What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had their own ideas, and I felt honoured that they still wanted to occasionally consult me about my opinions.

It only says he was "occasionally consulted"... Man, that could mean anything. You tell me in that sentence, where does it suggest he worked for Alton? I don't think an occasional opinion counts for much.

It's you who is misreading it.

Ok lets bring up what you quoted previously...

From AT Forum:
Rita was designed for AT with JW's input, all be it a small input and that picture Dave put up is a clone layout of Rita.

Good work digging that up from a forum... But anyway, "JW's input" just suggests this:

From John:
They had their own ideas, and I felt honoured that they still wanted to occasionally consult me about my opinions.

That to me personally, gives no real backing to whether he worked for Alton or he didn't. Occasional consulting could mean they just called him into the office to share ideas.

Anyway besides this as we aren't getting anywhere, he is part of Alton design team once again. This is why I believe the woodie could go ahead. My opinion. I'm not trying to be right or wrong and I don't know why you are trying to prove me wrong because all it is, is a an opinion shared...

That's what I choose to stick by at this moment.

I read on the back of a Corn Flake box that Alton Towers are building a ride which has 9 inversions and airtime a plenty with no restraints, in the valley at 9am on the 9th/09/2009! Is it true?

:crazy:

^ Ahh! So, the Corn Flake box was wrong. Maybe it was Frosties. Afterall there IS a tiger on the front and maybe there will be a tiger as the theme for the Tree'd Up coaster.

I seriously suggest that this gets back on topic and we get away from the stupid jokes and petty bickering.

Christ - four pages of pointless ****! Yuo go away for a few hours and THIS happens. Point score on P.M.'s

Let's get some information down and try and narrow down people's opinions, without being rude.

1. John Wardley was spotted by 'trusted' people on TTF marking trees - it's what started the whole "the Corkscrew is going" thing. It does NOT confirm Wardley is involved, but as he's worked in some degree on most of Tussauds coasters along the line (including Dylan) - I think it's a safe bet he's also working on this. Not guaranteed, but I'd say it's over a 90% probability.

2. Alton are looking at family friendly concepts at the moment. Any ride with a height limit, I'd say above 1.25M is VERY unlikely. It's a good chance that they will replace a family coaster, with another family coaster.

3. Valley wood is exceptionally unlikely (sorry Erol). They moved from that concept a long time ago, it's just not feasible. The ride has to dip into a very sensitive area - grade I listed gardens and a protected view, plus all the protected trees and the noise. Lovely idea, but completely impractical.

4. Wing Walker? Well done, you've fallen for Alton's first Red Herring.

5. Eurofighter. See, this is dismissed as "it's just like Oblivion". It's not. I'v ebeen on Two Euofighters and Oblivion, and a Eurofighter is MUCH closer to a ride like Colossus than Oblivion. I remember everyone saying "not a floorless in Thorpe, a looping coaster by Colossus, don't be stupid".

Thing is, a Eurofighter is a 'kiddie' Oblivion, plus what Corkscrew did. It's got a low height limit (for riders), and it has multiple inversions. People are thinking too tightly again, and unrealistically about things. Still in enthusiast mode (and pretending not to be). Would it be stupid to get a Vekoma Family Suspended coaster? It's just Nemesis, right? Same thing? Same gimmick? The number of people who still don't know whether they've been on air or Nemesis is astounding. "It was that one were you're under the track". GP just don't care - they don't say "I've been on (new eurofighter), why would I want to ride Oblivion now?" They will ride both, as Oblivion is clearly the big brother. The difference is that the Eurofighter will have a ridiculous queue of guests, just like Spinball does as it appeals to a massive demographic.

However:

6. Secret Weapon 6 - Reserved for new concepts and 'firsts'. A Eurofighter doesn't fit as a SW. Neither does a normal woody either. So I think whatever we're thinking about is well off the mark - anything which we've seen before is very unlikely.

7. It is a Coaster Sorry Trav, confirmed by Alton Towers - They have secured the investment for a new coaster to be installed. They MIGHT install a new flat to go alongside it in the Ug Swinger space though. It makes sense - look at all the areas. There's pretty much a flat per coaster. FV has two for two, XS two for one, UL one for two. It's a pretty classic way of laying out your park. With just two coasters, Ug Land is going to be a dull place to visit and VERY crowded.

There we are then :) So, we're looking really at a new concept or something not seen very often. If it's a new concept, all our guesses are in vain...

^Agreed

Though we CAN speculate bout what could be put in as a new ride, we need to think logically... As I probs said before Erol and UC had their arguement... :roll:

I'd like some flats though to give some 'muscle' to the area, and maybe those and a smaller coaster than RITA will be the development, a family coaster to replace the TWO they've removed in the last 3/4 years...

There's a long standing tradition of having a flat in the "Corkscrew" area (I can go back 25 years just on personal experience).

On the other hand, there's no way a successful park is going to replace a landmark coaster with a flat. And the management hinted to us about a major, non-kiddie development in 2010.

So a bit of both seems quite likely to me :).

AT is very much missing a woodie, but there's just not that much space to be had really, and it would look a bit obscured by Rita. With the "SW" moniker officially attached I'm expecting something unique, and therefore very difficult to guess at.

I just have this instinctive feeling in my head, that if Alton get a woodie at this moment in time, it's going to be a pile of crap.

With B&M releasing this new concept, I can in a way see Alton showcasing it. It seems that in the past they have enjoyed showcasing new coasters. I also heard that Alton was offered the first Floorless coaster, but it wasn't long after a major investment so they declined.
So is Alton Towers and B&M's relationship still on great terms.
Maybe its not actually a new overall concept but a new concept to B&M?
Maybe their own version of a Tilt coaster? Maybe a 4-D coaster. Or even their own wooden coaster.

4D and Tilt both require quite large amounts of room, and I don't think they would invest in terraining these types of coasters.

A Vekoma thrill lift by any chance?

(for those who are unaware of what this is see the thrill lift (I think thats what it's called) type ride in RCT 3)

It's a new concept - only seen elsewhere in the world in the tilt track version (somewhere in asia I believe). The ride fits a wide market as, while it offers a vertical drop, it can suit the family market, and is similar in appearance to the Corkscrew.

Then there are the concept drawings, which clearly show vertical drops. I'm not usually one to believe things which would so easily appear on the internet, but on this occasion, and with the above mentioned ride type, the pieces do fit.

The flat, I suspect wouldn't be a roboarm, because of the incredibly low throughput, and the fact it isn't family friendly, and in my eyes don't suit Alton. Whats more, I hate the look of Roboarms :p

Now, despite all this, I also expect something in the Blackhole tent is not too far away, especially with the recent removal of track from the tent. It wouldn't surprise me if this happened to be a family attraction, and the new ride on Corky's site is infact to be a new concept B&M, S&S or Intamin ride.

Oh, and hopefully we'll get a Screamin' Swing ;) (He lives in hope)

4D's don't take a lot of room! In a way the ball coasters Intamin did was kind of 4D they don't take a lot of room :)!

^The ball coasters are not 4D. They don't turn, so technically, they only go three ways: Up/down, forwards/backwards and spin.

But a halfway submerged Ball Coaster... would be... (never ridden one, so the rest of the sentence is up to you).

And I sense that Alton is getting a Launched Backwards 4D Flyer Stratacoaster with 19 inversions and a lot of airtime. And it will last for ten minutes...

On the other hand, Trav's vision of a Gerstlauer Bobsled isn't too far-fetched. They're quite good, doesn't take much space, and can easily be below the treeline. And the "Enter the Surface forbidden" label on the side of the cars (as seen here: http://coastergallery.com/2001/MOA23.html ) would make the coaster iconic. However, it's hardly worth an SW label.

I think Tilt/Thrill lift is out of the question, unless you start heading into fantasy territory with the tilt going into the valley - please not use of the word fantasy there.

One thing that I have to say, I should have said before.

It's not official that this is a SW, just that ATA 'learned it is codenamed SW6'. I'm not dissing it completely, but it isn't an official Alton announcement (unlike the fact it is a coaster), so we should take it as a rumour at this time and not confirmed.

Which means Gerstlaur are still on the table.

Without a doubt there's very good reason to believe Alton will install a coaster, but if it's not confirmed, we'll never know.

I like the secretive process Alton use though, with their SW's and stuff. Gets the general public's interest.

Pokemaniac said:
^The ball coasters are not 4D. They don't turn, so technically, they only go three ways: Up/down, forwards/backwards and spin.

Flying
Lying down
Backwards
Spinning?

It how can it be forwards and backwards? It only goes backwards especially a 4-D from S&S! The seats are facing backwards so how does it move riders forwards?
If you get me?

A ball coaster does the same, but spins freely!

Status
Not open for further replies.