What's new

What Started As A Matterhorn Question And Is Now A Merged General Discussion On What Counts as Coaster Credit

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
If a cred falls over, and there’s nobody around… does it make a sound? 🧐

I suppose that can only be answered if you own a park and have a decent insurance policy 🤷‍♂️ (in which case the answer is probably “No!” followed by suspicious nervous whistling).

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Clones: Treated as entirely different coasters, especially with how differently they all ride.
Duelling coasters: Each track is +1 even on Mobius; Steeplechase is +3, Grand National is +2
Powered coasters: Yes; new cred
Alpine coasters: Yes; new cred
RidgeRiders: Yes; new cred

There is an extremely worrying amount of factors that go into determining whether or not a relocation is a new cred. Some do count, and others don't. It'll take me a while to write it up!

As punishment for inflating my cred count so hard... I've decided to not count Butterfly Shuttles. I reckon that's (not really) a good trade-off but all for themselves.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Grand National is mobius, hence the debate so theres your answer.

For me its 1, Steeple 2, Matterhorn (& Orlando Space Mountain) 2. There's a real charm going round the American parks riding both sides of the classic duelling coaster. Grab em while you can.

If I'm riding a new SLC I'm bloody well counting it.

Theres are loads of coasters where you don't ride every inch of track due to the connection to maintenance. Its done if you have completed the main bit. But if you are evacuated part way round on your only ever ride - does that count?

And the .5 nonsense, don't bother. Weeks later you'll just find out another coaster you did or didn't actually ride in the past screwing it all up.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Now, as discussed elsewhere, I don't count coasters...but if I did, the Ghost Train at Blackpool Pleasure Beach would be right up there.
More of a coaster than any of your power driven kiddie coasters and mine trains...it has a nice chain lift hill, it has a free rolling drop, and a nice roll back up the other side.
Tis a coaster without debate.
Was on rcdb for at least a week.
Probably.

solarfall

Mega Poster
Dunno how controversial this is, but I count standup to floorless conversions as being two separate credits. i.e I have Mantis and Rougaroo as separate entries in my count.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've merged a similar thread started by @Coaster_fan_07 titled "What do you consider a coaster credit that others don't?" into this one.

Welcome to the Multiverse of Coaster Credit Counting Madness.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Now, as discussed elsewhere, I don't count coasters...but if I did, the Ghost Train at Blackpool Pleasure Beach would be right up there.
More of a coaster than any of your power driven kiddie coasters and mine trains...it has a nice chain lift hill, it has a free rolling drop, and a nice roll back up the other side.
Tis a coaster without debate.
Was on rcdb for at least a week.
Probably.
My then 7 year old pointed out to me how Ghost Train is basically a coaster and after a moment of "no of course it isn't sweetie" I thought, huh, she has a point. I don't count it just cause my main rule is it has to be on Coast2Coaster to count (just to make cred runs manageable) but otherwise I'd have it in there.

Some people get very uppity about Alpine Coasters. Totally a coaster.

rob666

Hyper Poster
My then 7 year old pointed out to me how Ghost Train is basically a coaster and after a moment of "no of course it isn't sweetie" I thought, huh, she has a point. I don't count it just cause my main rule is it has to be on Coast2Coaster to count (just to make cred runs manageable) but otherwise I'd have it in there.

Some people get very uppity about Alpine Coasters. Totally a coaster.
Your seven year old was correct.
To say it isn't one because it isn't on somebody else's list is folly.
It was on RCDB (briefly).
Relist the Ghost Train!

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
My submission:
The year is 2025 & Nemesis 2.0 opens, doth the cred whores of the future ride knowing they have collected another +1 or not?
Personally i'd say another cred

Heth

Mega Poster
My submission:
The year is 2025 & Nemesis 2.0 opens, doth the cred whores of the future ride knowing they have collected another +1 or not?
Personally i'd say another cred

If you move the original Nemesis it's a new cred at its new location, so I'm sure a brand new track counts.

Peet

Giga Poster
Not in my book.

Let's say Nemesis reopens in 2023, then somebody asks you "what year did Nemesis open?". Would you say "it opened in 2023 on the site of an earlier roller coaster of the same name" or would you say "1994. And by the way it had most of its track replaced in 2022"

For me it's the latter, so not a new +1. But obviously there is no right or wrong answer here so 🤷‍♂️.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Each to their own but... I'd consider myself to be reaching a bit if I counted Nemesis (after re-track) as a new cred.

Sure, new track so there's some technicality there. But come on. It's Nemesis! It's just new steel in exactly the same position, same name, same theme at the same park.

Don't give Merlin ideas. I can see it now.

"Nemesis; the awesome NEW ride at Alton Towers. Sit back, it's fright time."

tenor_3.gif

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I don’t count creds but if I did, it would probably be for notching and gauging the scope of my experiences. I don’t feel like the retrack would expand upon my experiences in the same way that a ‘bona fide’ new cred would, so I probably wouldn’t count it as a new cred.

Instead, to my mind it would then be ‘one cred’ that has existed in two iterations; the old version and the new one.