What's new

TLARides

Hyper Poster
As I was watching videos on the GP's take on Alton Towers' SW8 (which I didn't find much on), I wondered;

Is this coaster actually going to be as cool and exciting as we think it will be?

We know how Mystic Timbers turned out, great ride with a cool story but an absolutely crap shed that didn't deserve as much hype as it had. And Adventure Express probably had the same thing going for it too when it opened.

Now with other rides like Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood, I wasn't very disappointed with its "shed" as I'm calling them now. It was fun to roll in, get a large rocket pointed at you and blast backward with smoke coming from everywhere. But with Mystic Timbers, you roll into a practically empty shed, stop at a radio that plays one of many songs on Kings Island's Spotify playlist, then roll forward where
either a large tree, large snake, or large bat rips the door off.

So I wanna know; what rides have REALLY disappointed you?

GWAS: Edited to add spoiler

Last edited by a moderator:

Sythe

Mega Poster
Valravn, Wicked Cyclone, Kraken, and Hulk are the ones that immediately come to mind. There's probably more, but I don't want to go through every coaster I've ever ridden to try to find them

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Bizarro/Superman, nowhere near as good as the hype suggested, the first few rides were crap, it got better later but still not the potential top 5 ride I was expecting.
Goliath (Walibi) was one my most anticipated rides in Europe but it got nowhere near my top 20, very disappointing.
The Smiler as well, so rough for a new ride.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Goliath at Walibi Holland was a huge disappointment. It is one of those coasters I have always wanted to ride and I had heard nothing but good things about it. Sadly it is a big green monorail.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Goliath (Walibi) was one my most anticipated rides in Europe but it got nowhere near my top 20, very disappointing.
Yup, it's basically GeForce but bigger, where bigger means "dragged out."

I'd say I was disappointed by the "big force" B&M inverts, such as Monster and Katun, but they've never been into that kind of intensity as much as other kinds of intensity.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I have thought of another coaster than disappointed me, Dragon Khan. I thought Khan would be amazing, it's a huge multiple inversion B&M! What's not to love!? However I found it rather dull and very rough. A forgettable coaster experience.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Boulder Dash. Don't get me wrong it was really fun, top 10 material, but I was expecting #1 caliber ride which it was not, and I did leave thinking "Cool but not fully what I hoped for"
To be fair it was like 54 degrees and rainy, and I hear, (Snoo I think echoed this) cool and rainy is not the best condition for it. Next time I'm home in NJ I'll gladly try again.

Bizarro @ SF:NE. Same, it was really good but I was expecting it to be my new #1. The air was good but not as extreme as I hoped and it wasn't as forceful as I expected.
I think this was partly: A decade of extremely high expectations, having been on Skyrush, I305 already and those god awful restraints. I am not positive, but it did seem like they held back the ride experience.

Not sure if these "really disappointed" but they are the 2 most glaring examples of "not really what I expected"

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Ge Force. So much hype, so little to offer. Trims were on super heavy too! Felt like we would rollback in the second overbanked turn. I did ride it hoping to find a world class, star coaster... And was pretty underwhelmed. Even the first drop was kinda.. eh? I found PMBO's more intense.... But overall Holiday Park was nice... And at least the coaster is pretty and has a nice setting.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
This is going back a very long way, but Space Mountain at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Other kids had really hyped it to me, and the theming and effects were kind of cool, but I found the ride itself to be pretty lackluster.

Edward M

Strata Poster
First thing that pops in my mind is Twisted Colossus. I had heard mixed things, but it was an RMC. It had all the elements, but it just didn't have anything special to it. Everything was taken at a speed that made it lack real force. It just didn't have any of the "oh s**t" moments that all the other RMCs I've ridden have.

Another was Sheikra. Bleh. I was expecting a lot out of that drop, and it was only fine. The ride doesn't have anything else either. Bleh.

Colossus (Thorpe) I had wanted to ride since I was about 6, and I saw it in a coaster magazine touting it Most Inversions on a Roller Coaster!. Ya, it beat the s**t out of me then made me dizzy.

New Hulk made me black out for quite a while. From the Zero-G to the corkscrew I couldn't see. I think this was because I hadn't eaten much of anything, but it still all just felt too forceful. I really hate "forceful for no real reason" rides. Speaking of...

I305. Take everything I said about New Hulk and apply it here. Blacked out. Too forceful. Not enjoyable. Fury 325 did the low to the grounds giga coaster much better.

Kraken, Cheetah Hunt, Thunderbird, and Kingda Ka- just didn't really do it for me when I was truly expecting something special.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Boulder Dash. Don't get me wrong it was really fun, top 10 material, but I was expecting #1 caliber ride which it was not, and I did leave thinking "Cool but not fully what I hoped for"
To be fair it was like 54 degrees and rainy, and I hear, (Snoo I think echoed this) cool and rainy is not the best condition for it. Next time I'm home in NJ I'll gladly try again.
I had a very similar experience, it was around 40-45 degrees the evening I rode it and whilst the front row night rides were incredible, it wasn't running as well as it could so the airtime was muted somewhat.

balrog

Mega Poster
Space Mountain @Paris. I could only dream of riding this when I was a kid. But I had to wait until being 24 years old to find out that it is the biggest pile of :emoji_poop: I had ridden in my life. Well, until I rode the nearby Temple du péril thing anyway.

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Lies and Slander, it's fab!

Actually, Indiana Jones is a good pick. It doesn't look particularly exciting, but Christ, why in the world did Intamin think it would be a good idea to try and be Pinfari?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I305. Was hoping for a top 3 smasher, instead I got Rita with a big lift-hill. Barely made top 20.
Karnan. Too much faff at the start of the ride. Got bored waiting for it to actually do something.
Nitro. Rattled like a bitch that day.
Space Mountain, Florida. WTF is this kiddie cred in a shed sh*t?
Alpengeist. First half too fast, second half too slow.
Silver Bullet. Dull as f***.
That is all.

jodon1981

Roller Poster
Here's my list so far:

The Beast at Kings Island-I was really underwhelmed by the ride. I think that if the Beast was made today, everyone would be questioning Kings Island's decision. It just sort of meanders. Little to no air time, no real forces until the final double helix...just underwhelming.

Wicked Cyclone-I was expecting an fantastic ride, but it just didn't deliver. It felt slow and sluggish. The ridiculous seat assignment policy and ride ops didn't help the experience either.

Boulder Dash-It was a little too rough for my liking to where I felt like I was tolerating the ride instead of enjoying the ride. I was also a bit frustrated that they only had one train operations when two would have been warranted.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
This is an obvious one for me: Millennium Force. It was my first hyper coaster and I was expecting the best ride in the world. Instead, it was all so smooth and swift that I couldn't feel anything. If I had heard the "Millennium Forceless" jokes before then I wouldn't have been so confused and disappointed. It was still a hugely enjoyable ride, but I had to adjust my expectations from "gut-crunching, heart-pounding mega-coaster" to "graceful, high-speed glider."

KJ7500

Roller Poster
First thing that pops in my mind is Twisted Colossus. I had heard mixed things, but it was an RMC. It had all the elements, but it just didn't have anything special to it. Everything was taken at a speed that made it lack real force. It just didn't have any of the "oh s**t" moments that all the other RMCs I've ridden have.

Another was Sheikra. Bleh. I was expecting a lot out of that drop, and it was only fine. The ride doesn't have anything else either. Bleh.

Colossus (Thorpe) I had wanted to ride since I was about 6, and I saw it in a coaster magazine touting it Most Inversions on a Roller Coaster!. Ya, it beat the s**t out of me then made me dizzy.

New Hulk made me black out for quite a while. From the Zero-G to the corkscrew I couldn't see. I think this was because I hadn't eaten much of anything, but it still all just felt too forceful. I really hate "forceful for no real reason" rides. Speaking of...

I305. Take everything I said about New Hulk and apply it here. Blacked out. Too forceful. Not enjoyable. Fury 325 did the low to the grounds giga coaster much better.

Kraken, Cheetah Hunt, Thunderbird, and Kingda Ka- just didn't really do it for me when I was truly expecting something special.
I second Kraken and Cheetah Hunt. When I went to SWO I rode Mako 13 times, Manta 6 and Kraken 3, and those 3 rides were spaced apart. No reride-ability there, not unless you want a headache. Too damn rough.
Cheetah Hunt was alright, but not very intense. I thought it was going to be the BGT version of Maverick, albeit with more spaced out elements, but it was not in the same league as that masterpiece.