What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Dan?

Roller Poster
That's because they get to a point they think they're "ok" don't they?
That's never ever really been the case; it's more a matter of actually finding room. 2009 was definitely a turning point for Thorpe, as they ran out of suitable land to build on that wasn't already being used. If you think about it, it's impressive we even got The Swarm to begin with!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
That's never ever really been the case; it's more a matter of actually finding room. 2009 was definitely a turning point for Thorpe, as they ran out of suitable land to build on that wasn't already being used. If you think about it, it's impressive we even got The Swarm to begin with!

Thing is, room and space has never really been an issue

If you go back 15 years ago, say, the land that Saw (and the adjacent path for what was Saw Alive) were only just being started to be infilled. The land for Swarm, the island behind Stealth and Shark Hotel didn't exist (but would start soon). Even the plot of land that Flying Fish is now on had only really just settled.

The core of the park had run out room by around 2006, but the park made more room. They can't do that now really (they're probably at a well balanced limit for the amount of land they could infill). But they have a huge surplus of space:
-The island behind Stealth
-Loggers Leap site
-Slammer site
-The underutilised Beach
-Shark Hotel location could be moved and that space used

So yeah, the park may have at one point run out space. But they solved that easily. And since then they've still had huge amounts of space to use too.

Leon

Roller Poster
No room tell that to blackpool pleasure beach thats what you call no room and they still managed to fit a custom mack multi launch thorpe could build a new ride every year for the next 10 years and still have more room than pleasure beach.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Well well well, what do we have here: https://www.thorpepark-consultation.com/

Spoilers: Not a lot...at the moment...
Could be a fan prank...

Hosting company is Wix...

Edit: Sorry, I should elaborate on that, every other merlin website uses CSC corporate, and the register info matches from one to another.... This site uses the very unprofessional service called Wix, who's primary service is to allow individuals and small organisations with no technical knowledge to publish a website.

I mean Thorpe may have gone down that route for speed and value, but I doubt it... Merlin likely have their own team of developers and designers who work with one server / data centre...

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Interestingly, and probably meaninglessly, they've spelt it "roller-coaster" on the website, but "roller coaster" on the flyer.

JMW

Roller Poster
Could be a fan prank...

Hosting company is Wix...

Edit: Sorry, I should elaborate on that, every other merlin website uses CSC corporate, and the register info matches from one to another.... This site uses the very unprofessional service called Wix, who's primary service is to allow individuals and small organisations with no technical knowledge to publish a website.

I mean Thorpe may have gone down that route for speed and value, but I doubt it... Merlin likely have their own team of developers and designers who work with one server / data centre...
It’s worth noting that Chessington’s Consultation website has also been built with Wix, so Merlin have no problem using it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It’s worth noting that Chessington’s Consultation website has also been built with Wix, so Merlin have no problem using it.
That's everything I needed to know, Thanks :)

P.s sorry for double posting, but I guess this thread is going to move pretty quickly for a while now!!!!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The thought of it being some elaborate-ish prank did cross my mind. And the "Roller-coaster" wording did throw me too.

As mentioned, this very much resembles the Chessington consultation web page, in both front end and backend styles.

I should add two things:

1. I don't recall Thorpe ever doing something like this before. They've had public consultations with local residents in the past, but usually not for something as blatant as a new investment. Even Stealth, which was obviously huge in comparison to the rest of the park, drew complaints from locals because they had no knowledge of it until after plans had been approved.

2. Whilst I don't know what's happening, I feel confident enough that this is a legit thing. Not 100% confident admittedly, but 99%. Will gladly wear egg on my face and eat my hat if this is a big prank.

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow, exciting stuff! So much to think about!

Firstly, I’d be very, very surprised if this is a prank. It looks pretty official, and most pranks probably wouldn’t go quite this elaborate; printing out loads of flyers to send to locals and making a website that is a spitting image of Thorpe’s current one would be a huge amount of effort for a simple prank conjured up by a local prankster! This isn’t like that Project Zer0 thing that loads of people (myself included) thought could be teasing a new coaster a few years back, where it was just some cryptic YouTube videos, a random website not affiliated to Thorpe at all and a load of 0s randomly appearing around Thorpe; this looks pretty official, and I think telling residents to look at a consultation website on 10th December if there was nothing to show would lead to some harsh consequences for the perpetrator…

Secondly, I think the choice to go for a full-blown consultation is very interesting on Thorpe’s part, and this is a very premature start to planning compared to usual if Thorpe’s next coaster does come in 2024 as rumoured. Could Thorpe possibly be trying to get the locals on side early so that they can build something that might have a tougher time getting through planning… like a hyper, perhaps?

I’m certainly optimistic that this could be something to get really excited about myself; my personal bet is a B&M Hyper Coaster, but regardless, I think it’ll be very exciting!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This isn’t like that Project Zer0 thing that loads of people (myself included) thought could be teasing a new coaster a few years back, where it was just some cryptic YouTube videos, a random website not affiliated to Thorpe at all and a load of 0s randomly appearing around Thorpe;

Project Zer0 and the work round it was an official thing and not a prank, it just wasn't related to the park.

It ended up being related to a set of (in my totally-unbiased opinion) escape rooms that opened in Ashford: XScream Escapes

Everything pointed to it being for those escape rooms (if you worked out the clues), but between a lot of wishful thinking and Thorpe's social media briefly piggy-backing off it, a lot of people thought it was a Thorpe prank or similar.

Matt N

CF Legend
Project Zer0 and the work round it was an official thing and not a prank, it just wasn't related to the park.

It ended up being related to a set of (in my totally-unbiased opinion) escape rooms that opened in Ashford: XScream Escapes

Everything pointed to it being for those escape rooms (if you worked out the clues), but between a lot of wishful thinking and Thorpe's social media briefly piggy-backing off it, a lot of people thought it was a Thorpe prank or similar.
Ah right; thanks for the clarification @JoshC.! I never knew that Project Zer0 ever actually amounted to anything… I definitely learnt something new today!

I wonder why it was ever linked to Thorpe, then?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Wow, exciting stuff! So much to think about!

Firstly, I’d be very, very surprised if this is a prank. It looks pretty official, and most pranks probably wouldn’t go quite this elaborate; printing out loads of flyers to send to locals and making a website that is a spitting image of Thorpe’s current one would be a huge amount of effort for a simple prank conjured up by a local prankster! This isn’t like that Project Zer0 thing that loads of people (myself included) thought could be teasing a new coaster a few years back, where it was just some cryptic YouTube videos, a random website not affiliated to Thorpe at all and a load of 0s randomly appearing around Thorpe; this looks pretty official, and I think telling residents to look at a consultation website on 10th December if there was nothing to show would lead to some harsh consequences for the perpetrator…

Secondly, I think the choice to go for a full-blown consultation is very interesting on Thorpe’s part, and this is a very premature start to planning compared to usual if Thorpe’s next coaster does come in 2024 as rumoured. Could Thorpe possibly be trying to get the locals on side early so that they can build something that might have a tougher time getting through planning… like a hyper, perhaps?

I’m certainly optimistic that this could be something to get really excited about myself; my personal bet is a B&M Hyper Coaster, but regardless, I think it’ll be very exciting!
I could build a site like that and design (I use that term very loosely!) A leaflet to match in less than an hour mate...

That being said, my doubts have already been eased by @Jamss and @JoshC.

Plus, the more I look for signs of a hoax, the more I'm convinced it's not a hoax...

But just for giggles... here are the assets that can be used to reproduce that leaflet in minutes ;)

Also, just out of interest, where have you seen confirmation that these leaflets have been distributed to locals? I know the question was asked on TPM, but I didn't see a reply...

Attachments

• Silouette.jpg
    Silouette.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 42
  • mr-monkeys-banana-ride-thorpe-park-family.png
    mr-monkeys-banana-ride-thorpe-park-family.png
    720.8 KB · Views: 44
  • thorpe-park-logo.png
    thorpe-park-logo.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 46

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit, I think it’s a rather sad indicator of how little faith people have in Thorpe Park/Merlin when something like this is revealed and people’s first instinct is to believe it’s fake and search for signs that it’s a hoax…

Admittedly, I can fully understand why people might have lost faith given some of the past “coaster teasers”, but I’m personally very excited and optimistic for Thorpe’s future, and I’ll admit that it makes me a little sad to see that optimism has dwindled so drastically…