can imagine some nice hang time on the larger inversions, but plummeting through the tighter inversions.

This seriously needs to hurry up, because I've been keeping my hopes up for way too long!

Thats the thing, the normal Euro fighter trains accelerate as quickly as they decelerate. I'm just hoping that these new trains wont do that as bad and hopefully perform like mini B&M sit-down trains.

Well, shouldn't they have more inertia, what with having more mass from being twice the length of the original Eurofighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.