What's new

2009 Coasterpoll Results

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:
^Because, over time, there just isn't room to include them all.

Is there some kind of limit to the number of coasters in the poll? If there isn't, I don't get it, why not just make Dragon's Fury (or something else that should be seperated) seperate?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Going back now on whats been said about Eagle's Fortress; I think there should be some kind of minimum amount of votes a coaster can have, before its entry to the poll is deemed worthy.

13 people saying a coaster is great, isn't a good enough judgement/review of a coaster, where as say if there had to be a minimum of 50 votes per coaster, that would give a better view of how the coaster is rated. I hope that makes sense!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
Going back now on whats been said about Eagle's Fortress; I think there should be some kind of minimum amount of votes a coaster can have, before its entry to the poll is deemed worthy.

13 people saying a coaster is great, isn't a good enough judgement/review of a coaster, where as say if there had to be a minimum of 50 votes per coaster, that would give a better view of how the coaster is rated. I hope that makes sense!

They do, I can't remember how many it is though. 10 or something?

Mountain Madman

Mega Poster
When those 13 people are well-travelled, seasoned coaster enthusiasts, then yes, I believe that that's legitimate enough to form a ranking.

When you read a movie review, chances are you give a lot more attention to what Roger Ebert thinks than the review from the Southern Hickster Daily. ;)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:

I mean if you were to ask for a 50 vote minimum, then that would pretty much lock out every coaster in Australia from ever getting a look in for instance.

I thought the whole point of the MH poll is that it's not a popularity contest, and stops well ridden coasters from overshadowing less ridden ones just because they are easy to get to (Eg like what happens in the Golden Tickets)

I mean if somebody has ridden two coasters, and prefers one over the other, who are you to argue unless you have ridden the same two?

And at the end of the day, its still an ordered list, so you can use the info how you want. If you wanted to do a 50 vote minimum top 20 it would be the same order, except it wouldn't have Eagles Fortress, Katun*, Piraten, Kawasemi, Pyrenees, Canadian Goliath or Tele2 Insane.

*A top 10 without Katun ?!!?!???!, Blasphemy

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Yes, there is a maximum number of ballot lines, and I know last year (2008) we were right up against it. Mitch did some tweaking of his program in between, and opened up more possibility. We had some leftover space this year (2009), but as I mentioned, with new coasters coming every year, something's got to give.

Yes, I would expect the mega-lites to get a grouping sooner or later.

Mitch has set the minimum for inclusion at 2% of the # of ballots recieved. It used to be a fixed number, (I believe it was only 5 or 6 until 2007) but he liked my suggestion that the number should be flexible with the growing number of ballots being recieved. This year, that magic number was 13 riders for the steel ballot. Between 10 and 13 riders, was 'the grey area' and those coasters got an asterix (*) in place of a rank number.