What's new

What other hobbies do you have?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
As an extension to the gaming part in my most recent post on this thread, since last August I’ve been getting back into flight simulation, quite a lot 🙈😂

‘Mostly’ flying the A320 Neo in fs2020, though I have been using others sims and aircraft also…

00D8C6C6-A2AA-4E63-A5DC-9BC72B6512F4.jpeg

I think I’ve been compensating for not being able to fly / travel much in real life 🙈

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Woah nice, that's a slick setup right there!
I have absolutely no idea how or what - but that looks mega cool @Nicky Borrill; enjoy it!
Thanks guys, I’m almost ready to upgrade it!!! It’s a Ryzen 7 3800x / RTX 3070 combo… So it doesn’t ‘need’ to be upgraded yet, but tinkering is all part of the fun anyway… And I can do so much more in the huge Corsair 5000D case… I’m hoping a new Ryzen range drops soon so I can upgrade that and add water cooling. I may get impatient and just drop a Ryzen 9 5900x or 5950x in it 🙈

I’ve also built a few PCs for friends and family in the last few months, including 3 x Ryzen 5 3600 / Amd RX 6600xt combos for the missus and kids… So I guess I’ve also rediscovered my PC building hobby 👍😂

And to think, just 18 months ago I rejoined the PC master race and rediscovered gaming by buying a PREBUILT!!! That didn’t last long 🙈

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Meh, I’d suggest pre-built all the way. I’ve had nothing but issues with my ‘build your own’ - going to have RMA my 30 series card since it had a habit of dying when stressed for 5 minutes….

@Nicky Borrill
Unless you’re actually making using of the multi-cores, which lets face it unless it’s for professional use you probably won’t, stick with the 5800 or 5900. The boost clock on my 5950 is constantly throttled by voltage issues by supplying to so many cores and rarely hits 5ghz - bios updates may fix it but really the performance for gaming and everything else is comparable to a 5800 and you can’t easily overclock something with that many cores. So yeah…. A regretted purchase.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Meh, I’d suggest pre-built all the way. I’ve had nothing but issues with my ‘build your own’ - going to have RMA my 30 series card since it had a habit of dying when stressed for 5 minutes….

@Nicky Borrill
Unless you’re actually making using of the multi-cores, which lets face it unless it’s for professional use you probably won’t, stick with the 5800 or 5900. The boost clock on my 5950 is constantly throttled by voltage issues by supplying to so many cores and rarely hits 5ghz - bios updates may fix it but really the performance for gaming and everything else is comparable to a 5800 and you can’t easily overclock something with that many cores. So yeah…. A regretted purchase.

I use adobe creative suite quite a lot for my business… You are spot on though… Nothing I do with it (including adobe) will make ‘full’ use of the 5950, and getting the other would not have any pitfalls when it comes to gaming, so I think I would go for the 5900 anyway.

I am really fighting the urge and trying to hold out for the next series tbh, given the gap between 3000 and 5000 it ‘may’ be due soon (early 2022…) I am hoping the next series turns out to be zen 3+ on AM4, but I put a low/mid end B550 board in this build just in case it needs replacing anyway… So if it’s Zen 4 or 3+ on AM5 I’m not too bothered.

Which card are you having issues with btw? Not an EVGA FTW3 is it by any chance?

Pre builts are dire in comparison. Usually using inferior components (mobo, ram, etc) have poorly planned / executed airflow / cooling, and as Gamers Nexus series shows, more often than not really basic build errors.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I use adobe creative suite quite a lot for my business… You are spot on though… Nothing I do with it (including adobe) will make ‘full’ use of the 5950, and getting the other would not have any pitfalls when it comes to gaming, so I think I would go for the 5900 anyway.

I am really fighting the urge and trying to hold out for the next series tbh, given the gap between 3000 and 5000 it ‘may’ be due soon (early 2022…) I am hoping the next series turns out to be zen 3+ on AM4, but I put a low/mid end B550 board in this build just in case it needs replacing anyway… So if it’s Zen 4 or 3+ on AM5 I’m not too bothered.

Which card are you having issues with btw? Not an EVGA FTW3 is it by any chance?

Pre builts are dire in comparison. Usually using inferior components (mobo, ram, etc) have poorly planned / executed airflow / cooling, and as Gamers Nexus series shows, more often than not really basic build errors.
No, it's a Gigabyte 3090 vision. There were issues with a few Gigabyte cards at launch in relation to how certain connections were welded, but I don't think that affected the Vision cards, from what I can tell. I have an 850 watt PSU so I don't think it's that either - the power draw even when rinsing the 3090 never observably goes above 600w and it should be able to take microspikes in voltage at those levels.

I had been absolutely maddening trying to find out what causes the crashing, but I assume it's the GPU - I just haven't been arsed to RMA it yet because I wanted a personal desktop for other activities I was sorting at the time. I have some time off next week, so I'll torture myself with dismantling it all and will then send it off soon.

Edit - and yep, completely understand what you mean on the pitfalls of pre-builds. I must say though whilst many of their videos are interesting, I do dislike that Gamers Nexus chap himself, he has an absolutely terrible (inefficient) manner of delivering information, dressed up as being thorough. I would forgive a slow delivery of information, but there have been many instances where he has told people to 'simply watch videos' (or similar) in order to gain information, as if somehow they have to 'earn' information by watching his obnoxiously slow (and often equivocal) content, which feels condescending and doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
No, it's a Gigabyte 3090 vision. There were issues with a few Gigabyte cards at launch in relation to how certain connections were welded, but I don't think that affected the Vision cards, from what I can tell. I have an 850 watt PSU so I don't think it's that either - the power draw even when rinsing the 3090 never observably goes above 600w and it should be able to take microspikes in voltage at those levels.

I had been absolutely maddening trying to find out what causes the crashing, but I assume it's the GPU - I just haven't been arsed to RMA it yet because I wanted a personal desktop for other activities I was sorting at the time. I have some time off next week, so I'll torture myself with dismantling it all and will then send it off soon.

Edit - and yep, completely understand what you mean on the pitfalls of pre-builds. I must say though whilst many of their videos are interesting, I do dislike that Gamers Nexus chap himself, he has an absolutely terrible (inefficient) manner of delivering information, dressed up as being thorough. I would forgive a slow delivery of information, but there have been many instances where he has told people to 'simply watch videos' (or similar) in order to gain information, as if somehow they have to 'earn' information by watching his obnoxiously slow (and often equivocal) content, which feels condescending and doesn't sit well with me.

Oh I weirdly hate his video style too, but to be fair he is thorough in his work and research, just a terrible teacher and presenter 🙈😂

I assume you’ve monitored the temps under load? Those 3090s can run extremely hot! My Asus Tuf 3070 has the same cooler as it’s 3090 counterpart and hits close to max temp in a large airflow case with a total of 12 fans inside (including the 3 on the gpu.) So it does make me wonder how a 3090 would stack up!

The PSU will have a max short term load well above it’s rated wattage, so in theory 850 should easily be enough. Also I’ve pushed PSUs beyond their limits before, and (excluding exploding units, see gamers nexus again 🙈) the safety cut off causes a very specific type of shutdown. In my experience a shutdown caused by a psu needs the psu to be reset at the wall / rocker switch (as in completely disconnected from the mains) before the system will power back on. I’m guessing that isn’t happening?

If you’re using a modular power supply or sleeved extensions, it’s a long shot, but I have had issues where one of the pcie power cables is faulty, and not delivering the power as it should… Although again, 600w drawn suggest all is well there!

I hope you get time to figure it out, I’m really intrigued as to what it is now… So please come back and share your findings :)

rob666

Hyper Poster
To bring the discussion bang up to date, my good wife has just purchased a large, ancient and rusty/dusty loom.
Fine northern mill town tradition of cloth weaving about to start.
That's going to look fugly on the dining table for six months at least.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
To bring the discussion bang up to date, my good wife has just purchased a large, ancient and rusty/dusty loom.
Fine northern mill town tradition of cloth weaving about to start.
That's going to look fugly on the dining table for six months at least.

If your venture takes off I might have found you some premises 🙈😂

98EA2ECD-9222-4416-967F-07A7194951F8.jpeg

rob666

Hyper Poster
Don't give her a place like that, she would fill it with craft tat.
The loom will give me carte blanche to do the coasters whenever I like.

My other hobby...
About to get a nice new Peter Powell stunt kite.
Exciting toy of my youth, and still made by the same family after all these years.

Archie

Mega Poster
As an extension to the gaming part in my most recent post on this thread, since last August I’ve been getting back into flight simulation, quite a lot 🙈😂

‘Mostly’ flying the A320 Neo in fs2020, though I have been using others sims and aircraft also…

View attachment 13347

I think I’ve been compensating for not being able to fly / travel much in real life 🙈
I have been on a Neo and it was a beautiful aircraft to fly on and I love the LEAP-1 engines, they make it so much quieter.
…sorry I'm an aviation nerd
I wanted to get FS2020 soon I'm just worried its going to fry my PC

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I have been on a Neo and it was a beautiful aircraft to fly on and I love the LEAP-1 engines, they make it so much quieter.
…sorry I'm an aviation nerd
I wanted to get FS2020 soon I'm just worried its going to fry my PC
Have been on a few with Easy Jet :)

2 weeks ago I took my first flight on a 737 MAX, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad nervous, despite knowing better!!! And also, I was very disappointed with the aircraft... Rear toilets are an absolute joke!

FS2020 has a broad range of settings that can be tweaked for older machines... But probably best to stick with FSx or XP11, as FS2020 is only really worthwhile for the incredible eye candy... The flight mechanics and realism are not there yet, no 'true' study level aircraft! So if you have to turn everything down to play it, is it it even worth it?

Archie

Mega Poster
Have been on a few with Easy Jet :)

2 weeks ago I took my first flight on a 737 MAX, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad nervous, despite knowing better!!! And also, I was very disappointed with the aircraft... Rear toilets are an absolute joke!

FS2020 has a broad range of settings that can be tweaked for older machines... But probably best to stick with FSx or XP11, as FS2020 is only really worthwhile for the incredible eye candy... The flight mechanics and realism are not there yet, no 'true' study level aircraft! So if you have to turn everything down to play it, is it it even worth it?
i went for fsx over xp11 because i liked the fact that fsx has a lot more freeware and payware content, and i wanted the boeing p-8 and the AWACS

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
i went for fsx over xp11 because i liked the fact that fsx has a lot more freeware and payware content, and i wanted the boeing p-8 and the AWACS
The multiplayer element to FSX is incredible too :)

"We have a hot air balloon pulling mach 2 and 6 g's over the tower"

Archie

Mega Poster
My other hobbies are gaming, i love EVE online, and just exploring. l like to just get on buses and trains with no real plan I just go where the journey takes me.