What's new

What Started As A Matterhorn Question And Is Now A Merged General Discussion On What Counts as Coaster Credit

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Icon is your 1000th credit 'cos you haven't got the 'nash cred until you have ridden both sides.

Grand National may well have been the 1000th coaster you had ridden though.

I thought my earlier explanation was clear? ;)

ha, I actually quite like the idea of a distinction between 'credit' and 'coaster'.

You were perfectly clear too, I was just trying to be obtuse for the sake of it ;)

My answer: What do you want your 1,000th to be?

According to some strings of Subjectivity Theory, the underlying driver to that question will infer not only which coaster you choose to qualify as 1,000 - it would actually have a likelihood to inspire and shape your entire day's agenda. As social beings, humans love stability and predictability, but are too often warped/influenced by primitive desire, which can cause the explosion of hypotheticals with weird, in-between areas. To pull from some meta themes of Rhetorical Theory, the desire for stability and predictability can actually inspire a want for control, which to some extent could be why folks feel so bold as to create their rules for coaster count rather than accept the group norm, wanting to exert more control on their perceived reality.

... hey look! I got to use my philosophy degree today! 😅

And let's be honest, respect the classics - Grand National as #1,000 all the way. :p

Never thought I'd see a roller coaster philosophy argument aside from the standard track replacement/Ship of Theseus one - kudos! :p

Coaster_fan_07

Roller Poster
Here's a question for those who take pride in the sequencing of their cred counts.

Say you're on 999 creds and you're visiting Blackpool for the first time ever.
Your first ride is on one half of Grand National.
Then you go on a bad cred, like Icon.
You then ride the second half of Grand National.

Which coaster is your big 1000?
in my opinion, your 1,000 would be Icon this consists of two reasons one being that it is the first of the two rides you completed the track of there for new credit and the second, let's say you are about to ride a ride and you for some reason or another have to get evacuated off the ride would you count that as a new credit

Gazza

Giga Poster
I think 'completing' the track for Grand National by riding twice is not a good metric because there are coasters where the load and unload are separate, like RNRC, which you don't call 0.9 of a cred.

I'm happy to count something like Steeplechase as three because they've gone to the effort of building 3 tracks.

On Grand National ive done two rides and I havent traversed any track twice, so in my personal count its 2 :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think 'completing' the track for Grand National by riding twice is not a good metric because there are coasters where the load and unload are separate, like RNRC, which you don't call 0.9 of a cred.

I'm happy to count something like Steeplechase as three because they've gone to the effort of building 3 tracks.

On Grand National ive done two rides and I havent traversed any track twice, so in my personal count its 2 :D
Steeple chase isn't even 3 identical tracks either... They're more 'individual' than say 2 clones in different parks, as the turns on each track all have different radiuses etc, so each track rides differently through each turn... No way are they one cred! (I still need one of them too! I think)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
THIS!!!

If you can't count two tracks next to each other as 2 creds, then you can't count 97 identical wacky worms in different parks as 97 creds...
And this is why my coaster count is so low, and I no longer need to ride Wacky Worms or SLCs.

Come to the bright side, stop counting clones...

If there is significant difference to the tracks, then it's two. Stampeda is two credits because each side gives a very different ride.

Though, still count it as one, due to my "if there's an argument, funny count it and take the high ground" ;)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Coaster_fan_07

Roller Poster
And this is why my coaster count is so low, and I no longer need to ride Wacky Worms or SLCs.

Come to the bright side, stop counting clones...

If there is significant difference to the tracks, then it's two. Stampeda is two credits because each side gives a very different ride.

Though, still count it as one, due to my "if there's an argument, funny count it and take the high ground" ;)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I personally disagree with you're opinion because when it comes to a cloned coaster you are still riding a new coaster that you have not ridden before, this new ride is a new segment of track which to me makes it a new credit. (this is just my opinion of course) also as for your opinion on a different experience on a ride would you count Great nor'eastern at Morey's pier as it has different trains hence a different experience

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I personally disagree with you're opinion because when it comes to a cloned coaster you are still riding a new coaster that you have not ridden before, this new ride is a new segment of track which to me makes it a new credit. (this is just my opinion of course) also as for your opinion on a different experience on a ride would you count Great nor'eastern at Morey's pier as it has different trains hence a different experience
It's okay, everyone disagrees with my opinion 😆

There reached a point (must be more than ten years ago now) where there was constant arguing about this. It tied in with people being a bit "I've been on 200 coasters, so have a better opinion than you" - even though 50 of those were Big Apples and 20 SLCs.

The problem is that the "need to collect" outweighs the sensibility of everything.

The definitive argument is always "if you moved Nemesis from it's hole, to another park, would you class it as a new credit?"

The "experience" would be far more different than riding 2 Batman clones on Six Flags tarmac. Yet, the Batman clones are "different", even though you couldn't distinguish one from the other. So, do you count a relocated Nemesis as a new credit?

Some people do. Okay, so then do you count a traveling Big Apple at every stop on its tour of the country? Every new location it sits on the same field in the same town each year?

Where, exactly, does the madness end?

If anywhere above, you find yourself thinking "that's... Erm, wrong/stupid" then you're already halfway to my side ;)

The next argument is this.

If you drive a Ford Focus, and only a Ford Focus, a new model each year. How many different cars have you driven? One per year. Yet, how many different car types have you driven? Just one.

If you drive for 30 years, is your experience and "30 car count" better than somebody who has driven 30 different models?

If you've only driven a Ford Focus, you've only ridden an SLC...

Yes, they're different individual things, but a collection of 30 of the same thing is pointless in terms of collecting where range is king.

Any closer to the bright side yet? ;)

Hutch

Strata Poster
Still a little confused on the Icon vs. Nash 1000th cred scenario.... there's no way I would screw it up with the whole "half cred then Icon then half cred" fiasco. If I'm there for my 1000th cred, I'll just immediately do Icon, or do both sides of Nash back-to-back.

Then again, if I'm about to get my 1000th cred... I'd probably go somewhere other than Blackpool. :p

(But to play along, I'd probably prefer Nash for the milestone. Even though Icon is probably the better ride, it doesn't appear good enough to warrant a milestone... especially 1000. Nash has the history, so I'll take that)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Don't worry @Coaster_fan_07, we just led @furie rage against the machine on this one. ;)

1642093769539.png

Actually, the point of this is to avoid arguments.

Is The Nash .5 cred or 1 cred? Steeplechase 1 or 3? Relocated are new creds or not?

Doesn't matter. If you don't count any of them, then you're above the argument. This thread is two pages now, and I'm the only person steadfast in their position. Okay, EVERYONE is against me, but I'm not a credit whore, arguing with other credit whores over 1/2 a cred :D

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm at that point now where I don't even bother with Wacky Worms or Big Apples.
I like to think of it as 'preserving the cred count'. Sort of in the same vein as the Royal bloodline.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Riding worms and apples is rather sad for grown adults in my mind, but each to their own with their own version of "the" hobby.
The carbon footprint issue for hunting them down is a separate issue.
If you don't count creds, and just ride coasters for fun, it makes the hobby much less complicated, and in my mind, more fun.
Fifty years of playing out on the coasters, never felt a single stroke of cred anxiety in my life.

Heth

Mega Poster
Riding worms and apples is rather sad for grown adults in my mind, but each to their own with their own version of "the" hobby.
The carbon footprint issue for hunting them down is a separate issue.
If you don't count creds, and just ride coasters for fun, it makes the hobby much less complicated, and in my mind, more fun.
Fifty years of playing out on the coasters, never felt a single stroke of cred anxiety in my life.

I count creds for fun, and find the "what is a cred" talk fascinating, but in equal measure I don't let it dominate my trips. When I went to Gardaland I only got 3 creds, because I opted to prioritise Mammut, Raptor and Oblivion re-rides over collecting an SLC, a worm and a clone of several similar Vekoma Loopers. I still counted after the trip though.

rob666

Hyper Poster
I managed to get the Ghost Train at Blackpool listed for a few days!
It is where people miss out on quality rerides to tick off half a dozen kiddycoasters that tickles me.
No point whatsoever apart from a higher number in a box on a spreadsheet on a puter memory.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I mean let’s not skip into too much hyperbole here - where the heck would you even find a park with half a dozen kiddycoasters? ... Oh right, Energylandia. 😅

As someone who enjoys keeping track of their coaster count and comparing with others (Such as our recent update to the CoasterForce Top 25, read it now!); I can assure you that it isn't a question of "which approach is more fun - counting or not counting?" The answer is both! People come at coaster enthusiasm from many walks of life - it's something I probably enjoy most of all in this hobby - and honestly, whatever floats your boat is great, your counting-or-not-counting-of-coasters does not affect any of my experience and fun I have with getting to ride coasters. (and vice versa)

This is just the same as friends, family, or others you know who say they love roller coasters, but only have ridden a dozen or so. You could be a self-righteous prick to correct them that they actually do not love roller coasters, or else they would have been more traveled/visit more amusement parks, etc. But to jump back to my philosophic dissertation on the previous page, realize that even someone who has ridden 1 roller coaster can still say they absolutely love coasters; our reality is shaped by our experience, some seeking out to experience as many coasters as they can, others to just be on a roller coaster/experiencing parks in the moment!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
What the **** do you lot do during the off season if you don't have a spreadsheet to reformat?

Must be so boring...
I'm working on writing a current Access program that would allow me to ingest new coaster data and add it into my Google Sheets, essentially transcoding from an Access output to Excel to Google Sheets. And the best part? I am trying to code this so my internet router provides the compute power to do it (yay Synology routers!)

I mean, how is that not exciting!!!???