What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Sandman

Giga Poster
Whilst The Intimidator is pretty unimaginative from an enthusiast perspective, I reckon its very marketable to the GP.

It works well considering this will be taking the UK height record. And if you try and put yourself in the shoes of an average joe member of public, I would imagine that it would be significantly more memorable than Exodus.

Obviously, still yet to see any concrete evidence of this being the name... but if it is, it'll work.

P.s, not that keen on the name myself.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Remember this is the country that named the current tallest coaster "The Big One"..... We're not exactly imaginative with names...
To be honest, BPB managed to be quite imaginative with Infusion, however. Not a good name, but imaginative. It's a badass-sounding word, which rolls nicely off the tongue until you look it up and find that it means "tea".

Whilst The Intimidator is pretty unimaginative from an enthusiast perspective, I reckon its very marketable to the GP.

It works well considering this will be taking the UK height record. And if you try and put yourself in the shoes of an average joe member of public, I would imagine that it would be significantly more memorable than Exodus.

Obviously, still yet to see any concrete evidence of this being the name... but if it is, it'll work.

P.s, not that keen on the name myself.
But it does sound like something you could buy from Ann Summers...

• Haha
Reactions: JMW

ML27

Roller Poster
I’ve always thought this coaster wouldn’t be themed. That one events building in old town is staying. You can’t do much to that building and it’s look will stay the same.

Will definitely just feel like the Canadian wilderness.

It’s ashame, I’d prefer it to be highly themed. I know at times it feels like an amusement park. But it could be a really good theme park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe that this coaster won't be themed. Their most two recent coasters (SAW: The Ride and The Swarm) are arguably some of the best themed in the country. Even stuff like Black Mirror or DBGT have (or had) fairly decent theming. Why would they axe the quality theming all of a sudden? I will be very disappointed if it is called The Intimidator (should have called it The Rockier Express) and doesn't have a theme, hope it's just a rumour. Either way, I'm still happy that Thorpe is finally getting a new coaster.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Demolition of the double down has started, it's a shame the coaster won't end with a double down as a call back.
See, I wanted this for a potential Loggers replacement years before we even had rumbling of Exodus happening. Such a shame they didn't go for that, maybe they couldn't find the space?

I was always expecting this ride to have a lighter theme than most Merlin rides given its size, but if the Intimidator 263 rumour has any weight that'd probably confirm my suspicion.. unless the Intimidator is the name of some weird mythical beast that the coaster somehow represents like the nemesis tentacles!
But yeah, with how used we got to calling it Exodus, any final name was bound to receive some pushback. I still prefer Exodus but by the time the ride opens and settles in we'll all be used to whatever the final name is. I don't see many Nintendo fans refer to their Wii and Switch as their Revolution and NX, after all!

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Roller coaster names are always a bit of a 'bone of contention' - I hated The Smiler as a name, thought it sounded stupid for a record-breaking coaster - but it works and can't see it being called anything else. Names grow on people and they soon get used to it.

I'm sure whatever they come up with, there will be people that hate it, people that love it, and 95% of the Thorpe Park demographic will call it;
  1. The big one
  2. The bigger-than-stealth one
  3. That one over there
  4. The huge one
  5. The massive one
  6. That huge one over there
Thus, making the name irrelevant in most cases ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
I think any “theme” that Exodus has will probably be more of a metaphorical theme and style (think something along the lines of Mako) than a properly immersive theme.

It might have some light theming and storytelling, but I think that a properly immersive theme is unlikely, and would be hard to pull off given the ride’s size.

And to be honest, I’d be fine with that. Hyper coasters are rarely heavily themed anyway, and Thorpe Park is probably the Merlin park with the lowest focus on theming, even though it does have some rather heavily themed rides.

As for the name; I did secretly hope that Exodus might end up being the final ride name, similar to what happened with Stealth, as I felt that Exodus had a real ring to it! Nonetheless, Intimidator could definitely work well if that is the final ride name.

Matt N

CF Legend
It is strange seeing that bit of Thorpe Park looking so open… the views from Saw in particular will look very different this season, as the part between the overbanked turn and the MCBR will no longer be covered by trees.

Mind you, it will probably look even stranger when a 236ft coaster rocks up on the site and completely dwarfs Saw… if I’m remembering correctly, every pre-splashdown element of Project Exodus is taller than the highest point on Saw by quite some margin!

Last edited: