What's new

"Now Showing"

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Captain Marvel

Standard MCU entry, but that's not a bad thing. I think my problem with it was nothing felt like it had any weight or impact to it...the plot details, plot twists, character backstory...they're all just thrown at you in a way that doesn't make them feel important. Nothing is made out of the return of Guardians of the Galaxy characters Korath and Ronan, who are just...there. It just doesn't feel very grand - the action scenes in the finale, for instance, are perfectly fine, but never feel as though they're the big, bombastic spectacles they're clearly supposed to be. I don't know, for an MCU film, something just felt a bit...off with this one.

But don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly fine, fun film, and it's definitely got my new favourite Stan Lee cameo which will leave any fan both smiling and teary at the same time.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Following up with what @TommyAlex said, Captain Marvel is not my top favorite MARVEL movie (see: Spider-Man Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 despite what everyone else says about the latter), but it's still a great one nevertheless. My favorite character has to be Goose the Cat, who isn't as ordinary as you may first think, and I really enjoyed the easygoing tone of the story. That being said however, the plot is poorly paced - action scenes don't have that tone of haste and speed, instead being moreso about cracking jokes or visual gags for the audience. The humor in this movie had several decent attempts being made, but none induced laughter out of myself; maybe it's just that I'm not one to often laugh until I actually get the joke. I really enjoyed how this movie tries to represent several prominent groups in today's society, and it does a very good job at it. Definitely worth a watch for MARVEL fans.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Captain Marvel

Enjoyed it more than I was expecting really. It's a perfectly fine Marvel film, a bit average but still fun. I didn't really care for the first 20 minutes or so but once we got to Earth I had a better time with it. The actions sequences are okay (I did enjoy the train chase though) and the humor is nice without being too much. I didn't quite catch on a couple of the plot details and it did leave me with questions, but it was still a solid time and I wouldn't mind seeing it again at some point (at least not for another year or two).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Dumbo

Nope. Wasn't a fan. Parts of it looked great (CREDZ!!!), but it was repetitive and boring.

If anyone's worried that it might ruin the original, don't be. It bears absolutely no resemblance to it. It's a completely different film rather than a remake, which isn't a bad thing.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Dumbo

Nope. Wasn't a fan. Parts of it looked great (CREDZ!!!), but it was repetitive and boring.

If anyone's worried that it might ruin the original, don't be. It bears absolutely no resemblance to it. It's a completely different film rather than a remake, which isn't a bad thing.
It was ****ing trash. You are being too kind.

**** this movie.

**** Tim Burton.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
Also saw Dumbo. I liked some aspects of it; the CG creature work was incredible, the Danny Elfman score was fantastic, Keaton being amazing. There was certainly something off about the whole thing, not sure what it was but it made the whole thing a bit meh. The girl being obsessed with science and the big reference to Carousel of progress felt a bit thrown in by an executive.

Watched The Dirt last night on Netflix. A film about Motley Crue, a band I've heard a few tracks of but never looked into much. (although I was excited when I heard of the drum coaster

The film is pretty fun, their story is a bit of a rollercoaster too with some ridiculous moments and also some sad turn of events. Felt like the film didn't really hold back on the crazy which was nice to see considering the band were exectutive producers and its based off a book they wrote. Overall its an enjoyable ride.

peep

CF Legend
Another film, another coaster featured in the background, last night I watched Us. This was fantastic, very eerie and spooky with a brilliant soundtrack and great cast. Highly recommend checking it out if like horror/thrillers.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Another film, another coaster featured in the background, last night I watched Us. This was fantastic, very eerie and spooky with a brilliant soundtrack and great cast. Highly recommend checking it out if like horror/thrillers.
Saw this last night, and it kinda fell flat for me.

The twist was really obvious from the beginning, but the second twist (if you wanna call it that) completely took me out of it.

I'm not a big horror fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Get Out and was interested in this from the first trailer. Maybe it was a bit of overhype on my end

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Shazam!

I wasn't particularly interested, but I really enjoyed it. It's not exactly laugh-out-loud funny, but it had its moments. It didn't feel like there was anything particularly new though; it mixes some usual superhero stuff with '80s "body switch" comedy (Big was clearly a big influence).

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Had a bit of a Netflix and Prime binge over the weekend and watched a whole bunch of old movies that I've been meaning to catch up on. Most of 'em were crap, but I did find a good one that I wish to tell you about, and that was What We Do In The Shadows.
It's one of those fake 'mockumentaries' (like The Office or Best In Show) where a camera crew follows a small group of flat-sharing, New Zealand vampires in the build up to a big, vampire gathering... and it's f***ing hilarious!
It was co-written and directed by the bloke what made Thor: Ragnarok, so if you enjoyed that be sure to check this out - it's currently free on Amazon Prime. I can (almost) guarantee you'll laugh out loud within the first few minutes. Brilliant stuff.
This Is Spinal Vamp, anyone?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Shazam!

I wasn't particularly interested, but I really enjoyed it. It's not exactly laugh-out-loud funny, but it had its moments. It didn't feel like there was anything particularly new though; it mixes some usual superhero stuff with '80s "body switch" comedy (Big was clearly a big influence).
Again, gotta agree 100% with Gavin. I wasn't expecting much, at all, because, well, DC. What a fun movie. Sure, it's a bunch of kids so it's gonna be a bit corny, and thankfully I was warned of that going in, so it definitely prepped me for it, but it was good.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Had a bit of a Netflix and Prime binge over the weekend and watched a whole bunch of old movies that I've been meaning to catch up on. Most of 'em were crap, but I did find a good one that I wish to tell you about, and that was What We Do In The Shadows.
It's one of those fake 'mockumentaries' (like The Office or Best In Show) where a camera crew follows a small group of flat-sharing, New Zealand vampires in the build up to a big, vampire gathering... and it's f***ing hilarious!
It was co-written and directed by the bloke what made Thor: Ragnarok, so if you enjoyed that be sure to check this out - it's currently free on Amazon Prime. I can (almost) guarantee you'll laugh out loud within the first few minutes. Brilliant stuff.
This Is Spinal Vamp, anyone?
Agreed; terrific film. It's now been adapted into a TV series.

peep

CF Legend
Yay for the What we do in the shadows love! Very excited for the tv show.

Saw Shazam! last night. While fun I felt like something was missing? No idea what it was. I love Mark Strong, he was excellent as usual. I thought the 7 sin creatures looked a bit boring. The kids were all great, especially the little girl, felt like she had some great moments. Overall I think my expectations were too high from seeing lots of comments online about how good the twists and humour were but it is enjoyable and it has some great moments.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Shazam - excellent fun superhero film, it's a real shame it's stuck in the rather naff DCEU. Very funny as well, with a lot of genuine laugh out loud moments rather than just a smile or a chuckle. Marvel are lucky they've got Endgame this year, because compared to Glass and Shazam, Captain Marvel was at best average and Far From Home isn't exciting me much either.

Dumbo - Perfectly fine. Didn't feel very Tim Burton-y, which is either a great thing or a bad thing, depending on your opinion on his films. As much as I like some of his films, I do find most of them can be slow or too long, but Dumbo didn't have this problem, which definitely helped. Only real problem with it was none of the characters really stood out, a shame considering how many characters there were, and how good the cast working behind the characters are. Still fun, though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Shazam - Marvel are lucky they've got Endgame this year, because compared to Glass and Shazam, Captain Marvel was at best average and Far From Home isn't exciting me much either.

I'm sorry, but Glass is not good. At all. After reflecting on it more, I'm really starting to hate it.
The ending is just...just bull ****.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Saw green book a few weeks ago - pretty enjoyable romp, and the first time IU've seen anyone other than captain sensible perform "happy talk".

Us - Not quite as coherent as get out, but has moments of sheer brilliance which make it all good, but seriously - how the hell is it only a 15 certificate?

peep

CF Legend
Missing Link - Wasn't expecting much from this, the marketing made it look meh. Really enjoyed it, the animation was fantastic, dialog was funny and the score was pretty good. Laika really seem to know what they're doing, a shame more people don't see their films.

Wild Rose - This is a solid film with an incredible performance by the lead actress. Her character annoyed me constantly which is usually a huge turn off for me with a film but the film keeps things moving and changing enough to keep me engaged. The country music certainly helped. Overall it's a really well made drama with some nice music based moments.

The Sisters Brothers - Wasn't sure what to expect from this Western. It has a great cast but the film is pretty slow and meandering. However it was quite unpredictable which was nice and there was a scene with a spider that made me and several other audience members psychially recoil (a whole huge pile of NOPE). I'm still torn about the film overall, it's good but maybe a bit too slow for my liking.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Hellboy

Tries to incorporate too many comic storylines and references at once, at the cost of a streamlined plot, and ends up being about 50% exposition. Editing is also a bit of a mess at points, the opening scene especially. However, despite an exhausting amount of exposition and some dodgy British accents from the two sidekicks, the violence and gore can be creative and some of the character designs are interesting, and Stephen Graham's frequently swearing scouse monster character is entertaining. On the whole, easily skippable.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Curse of La Llorona

Meh. Very predictable horror. Not enough real back story or explanation of how/why stuff was happening; it just was.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Avengers Endgame

No spoilers, don't worry. I'd sworn off Marvel's stuff since it's all so similar and predictable, but since this is the "last" one (yeah, because they're going to kill that cash cow), I caved.

Meh.

People who are more into Marvel than I am will probably like it, and by "like it", I mean instantly proclaim it as "awesome" and "the best film ever", like every other one that's the best film ever for the immediate hour or two after watching it.