What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Right, I can't for the life of me find the update. It's not in the Smiler construction thread, it's not on the main page and it's not on their mini-site either. Can someone link me please?

A couple of note:
7.jpg

4.jpg

If you change the number at the end between 1 and 11 you can view the whole album.

I'm fairly confident the yellow box is just covering a roll. I wonder if the channel to the left of the station is after this roll and before the lift?

Oblivion is looking dark! Not sure why they are doing bits and pieces over the ride?

Uncle Arly said:
Right, I can't for the life of me find the update. It's not in the Smiler construction thread, it's not on the main page and it's not on their mini-site either. Can someone link me please?

It's in the Smiler Updates thread. Go on the forum page, then Smiler and it's the first thread there. :)

Thanks guys. Oblivion is looking beautiful with it's new paint.

I was reading through the TT forums, apparently it is just a barrel roll going through that trough.

Oblivion is looking great with the re-paint, and it's nice to see there is some work now going on towards the other end of the site.

I am pleased that some footers are now in place towards that end of the site since the last update!

Dar said:
I'm fairly confident the yellow box is just covering a roll. I wonder if the channel to the left of the station is after this roll and before the lift?
Yeah, to both. It is a barrel roll, they messed up when they first tried to 'cover' the image, you could clearly see the track having a progressive roll under the station. The channel on the left of the image is after the roll, before the lift section. This is what we all think is going to hold the actual main indoor 'element'.

Oblivion is looking dark! Not sure why they are doing bits and pieces over the ride?
Not a lot of rides/coasters work from the beginning to the end when painting. There won't just be one team working on the coaster, there'll be a few. So they'll all be starting at different point and working to meet together with the pain jobs.

Oblivion looks so much more menacing with fresh paint. Only really notice how big a difference it is when you look at the track just inside the hole which is still faded.

I still believe that they focused all their efforts into getting the 'feature' element completed first to aid their marketing of the ride, or at the very least it was a factor; seems odd that the trackwork hasn't progressed at all in the past two weeks ( I think that's the right timescale? ), you'd have thought all the groundwork for the site would be completed before the trackwork was started, or at the very least the two would be closer together than they have been. Obviously other reasons such as the pit it's in will have been a factor too.

Maybe they just started where guests will be walking in a few weeks so the cranes and whatnot can be offstage when the park is open, but work can continue...

You mean so they can ensure X-Sector is able to open? Possibly.

At least it means with the ride not opening with the park there should be loads of opportunities for videos of it testing etc...

I have a feeling that the "delay" was planned. Why not make guests come back twice to try the new coaster that they missed! American parks always seem to open without the park opening, so why not try it over here?

I sort of agree and sort of dont.

If your like us down south why travel 4 hours 2, you would just hold off and wait for it to open.

With Saw and Swarm Thorpe built them during the season so people could see them being built. With this they waited until the end.

I dunno it just all seemed quiet rushed and very late getting started.

I think people are going to hold off going until it opens.

I don't agree with them doing it on purpose, they completely wasted money on advertising that it was going to open in May. I really just think they've been a bit out of luck in getting it completed on time.

Screaming Coasters said:
I have a feeling that the "delay" was planned. Why not make guests come back twice to try the new coaster that they missed! American parks always seem to open without the park opening, so why not try it over here?
I dunno.

If you open a new ride in March, you encourage visits that would otherwise simply not happen. Attendance to US regional parks is incredibly low until the end of May when the summer holiday begins there. They open their coasters to coincide with the summer holiday. The regional parks don't even open during the week until summer, it's ridiculous. But what that signifies is that the attendance during this time is shockingly low. I don't get it. If they opened their new rides with the park in March, attendance WOULD be higher for the entire year, because you'd encourage visits out of season and then repeat visits in season, surely? Not only that, but passing trade who CANT visit because the park isn't open. I've had this happen to me with Quassi Park. I'd have gone, had it bloody been open.

What Liseberg is doing, advertising their new ride so far in advance, is similarly wtf. That will discourage visits until 2014... I'd be interested to see if their attendance for 2013 is lower than 2012. I was going to go this year, but I'm not now that I know there's a new ride NEXT year. If they hadn't have announced it, would I have gone two years in a row? Actually probable.

What Liseberg proves is maybe that they rely on local trade almost exclusively? Or that the Swedes are simply so rich they visit multiple times without a care? :p

Either way, Alton waiting until May to open is going to affect early attendance. And it is going to affect people's perceptions of the park, because the general consensus in this country is that it SHOULD be open if the park is, regardless of when they said it would be.

So Pleased they've repainted the "Don't Look Down" arrow <3 Looks fab

Nic said:
So Pleased they've repainted the "Don't Look Down" arrow <3 Looks fab

They've also repainted the little logos on the turnaround supports! :D

Joey said:
What Liseberg is doing, advertising their new ride so far in advance, is similarly wtf.

Liseberg had to announce the ride so early, since they promised something big for their anniversary in 2013.
However the ride design for project "Green Fire" was scrapped and they started from zero with "Project Helix", pushing the ride back a year. A lot of people were disappointed when "kaninlandet" was announced witch eventually made the park decide to announce Project Helix so much in advance.

Somehow I suspect most of the GP who might visit Alton before May probably don't even know this is being built. When they head over to x-sector, they would start planning a second visit...

Yes, but, if a family or large group go in March, many will not have the money to have visits within 2 months of each other.

Not to mention the new Alton advert on TV is mentioning The Smiler, although it's not even saying, "May" which could cause them a LOT of grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.