What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

owentaylor121 said:
I didn't say everything was back to normal though did I? I said it's nice to see the park getting it's crowds back, what it is. Last year the place was completely empty all summer after the accident. People have more confidence in the park again. What is your problem? Do you just love to disagree with me?

Take it easy, he was just providing context to what you said. This is a public forum, every message written here will be read by many people, and some conflicting opinions will always be posted. I interpreted his post as saying "yes, but also keep in mind...".

Either way, good to see the Towers drawing some crowds, at least. Shows that if anything, they've still got enough customers to crowd the park on a good day. It's still too early to declare the "crisis" to be over, but hopefully they will recover just fine in the long run.

Do anybody have any data on other parks which experienced high-profile accidents? I seem to recall Nagashima Spaland being in the red for a while after SD2K lost a wheel (and sent it flying across half the park). There was also this other Japanese park that tanked completely after a coaster train derailed, but I can't remember the exact details. Do anyone more knowledgeable than me have any statistics, or at least anecdotes?

owentaylor121 said:
Ben said:
^One swallow does not make a Summer.

A Bank Holiday where the weather is nice leading to the park being busy doesn't mean it's all of a sudden back to normal xD
I didn't say everything was back to normal though did I? I said it's nice to see the park getting it's crowds back, what it is. Last year the place was completely empty all summer after the accident. People have more confidence in the park again. What is your problem? Do you just love to disagree with me?

You said the park was getting its crowds back (note the correct grammar I've used here) and I pointed out that one busy day doesn't mean this has happened.

I don't love to disagree with you, but the fact you're usually wrong just makes it quite easy.

Ok, well if your complete oblivious to the fact the queue times are getting higher and higher as the season is going on that's your problem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ONE DAY.

It's going to get busier and busier slowly and time moves on but your post was omg two hour queues the crowds are back. NO.

Where are you getting this whole one day from? I'm confused.
The Smiler has been constantly hitting larger queues and the park over all has been much busier recently. And no I'm not on about just today! I'm talking in genral.
All I said was, it's good to see the park getting crowds back again. What is your problem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just, can't even.

I can't read your post, it looks like it was written by a monkey, and I can't keep explaining your own writings to you.

Okay enough beef for now. The Smiler already collided, we don't need any collisions between forum users.
If it is not about this incident, Alton Towers, the Smiler and not nice, there is no need to post it.
This is a forum on rollercoasters, not on spelling and grammar.

Just look at this amazing footage of the Smiler post incident...
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6vvSWTFm8[/youtubevid]
(Watch it in 60fps!)

Agreed, mostly, about the grammar/spelling thing being off-topic. However:

owentaylor121 said:
All I Iittarly said was

Not having a go, but you've used this word "littarly" a few times now over a number of topics. It doesn't exist. The word is "literally". Again, not having a go or trying to turn the forum into an English lesson, but just wanted to point it out because it's been annoying me.

Pokemaniac said:
There was also this other Japanese park that tanked completely after a coaster train derailed, but I can't remember the exact details. Do anyone more knowledgeable than me have any statistics, or at least anecdotes?

That would be Expoland in Osaka. It's the park that used to have Orochi, which is now Monster at Walygator. The train that derailed was a Togo standup, Fujin Raijin II, killing one person. Investigations showed that maintenance hadn't been kept up by the park. I think the owner/manager was arrested.

The park was closed and never reopened, or perhaps it reopened for a few days/weeks and closed again almost immediately;I can't remember exactly. I think they had been struggling for a while anyway, but the accident was the final nail in the coffin.

Fun fact: I was at the park the day before the accident. I only managed to ride a couple of the coasters before it started raining and everything closed. I got Daidarasaurus and a couple of others - some kiddy coasters still ran in the rain. Orochi was down for maintenance anyway, so I wouldn't have got that, but I would have got Fujin Raijin. I was heading to that when it started raining and everything closed. Basically, I narrowly escaped death. Totally should have gone to the press with my harrowing story.

Phew, was thinking there would be a whole article without her showing her prosthetic leg, but luckily they chucked in a few at the end :).

And good for her for climbing up some ice, I reckon she's gearing up for an appearance on The Jump!

Not being funny like but I'd find it a lot easier to climb up an ice wall if I had half a leg worth of weight missing.

Sandman said:
Mum Karen said after catching sight of The Smiler for the first time: “It was eerie, like a ghost train".

Derren Brown's Ghost Train. Coming soon to Thorpe Park.

Or is it actually going to Alton Towers...

CcuqN_MXEAAWjF_.jpg

Good ol' LA Times ;)

When you exit the train you get off in AT, a desperate attempt by Merlin to get the crowds back there :lol:

I started crying. I sat on a rock and stared at the ride.

Can we set up a fund to have a plaque placed on this rock? You know, like the Princess Diana one near the log flume at Thorpe?

I don’t want to look back

She said as she gave her 150th interview about what happened on that day.

I had a lot of anger. but not any more

"I look better in these countless photoshoots when I'm smiling."

Yes, yes,I know it's a bit mean-spirited, but it's getting ridiculous. The others actually ARE getting on with their lives.

gavin said:

Can we set up a fund to have a plaque placed on this rock? You know, like the Princess Diana one near the log flume at Thorpe?

I was more hoping for a statue similar to the Little Mermaid one at Denmark.

Pink Panther said:
gavin said:

I was more hoping for a statue similar to the Little Mermaid one at Denmark.

The one that had its knees blown off in the past?

Its the anniversary today, in memory I'm listening to Its All Coming Back To Me Now by Pandora's Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk