What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
gavin said:
I started crying. I sat on a rock and stared at the ride.

Can we set up a fund to have a plaque placed on this rock? You know, like the Princess Diana one near the log flume at Thorpe?

I was more hoping for a statue similar to the Little Mermaid one at Denmark.

Dave

CF Legend
Pink Panther said:
gavin said:
I started crying. I sat on a rock and stared at the ride.

Can we set up a fund to have a plaque placed on this rock? You know, like the Princess Diana one near the log flume at Thorpe?

I was more hoping for a statue similar to the Little Mermaid one at Denmark.

The one that had its knees blown off in the past?

Its the anniversary today, in memory I'm listening to Its All Coming Back To Me Now by Pandora's Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
inb4 this is screenshotted and read out on This Morning whilst she cries on air about internet trolls.

mouse

Giga Poster
Double post, but its justified because theres some big news.

A student who is an amputee was refused disability help on a train, and told to 'start walking'. That student was none other than ride safety expert and celebrity Vicky Balch!

Luckily she live tweeted the traumatic episode so the newspapers could pick it up.

Heres a Daily Mail, Mirror, and Sun article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stead.html
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... rt-8148013
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1256580/s ... lity-help/

She certainly attracts the classier newspapers!!

Isn't time we should start a topic for Vicky updates? Theres certainly enough of them. Or maybe a new fan site, like VickyForce?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I love her twitter. 95% of the time it's just her retweeting people praising her and the other 5% are fun little life updates like when she trapped her finger in her prosthetic leg!

Did anyone spot the Towers Trio on TV last week?
jKzrNsp.png

I pray she never finds this thread, but she probably spends all day googling herself so it's a miracle that hasn't happened already!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'd certainly appreciate the large amount of compensation from Merlin but I really wouldn't try to get in the press at every opportunity, I bet these lot get recognised in the street constantly and I'd hate that.

ohirome

Roller Poster
So I've lurked for god knows how long but decided to join, pretty much just to ask why its deemed so hilarious to take the piss out of someone who's had a life changing injury caused by towers staff cocking up? I mean sure shes made the most of it but who wouldn't? Given that someone else's incompetence caused her to lose half a leg and pretty much kill her planned career prospects, I'd say going on Lorraine and speaking unfavorably about her experience is understandable. But heyho, us coaster dorks probably know better. Life is nice when sweating over a keyboard eh!

Smithy

Strata Poster
ohirome said:
So I've lurked for god knows how long but decided to join, pretty much just to ask why its deemed so hilarious to take the piss out of someone who's had a life changing injury caused by towers staff cocking up? I mean sure shes made the most of it but who wouldn't? Given that someone else's incompetence caused her to lose half a leg and pretty much kill her planned career prospects, I'd say going on Lorraine and speaking unfavorably about her experience is understandable. But heyho, us coaster dorks probably know better. Life is nice when sweating over a keyboard eh!

Who wouldn't make the most of it? The fourth bloke on the front row for a start who's kept a dignified silence, not been whoring himself out to the media week upon week to try and create a public profile.

Pretty much kill her planned career prospects? This accident, tragic though it was, has made her career, she's minted for life with more money than she could ever imagine earning previously. I'm not going to argue over how deserving she is of that given what she's gone through as I personally can't imagine it. But there's only so long you can wring out a sob story before people tire of it.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd like to add that I guess coaster dorks want it to be forgotten and not constantly linked in any Alton Towers story. For example, in the article about the chavs who had a fight last week, many trashy papers added an unnecessary paragraph to mention the unrelated accident. As a coaster dork, I want Alton Towers to succeed and for casual riders to have confidence in the park. Dragging the accident up time and time again is negative to that.

Nobody blames the youngsters making the most of a tragic accident - I would - but as Smithy said, there comes a point where it becomes tiresome and their dignity diminishes.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
To be fair I think most of the victims are getting on with their lives and staying out of the limelight for the most part. There's only one that has used this unfortunate accident as a chance to gain some level of celebrity, and that's probably why she is sometimes ridiculed.

mouse

Giga Poster
Without sounding too harsh, what annoys me a bit is how she is constantly called 'inspirational'. I get that something terrible has happened to her which she is recovering from, but what has she done that most other people wouldn't do? I don't want kids to see this and hope something terrible happens to them so they can be on tv and be treated as sacred.

I have some respect for her of course, although I have more for the victims that haven't hogged the limelight. Like Ian said, it's become tiresome.