What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

nadroJ said:
Yeah that is extreme, but they've obviously had demand for it. Weird that they kind of advertise it though.
I guess they're pushing it as a stag or hen destination, although I'd be surprised if many take them up on it.

It's not too bad tbh as long as there is a group of about 20 to 25, it's still near enough £50 a person.

In the past we have spent £20 a person for just one coaster.

It's aimed towards corporate groups (and to a lesser degree, coaster groups, which is probably where most of the 'big' ones like RCCGB, ECC, etc have the cost of a trip)...

So like say BT (a common renter) can have a conference in the hotel in off-peak times, then hire out a ride in the afternoon after park close...

And when you think we often get such privileges for free...

£999 is a heck of a lot though. I can't believe anyone does that. I wonder what the running costs are.

I think £999 is entirely reasonable? If you could get a large group together and split the cost it's easily affordable.

A Nemesis train holds 32 people, if you get 2 train operation for an hour and you have 64 people at a meeting/conference or whatever, that's only about £15 a head.

Spicy I totally agree with you. It looks a lot but if there is a large group it's really not that bad.

Or just get there early/late off-season and hit the walk-on queues for an hour? 999 pound is steep when you can practically get an empty train while its quiet anyway, I'd understand if it was for some function (weddings etc) or charity events, but even 15 pound per head for one coaster is a bit ludicrous. I don't care how amazing Nemesis is.

Or it's just me being a cheap ****! :p

£15 for an hour on a ride is quite good actually (fastracks are like £9 nowadays....)

I'd happily pay £15 for an hour of Oblivion <3

£999 would maybe be a lot for an enthusiast group; you need to stop looking at it like that, as that's not who it's aimed at.

£999 for a corporate event is absolutely **** all.

^ Yeah exactly - we charge companies £400 to hire a poorly decorated room complete with red wine stains on the beige carpet (WHY in a room where we offer free bar on matchday would they choose such a colour?!)... and an extra £125.00 if they want to use a projector and screen. In comparison I think theres definitely more 'bang for your buck' at Alton ;)

So anyway, the Smiler... Alton have gone pretty quiet on it at the moment, seems strange they went all out marketing it painting sheep and plastering the logo everywhere then let it disappear of the radar.

Probably the advertisement will be more effective when it 'rises' again. Since first wave is spreading the logo. The second will be explicitly selling the ride.

Perhaps if construction progress had stayed on schedule then perhaps advertisement wouldn't have slowed down?

If they maintain advertisement, it will probably piss people off.

Yes Gavin that's what I was trying to get at. People are looking at it the wrong way.

If there are like 40 people it's ok.

Pierre said:
So anyway, the Smiler... Alton have gone pretty quiet on it at the moment, seems strange they went all out marketing it painting sheep and plastering the logo everywhere then let it disappear of the radar.
They would hav had a marketing plan for the ride opening in March, so I bet they're currently running ragged trying to generate new PR that wasn't part of the initial plan to keep the suspense and awe or another 2 months.

Going to be interesting to see if they even get it open for may!

They are going to have to move track and theming in an area with people walking round.

If they need to use the main X-Sector entrance, I can't see any other way for them to open it without causing a massive bottleneck round the back of Fried Chicken Co.

marc said:
Going to be interesting to see if they even get it open for may!

They are going to have to move track and theming in an area with people walking round.

Nah, they have service roads behind the exit of Oblivion and also just below the turnaround. I don't think they'd have to close anything off. Probably the toilets and thats it I'd imagine.

^Those toilets are literally the only ones in the area though, would be pretty **** if they had to close them. Stupid Alton.

Couldn't they hire temporary toilets? I can't remember where the closet toilet is located to the X sector ones.

The nearest would be the ones at the entrance, or the ones by Hex/Rita/Skyride. I don't think there are any by Spinball?

Status
Not open for further replies.