What's new

Adventureland | Dragon Slayer | S&S Freespin | 2021

Dar

Hyper Poster
There's a hell of a lot of slack in those holes! (fnarfnar) I assume it's for cost saving reasons, less precise manufacturing is cheaper, but it still looks a bit weird to me!

I wonder what S&S's tolerances are for manufacture, it seems similar to the Gerst way of getting it near enough and then finessing the fit later. Compared to B&M or Intamin that have much more precise fittings and seem to not need as much wrenching into place

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
There's a hell of a lot of slack in those holes! (fnarfnar) I assume it's for cost saving reasons, less precise manufacturing is cheaper, but it still looks a bit weird to me!

I wonder what S&S's tolerances are for manufacture, it seems similar to the Gerst way of getting it near enough and then finessing the fit later. Compared to B&M or Intamin that have much more precise fittings and seem to not need as much wrenching into place
I believe the slots would actually be a cost increase since each flange would have a longer time to cut. Despite this, the slots are cut concentrically and would only allow radial variation, but by doing this the fabricators can avoid precisely welding the flanges onto the tubes at a specific angle.

Pear

Strata Poster
Red freespin track has shown up

Screenshot_20200605-123309_Instagram.jpg

image0.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/gxcmml
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/gxcnyt

Last edited:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully it's a different layout to the SF models (as long as it isn't the same as the Chinese one).
If you're reffering to the six-element vs 10 element layout, it looks like the park will be going with the more family-friendly first option. Think of it as Kirnu at Linnanmäki compared to Insane at Gröna Lund. This will be more like the one in Finland, with the Six Flag versions more like the one in Sweden. Hope you understand the comparison in ride size and intensity, because I'm not trying to compare Freespins with ZacSpins.

Matt N

CF Legend
If you're reffering to the six-element vs 10 element layout, it looks like the park will be going with the more family-friendly first option. Think of it as Kirnu at Linnanmäki compared to Insane at Gröna Lund. This will be more like the one in Finland, with the Six Flag versions more like the one in Sweden. Hope you understand the comparison in ride size and intensity, because I'm not trying to compare ZacSpins with Freespins.
I thought Six Flags built the 6 element layout? And every Free Spin currently in existence bar the one in China was the 6 element layout?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
If you're reffering to the six-element vs 10 element layout, it looks like the park will be going with the more family-friendly first option. Think of it as Kirnu at Linnanmäki compared to Insane at Gröna Lund. This will be more like the one in Finland, with the Six Flag versions more like the one in Sweden. Hope you understand the comparison in ride size and intensity, because I'm not trying to compare Freespins with ZacSpins.
I understand. So you're saying it will likely be a smaller version than what we've already seen? The six flags model I believe is the 6 element layout (with a larger layout available) so imagine this will have less.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Joker at SFNE is one of the most insane coaster experiences I’ve had - not sure if it was weighted weirdly or what but had consistently fast spinning, forward and back, with no real idea what was happening until the final brakes. Is this the experience of others from the Six Flags ones? It was so much better than I expected, though not a coaster I could reride.

If this is to be a family version then surely it would have to be slower or some kind of brake on the spinning, which goes against the model’s name!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
If this is to be a family version then surely it would have to be slower or some kind of brake on the spinning, which goes against the model’s name!
The spinning can be adjusted on every variation, which is why each of the current clones gives a different ride depending on how the park sets them. Some parks, like Six Flags Great Adventure, even have the two sides set differently so that one side spins more than the other. Therefore, the family friendly version I'm talking about is smaller is size, regardless of the spinning (which would likely be less intense since this one won't be as large as the current clones).

Hutch

Strata Poster
These seem to be very hit or miss based on my experience. I really liked the one at SFNE, enough to ride it multiple times, but my ride at SFGAd was dreadful: I immediately got tombstoned back to back on the first to valleys.

I'm still all for smaller parks getting these. They're much better than Boomerangs and I still probably prefer them over the Sky Rockets as well.