What's new

USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 12: Six Flags America

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It’s been a few weeks since I got back off this trip, so a few bits and pieces may be slightly hazy now, but here goes…

I followed my, now regular, summer plan of heading back to the UK for the summer holidays to see friends and family and ****, but taking a couple of weeks “off” within that to have a proper holiday. My original thoughts had been Texas, but flight times and prices weren’t too attractive, so I ended up getting return flights in and out of Chicago a couple of weeks apart and then filling in the time from there.

Serious advice for anyone traveling from the UK/Europe to the USA: go via Dublin. Obviously, if there are decently-priced direct flight options, then no, but if you need to connect anywhere, it’s a great option. First off, prices were decent, but the best thing is that you deal with all the US immigration stuff before getting on the plane, meaning that once you land, you can just leave the airport right away since you arrive at a domestic terminal (allowing for luggage collection obviously). Sure, it means that there’s some extra faff at the start of the trip, but it’s sooooooooo much better to get that out of the way at the start rather than after a long flight when you just want to get the f**k out of the airport and into a hotel room.

Chicago Day 1

My flight landed sometime around 6pm I think. I got the Metro from the airport to a station fairly close to my hotel in Chicago, which took a while but wasn’t difficult. For anyone who knows the area, I was staying just off the Magnificent Mile at the south end, meaning that pretty much all the major sites were within walking distance. It was getting a little late, and I was tired from travelling all day, but I took a quick, 10-minute walk across to Navy Pier which was pleasant enough at night, but I imagine a bit bland during the day.

DSC06204_zpsy5uu0daf.jpg

DSC06214_zpsh4rr7p32.jpg

No creds:

DSC06209_zpsffpbw7ko.jpg

DSC06207_zps02vzgzxs.jpg

DSC06210_zps6pu9xgc6.jpg

DSC06218_zpsbbypsl74.jpg

DSC06217_zps3c05jlki.jpg

And that was the end of day one.

Chicago Day 2

This would be the first of many pretty full-on days, waking up early and walking for f**king miles getting s**t done. I started by walking up the Magnificent Mile to the John Hancock Centre.

DSC06225_zpsdgj9yazt.jpg

DSC06229_zpsb8qjuofz.jpg

DSC06228_zpscifdiwmd.jpg

There’s an observation deck up here, which isn’t the highest but arguably has the better views than those from the Willis/Sears Tower.

DSC06233_zpszf9nnefn.jpg

It had only just opened, so wasn’t busy at all. I ended up buying some tourist pass that got me into some other stuff a bit later. Anyway, the views were excellent.

DSC06235_zpsfvxl7qpp.jpg

DSC06236_zpszrayidkd.jpg

DSC06242_zps0q1zqyi5.jpg

DSC06248_zpsglopj4z9.jpg

DSC06254_zpsfnbnno3y.jpg

DSC06255_zpsmhjentwa.jpg

DSC06244_zps9tr3hi1s.jpg

DSC06241_zps9ke74sqe.jpg

DSC06260_zpswawwbyuh.jpg

DSC06261_zpsbyaiwf6r.jpg

After staying up there for about half an hour, I just walked back down to where I had started from.

DSC06266_zpspmke6yfo.jpg

DSC06271_zpsnmehihnd.jpg

DSC06273_zpsogxwzd53.jpg

DSC06276_zps5lvwmlgn.jpg

DSC06279_zpszgy5smgt.jpg

DSC06283_zpsk336e4a9.jpg

DSC06282_zpszugufdij.jpg

DSC06292_zpswxsypewo.jpg

DSC06297_zps8aoor65p.jpg

DSC06287_zpsfpqvf5fn.jpg

DSC06286_zpsmeuqw54g.jpg

I just continued heading south and ended up at Millennium Park.

DSC06304_zpsuscq9klo.jpg

DSC06306_zpsemfqfe9s.jpg

DSC06313_zpse3utdzp3.jpg

DSC06327_zpsabwuymrv.jpg

DSC06341_zpsb7zodjed.jpg

It has the fab Cloud Gate sculpture by Anish Kapoor.

DSC06315_zpsinzekhfq.jpg

DSC06319_zpsutgw7ul8.jpg

DSC06317_zpsurtqrkx7.jpg

DSC06325_zps0iomvspb.jpg

DSC06330_zps9eiowln7.jpg

DSC06328_zpsehuklvyi.jpg

DSC06337_zpslk0pwdy2.jpg

Just past this was the Art Institute of Chicago.

DSC06352_zpsm1nhjs1f.jpg

This was on my to-do list at some point, but without a definite plan as to when. Since I was there anyway and it was included in the pass I’d just bought, I just went in. It’s excellent, and huge, with art by pretty much every major name you could think of, including some of their really well-known pieces.

DSC06356_zpsvxic3df3.jpg

DSC06362_zpseeuqnstg.jpg

DSC06379_zpsc8awhfsi.jpg

DSC06373_zpsfok8rua7.jpg

DSC06380_zpsfvijgxe1.jpg

DSC06385_zpsee2qdsii.jpg

I must’ve spent a good three hours or so in there before heading off again.

DSC06387_zpsd6hhbyls.jpg

DSC06389_zpszkszcwbb.jpg

DSC06395_zpscnxrkm50.jpg

DSC06398_zps017xxipw.jpg

The aquarium, despite having a really good reputation, wasn’t really on my list of things to bother with. They’re all much the same thing once you’ve done a few of them, and now that I’ve got Ocean Kingdom not too far away, nothing else comes close.

DSC06402_zpsyfmg98fx.jpg

However, it was there, it was on the pass I’d just bought and was closing a couple of hours later, so I thought I might as well finish off the day there. It was fine. It’s in an impressive old building with an extension for dolphins and beluga whales at the back. There was a piss-poor 3D show included as well.

DSC06407_zps1noxerx4.jpg

DSC06410_zpslmo4upod.jpg

DSC06412_zps2qf3feo2.jpg

DSC06424_zpsjmdqgwtg.jpg

DSC06419_zpscx0j7ap4.jpg

There’s a planetarium nearby as well, which I wasn’t at all interested in – I think the pass had given me choice of either that or the art museum and I took the art museum – but there were decent views back across to the city.

DSC06403_zpsph02r4xh.jpg

DSC06427_zpsaivwppkr.jpg

DSC06428_zpsbw5rirws.jpg

DSC06435_zps5uc4cy0o.jpg

I had tickets to see The Book of Mormon in the evening, so walked back over to that general area and got some food before the show.

DSC06443_zps2dnlwl9f.jpg

DSC06441_zpsd3qstg7o.jpg

It was amazing. I’d wanted to see it for ages, so was really glad when I noticed that it was on in Chicago while I was there.

DSC06449_zpsstvjygn6.jpg

After the show, I just took the 10-minute walk back to my hotel.

DSC06450_zpsv386uvhi.jpg

DSC06454_zpse37xcid3.jpg

DSC06460_zps80e2zgvh.jpg

DSC06457_zpsnzdtwips.jpg

I intended to get onto the first park in this part of the report, but, as usual, I’ve shoved way too much s**t in here already. Going to eat something and get back to it later. Probably.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 1: Chicago

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this report. That makes it sound like I don’t enjoy the other ones you post, but there’s always something nice about reading about places you’re familiar with. :p

I really liked Chicago, I thought it was one of the best US cities I’ve been to so far. What did you think? I notice you didn’t say much about your opinion of the place! :lol:

I want to head back over to Chicago on my way up to Madison and on to another road trip at some point in the coming years, so it’s nice to see these places again.

I look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Seems like you had a nice time! I agree 100% with the Hancock Center. You get both the city and Lake Michigan. Not sure if you did the tilt thing they have, but it was **** terrifying.

I'm excited to see more!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^^Yeah, there’s more of Chicago coming, so I was going to hold off properly commenting until then, but I loved it. It’s possibly/probably my favourite US city at the moment, but I didn’t check out any nightlife thanks to early mornings, so I can’t totally call it.

^I didn't do the tilt thing. Looked a bit pointless and s**t to be honest and would've been better on a different side of the building.

Six Flags Great America

The next day I woke up early to get a train and a bus up to SFGAm. I had to walk about 30 minutes to the train station, which was fine really, but meant leaving even earlier; should’ve got a taxi really, but hey ho. It wasn’t difficult getting to the park, just a tad annoying that somewhere that was an hour’s drive away was going to take more than twice that. I also ended up getting on the wrong bus, which wasn’t disastrous, but it meant I had to walk all the way around the park from the staff entrance rather than being dropped closer to the main one.

DSC06465_zpsjvbwunkb.jpg

The approach through the structure of the woodie, American Eagle (ugh) was cool though; I hadn’t paid much attention to what was here, so was surprised to see a massive racer.

DSC06467_zpskacldvlk.jpg

DSC06472_zpsdjamjoog.jpg

And into the park.

DSC06473_zps5tqsvzpw.jpg

I got here pretty much dead-on opening and went to pick up my flashpass. Since rides weren’t quite opening yet, I couldn’t use it to reserve anything, but headed straight to the back of the park for Goliath, grabbing a couple of pictures of yet-to-open rides on the way.

DSC06474_zpswullagsb.jpg

DSC06475_zpsfqztpfch.jpg

DSC06477_zpsdv9wl9da.jpg

DSC06478_zpsqppxetoc.jpg

DSC06479_zps3uaod1mk.jpg

Goliath wasn’t on the flash pass, but had a single-rider queue which I went straight into with one guy in front of me. We both got on the first train of the day and I got a seat in the second to back row.

DSC06481_zpswtuo20vg.jpg

DSC06482_zpsal6hbn9r.jpg

It was my first RMC, so I had really high expectations, and it didn’t disappoint. The first drop is outstanding, there are a couple of excellent moments of airtime, and the zero-g stall thing is now probably my favourite inversion. It was just weird. It’s like having sustained airtime, only while being upside-down – which doesn’t make sense – rather than the hangtime which I was expecting.

My only criticism is that it was shorter than I was expecting, but that’s minor. I got another quick reride in since there was still nobody in the single-rider queue, then moved on to do the rest of the park.

My flash pass was on by now, so I used it to reserve Vertical Velocity, the Intamin impulse thing. It had no wait at that time anyway, but I figured a single train could build up a queue quite quickly. I picked off the kiddy woodie and Batman clone on the way to that, which were both walk-on.

DSC06485_zps33gzcbyw.jpg

DSC06487_zpslu3njq2o.jpg

DSC06530_zpslfisrxqi.jpg

DSC06489_zps3c0qlc1o.jpg

Both as to be expected really, but I guess it was cool to ride the original B&M invert, even if I didn’t realise that until way after the fact.

DSC06494_zpsjnq4zojk.jpg

Vertical Velocity had picked up a slight queue by the time I got there. Nothing major, but I still managed to walk straight onto it and nab a back-row ride.

DSC06486_zpswmwtqq8p.jpg

DSC06491_zpsr309u9nc.jpg

DSC06528_zpslr1lpeqn.jpg

DSC06531_zpswbkjfxoh.jpg

It’s fine. They’re all basically the same though; let’s be honest. Either this one doesn’t have a holding brake on the straight spike, or it wasn’t grabbing. No biggie.

I won’t go into more detail about how I used the flashpass for the rest of the day, only to say that I think mine was somehow defective, or it was incorrectly on the “Platinum” setting, but it worked totally to my advantage. I got the cheapest one, knowing that it would be fine since I’ve done the same at Magic Mountain and got everything done easily by using it combined with single rider. It’s supposed to give you a return time equivalent to the actual queue time, but mine was giving me just 5-minute wait times for everything for the whole day, meaning that I was essentially using it to just skip queues – some up to around an hour – rather than reserving a place and then standing in a queue for something else while it counted down.

DSC06495_zpsz8ab96l6.jpg

DSC06497_zpsgs65qo2g.jpg

Raging Bull was next.

DSC06499_zpspokvjqkt.jpg

DSC06502_zpsq6rtfnwo.jpg

DSC06505_zpsfzilbzcj.jpg

DSC06514_zpseevqgxgl.jpg

DSC06516_zpsluenitu4.jpg

DSC06518_zpsi1qh7zxw.jpg

It was f**king s**t. I’m a big fan of B&M hypers, but this one was awful. Apart from a predictably decent first drop, it basically did nothing. There was a crappy trim on the first hill which really grabbed and totally neutered the rest of the ride. Worst one of these I’ve done by far, and probably my least favourite B&M after the older stand-ups. A reride later in the day didn’t change my opinion. S**te.

That piece of crap was immediately followed by Viper, which I knew nothing about and figured would basically be a filler attraction.

DSC06503_zpshpxh2kqy.jpg

DSC06509_zpsbowcyizr.jpg

DSC06519_zpsf7ydjils.jpg

DSC06512_zpsa6zsjnib.jpg

It was fab! In a park with so many coasters, many of which get a lot of attention, this was a definite standout and a massive surprise. The regular park guests were clearly more clued-up than I was since it consistently had some of the longer queues in the park. I loved it though; probably the best coaster here after Goliath. I got a few rides in during the day, and still liked it a lot.

Demon came much later in the day at some point, after I’d polished off most of everything else. It was gash.

DSC06507_zpss28yyblr.jpg

DSC06515_zps1cjgjqtc.jpg

DSC06557_zps0958mxbf.jpg

DSC06563_zpsznp9cs2j.jpg

Superman flyer. It is what it is.

DSC06520_zpswfgewtoa.jpg

DSC06521_zpsxc1arclt.jpg

DSC06524_zpsdygq53dp.jpg

This is the third one of this clone I’ve done now, and while the themeing on Crystal Wings elevates the whole thing quite a bit, it’s still my least favourite flyer layout. I honestly prefer Air. At least this one had a single rider queue.

Mouse in a shed. Fine really. At least the theming makes it slightly more interesting. I had to wait a bit for this since the flashpass line doesn’t dump you quite as close to the station as the other coasters.

DSC06526_zpsgemwsntf.jpg

DSC06527_zpsyjtvrlgu.jpg

The kiddy coaster was a bit more substantial than I thought. I think there was an adult only with child policy, but I walked on with no problems. +1

DSC06538_zpsik4sercf.jpg

You get some good views of Goliath at least, which I headed back to for a reride and ended up having to wait about 45 minutes for, by far the longest I waited for anything all day. It was worth it though, and I couldn’t complain since I’d been pretty much walking onto everything else.

DSC06535_zpswt2xt5fo.jpg
#

DSC06539_zpsrz4ai9zy.jpg

DSC06533_zps2ahffdjf.jpg

DSC06540_zpsnllwvmsp.jpg

DSC06562_zpsynr92ota.jpg

I’d always quite liked the look of X-Flight. It always reminded me of a more substantial Swarm.

DSC06543_zpsksc8huxy.jpg

DSC06546_zpswqjry4cd.jpg

DSC06547_zpsflmunevt.jpg

DSC06550_zpswnqvrhit.jpg

I hated it though. It was just really bumpy and rattly the whole way round. I was right near, but not at, the back. The whole back row on the train I was on was roped off. I’m kind of thinking the other train might have ridden better, but I just didn’t care enough to ride again to find out. I’ve only done four of these, but this was easily my least favourite. It, admittedly, looks impressive though. I’m talking more about the whole flow of the thing rather than the piss-poor “themeing”.

DSC06552_zps07ixh9uw.jpg

DSC06553_zpsbdc6rhsy.jpg

I’d kind of forgotten about the massive racing woodie, but headed over to that via the park’s new dark ride, Justice League.

DSC06554_zps7vyxd9ox.jpg

DSC06556_zpsgjagzom9.jpg

This had been down for a while when I’d walked past earlier, but was fine again later in the day. It’s excellent, and a massive departure from what you’d expect from an American chain park outside of Disney or Universal. It’s not quite up to that standard, but it’s seriously not far off to be honest. The single rider queuing system is bizarre though: very badly designed and causing a lot of confusion.

DSC06565_zpsu8uyyhb5.jpg

American Eagle wasn’t on the flashpass, and they’d only been running the blue side all day up until that point, so the queue was at about half an hour. Literally 30 seconds after I’d moved past the fork in the queue where you would choose which side to ride, they decided to open the red side. Bad timing, but at least it meant I’d get to ride both.

DSC06559_zpsphouseya.jpg

It was pretty good. The drops were all decent, but there’s a horrible helix at the far end before the return to the station which kind of ruins things a bit. It’s actually a massive ride though, which I hadn’t been expecting. Again, in a park with so many coasters, it’s easy to forget about what’s there or kind of see something as “filler” when it’s really not.

I was almost on my way out of the park, and then realised I hadn’t gone back to Whizzer, which I’d passed on the way in and then forgotten about.

DSC06566_zps3kxw5ouz.jpg

I know that these are classics, but it’s all a bit dull. It was more substantial than I thought it would be though since you can see so little of it from offride.

Overall thoughts then. I really liked this park. After Magic Mountain, it’s easily the best Six Flags park that I’ve done. There’s a massive coaster selection, the park feels pleasant, and operations are very good. Obviously, I had the flashpass, but I could still tell that ride-ops were getting things out quickly and everything was running on multiple trains.

Goliath is fantastic, and Viper was an excellent surprise, though Raging Bull was a massive let-down.

I know I’ve been a bit negative about a few of the coasters, but that’s purely personal and mainly because it’s stuff that I’ve done before; it’s hard for me to get excited for another Batman or Superman clone, or an Intamin impulse. Having said that, they’re excellent rides for most park goers, and the whole lot adds up to a really solid collection.

I would’ve perhaps liked to have stayed a bit longer for another ride or two on Goliath and Viper, but knowing that I had quite a mission to get back to Chicago I headed out quite early. That’s another major disadvantage with using public transport; not really taking advantage of American parks’ late closing times.

I could’ve stayed much longer and still been able to get back – the transport here was really decent compared to most; I think the last bus actually left after park closing – but the whole point of the flashpass was to allow me to do everything within a reasonable enough timeframe to not be getting back to Chicago too late. It more than did that since I got in a few rerides, so I stuck with the plan to get out quite early.

I walked back from the station to the hotel, via the riverwalk, grabbing a few pictures on the way back.

DSC06464_zpslxu8u9vg.jpg

DSC06568_zpshno62dae.jpg

DSC06569_zpsewzowskq.jpg

DSC06572_zpseps0haw0.jpg

DSC06573_zpssazzcmwy.jpg

DSC06574_zps5tj5x4vx.jpg

DSC06575_zpskxzkltja.jpg

DSC06576_zpsolgtri5z.jpg

DSC06578_zpse82ltzas.jpg

DSC06580_zpspyeu4fig.jpg

DSC06581_zpsadpnwqq2.jpg

DSC06585_zpsgfcnvcun.jpg

DSC06586_zps98cgrhav.jpg

DSC06587_zpsbi5rt1ga.jpg

DSC06588_zpsve89avp8.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 2: Six Flags Great America

Glad you enjoyed my home park. Agree 100% on Viper, insanely underrated. The airtime is just fabulous. I'm looking forward to see the rest of the TR!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Book of Mormon is **** fantastic. I'm trying to see it again.

I agree about everything you said (minus x flight and goliath as they weren't there last time I went) but the selection is quite good. Viper was amazing, and Raging Bull trim is the worst.

Chicago is amazing. Need to go back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hutch

Strata Poster

Yeah, Book of Mormon is amazing. Nice to see that you enjoyed it.

I've been to the city quite a few times now but I've never gotten the chance to visit the park. Hopefully that'll change in a year or two; it's nice to hear that it seems like one of the better Six Flags parks.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Really disappointed Raging Bull is awful. It has the most original layout of all the B&M hypers and looks really great too.

Fab report as always though!

Sandman

Giga Poster

Another fab report gavin, with some fantastic photos to boot. I have to agree that X-Flight certainly looks more interesting than Swarm, so it's a shame to hear it's not so great. Same for Raging Bull although I've always thought it looked like one of the weaker hypers.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I had another full day in Chicago, so did a bit more wandering around, basically zigzagging down to the Willis (Sears) Tower.

DSC06591_zps0vboxrla.jpg

DSC06595_zpsujgpmwf3.jpg

DSC06600_zpsesx3i4u4.jpg

I went up to the viewing platform, but it wasn’t as good as the one from a couple of days before, despite being higher. The building itself is an absolute monstrosity, too.

DSC06616_zpswtzmbog3.jpg

DSC06606_zpsawiyfoes.jpg

DSC06608_zpsqhghever.jpg

DSC06611_zpsvrrscidi.jpg

More wandering about…

DSC06619_zpsoejnieor.jpg

DSC06622_zpshicghi69.jpg

DSC06624_zpskbrsp0j9.jpg

DSC06627_zpsjvxxdck7.jpg

DSC06628_zpsiqc7ucyt.jpg

I was basically heading back down to where I’d been a couple of days before, when I finished up at the aquarium. The Field Museum is right next to it, but I didn’t have time to do it on that first day. There was a temporary terracotta warriors exhibit which cost extra, but since I'd seen the actual thing just a couple of months previously, I didn't bother with it.

DSC06630_zpsaxjspiyq.jpg

DSC06633_zpsrair8qxi.jpg

DSC06634_zpsd857kgzd.jpg

It’s a natural history museum, and it’s amazing. I think I’d probably even put it above New York’s, but I’d have to revisit to be sure. It’s most well-known for housing Sue, the biggest and most complete T-Rex skeleton ever found.

DSC06637_zpsztfmdmrp.jpg

DSC06643_zps9ka2g7y9.jpg

The skull is a replica/cast since the real one is too heavy to mount. You can still see it in a separate case on the upper level though. Pictures when I get to them.

DSC06638_zpsjcu0ogfx.jpg

The animal exhibits are huge and really well-presented, including the Lions of Tsavo, a pair of man-eaters who are thought to have killed up to 135 people. They’re not in great condition though since they were used as rugs for ages before being sent to the museum and redisplayed.

DSC06645_zpsdlpvjie5.jpg

DSC06646_zpsdwgr5va8.jpg

DSC06647_zpsvga6jqs5.jpg

DSC06648_zpsvuoiir6m.jpg

DSC06651_zps2pckxlvm.jpg

The Egyptian section was decent, but not a patch on London’s or The Louvre.

DSC06654_zpslcwyzaug.jpg

DSC06657_zps6xrtqzxz.jpg

0a460567-76a3-4318-9cdb-49cdccde2484_zpsbjqrzzwo.jpg

Sue’s original skull is an a case at the entrance to the dinosaur section, which was fab and led onto fossils of giant , extinct mammals as well.

DSC06672_zps5m2jo13q.jpg

DSC06667_zpsipqz7siv.jpg

DSC06669_zpshdunkckz.jpg

DSC06665_zpscwogfxir.jpg

The vast majority of the fossils here are real as well, as opposed to the casts that a lot of museums are filled with.

DSC06678_zpspelir05s.jpg

DSC06681_zpsmh4pr0bx.jpg

DSC06684_zpsdutprkzt.jpg

DSC06685_zpsjblxp7dg.jpg

DSC06687_zpsdyglliou.jpg

DSC06686_zps7oc1cu4r.jpg

DSC06690_zps1ejqcfvt.jpg

DSC06692_zpsfjet9qfl.jpg

DSC06694_zpsaic3co9a.jpg

DSC06696_zpsowz416vu.jpg

DSC06700_zpskjwo4u9j.jpg

DSC06702_zps4pl7dbap.jpg

DSC06703_zpsjkdlfgbk.jpg

DSC06705_zpsx8ogzjbr.jpg

There was loads more here, including a huge collection on rocks, meteorites, gems and minerals and s**t, but I’ll just chuck in a couple more pictures of Sue.

DSC06708_zpszh6oleow.jpg

DSC06718_zpszc9mzstd.jpg

And that’s basically it with Chicago. I wish I’d have given myself another day or two to be honest. I’d seen a lot there and walked around a lot of it, but it’s huge and there are whole areas I didn’t go near. I basically didn’t go further north than the John Hancock Building, so didn’t get up to Lincoln Park and the area around there.

I loved it though. I’d probably say it’s my favourite US city now. It felt in many ways like a cleaner, more chilled-out version of New York. I live in the city with more skyscrapers than any other in the world, but they’re all very new and a lot of them are quite generic apartment blocks. The buildings in Chicago were really varied and seemed more imposing and substantial due to a lot of them dating from much earlier and being built from stone rather than glass and steel.

I was kind of worried as I was leaving that it might have been a better idea to have finished here rather than started since the rest of the places and parks I had planned to visit seemed like they might end up being a bit disappointing, but I needn’t have worried really.

The next day was my biggest pain in the arse with regards to travel. Well, not really a pain – it was easy – but just time-consuming. It took me pretty much the whole day to get the bus to Muskegon, on the opposite side of Lake Michigan, changing at Grand Rapids. The bus was surprisingly fine though, comfortable enough with WiFi and power sockets etc.

I’d chosen a hotel right on the lake since it was a quick walk from the bus station and relatively close to Michigan’s Adventure. It was the most expensive of the trip at around $200 a night, but I figured that I’d fork out for it since I’d likely be spending a bit more time in it than most of the others and there weren’t a great many other options really. I got a great view from my room though, so just ordered room service and wine and chilled out.

DSC06728_zpskv0bqysm.jpg

DSC06722_zps4fzuwdfu.jpg

DSC06724_zpsgtgxgzpo.jpg

Michigan’s Adventure next…

Gazza

Giga Poster
Re: USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 3: More Chicago

Dammit, I missed Viper (And the kiddy woodie) due to running out of time. I was thinking Viper would be a typical **** second tier woodie, but sounds like I actually missed something good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^That's a real shame. I hate it when smug people make the whole "you should've done blah blah blah" comments, but...

Next day then…

Michigan’s Adventure

When I’d been looking into it, I’d found that there was a bus from Muskegon to the park. Excellent. I was heading here on a Saturday though, and the bus to the amusement park didn’t run at the weekend. F**king genius. Instead, I had to take a $30 taxi, adding to the already ludicrous amount of money these creds were costing me. Also, a hint to taxi drivers: it might not be the best idea to argue politics with a customer if you want a tip, you Trump-supporting, racist, sexist piece of s**t.

Anyway…

DSC06731_zpsrn5fjqgb.jpg

The place was quite busy, and I hadn’t sprung for a fastpass figuring that I’d easily get stuff done even if there were queues. The fact that I’d have to get a taxi back anyway meant that I didn’t have to worry about getting done by a certain time. I hit up the wild mouse first since the capacity wasn’t great. I think I waited about half an hour for it, but it looked to be about double that later in the day.

DSC06730_zpso41dc6a2.jpg

DSC06751_zpstpo7g4p9.jpg

DSC06830_zps5xbgbjnv.jpg

Corkscrew was what it was. It wasn’t the worst I’ve done, but didn’t warrant a reride. I rode this much later in the day, but the photos are in this order.

DSC06733_zpslbgw3ncy.jpg

DSC06753_zpsp1ukzxnd.jpg

DSC06754_zpsn5zttyxj.jpg

DSC06810_zpso3g4arxh.jpg

DSC06798_zpsy4wno2de.jpg

DSC06793_zpszzq4ekmj.jpg

I’ll just throw the +1 kiddy coaster and kiddy woodie in here. Not much to say really. The woodie was fine though.

DSC06802_zpspoqxkbd1.jpg

DSC06806_zpsq8ch7gkt.jpg

DSC06805_zpsmpbkurgk.jpg

DSC06757_zpsglzk0oz3.jpg

DSC06756_zps3mnmf4nn.jpg

They had a small petting zoo area.

DSC06748_zpstjiafzuw.jpg

Wolverine Wildcat was a coaster I’d heard basically nothing about, but I really liked it. It’s definitely not top-ten material, but still a really fun woodie with some decent airtime. It looks great next to the lake as well. Good stuff.

DSC06734_zpsct8pclyh.jpg

DSC06738_zps25l8ehj2.jpg

DSC06737_zpsj7fp1tex.jpg

DSC06743_zps1fujeqtj.jpg

DSC06763_zpsdnwzoznm.jpg

DSC06764_zpsqiougk3k.jpg

DSC06774_zpsaxb9d1yh.jpg

DSC06779_zpsce1mmzqi.jpg

DSC06781_zpsy2fpxqai.jpg

DSC06795_zpskhg1es3y.jpg

I tend to skip them these days, but I was getting stuff done in plenty of time, so did the rapids. Nothing special really.

DSC06787_zpsxse8e758.jpg

The SLC, Thunderhawk, was fine really. Definitely not worth a reride after waiting half an hour for it, but firmly in the middle of the list of these things in terms of vileness. Put here in 2008, after being relocated from Geauga Lake, it’s still the park’s “newest” coaster.

DSC06735_zpsncicn94t.jpg

DSC06761_zpsp3ginyrw.jpg

DSC06776_zpsrvhx4fem.jpg

DSC06770_zpsdwhjqv6h.jpg

DSC06783_zps3xusbnbk.jpg

The main draw here though is obviously Shivering Timbers, which is impossible to get pictures of from inside the park.

DSC06745_zpsdoyh8t05.jpg

Without checking, I think it was the number one wooden coaster for a while, but I’d heard very mixed things about it over the last few years. I loved it though. The layout is obviously quite uninspired – it’s just a s**tload of hills – but I didn’t care; I thought it was fab.

I had to wait a while for the taxi I’d called, so had a walk through the car park to get a few pictures of it while I waited.

DSC06814_zpsdiljrxnr.jpg

DSC06815_zpsfqzwje1h.jpg

DSC06817_zpsbatfonbx.jpg

DSC06821_zpsf5tlh1pt.jpg

DSC06823_zpskxbmmzpz.jpg

DSC06825_zpskra8idcz.jpg

DSC06821_zpssrsgc6o1.jpg

I thought the park was ok really, considering I wasn’t expecting much. It had a nice setting around the lake, and two decent woodies, though not much else of any note really. Apparently the waterpark is decent, but they’re not really my thing.

I got back into Muskegon in the late afternoon, so had a bit of a wander around the “downtown” area.

DSC06833_zps0ll93wno.jpg

DSC06835_zpstoqagtuy.jpg

DSC06837_zps3p1drx4c.jpg

DSC06839_zpswbfk1let.jpg

I thought it was really cute. I hadn’t spent any time in small US town before other than driving through a few, so it was good to get to see one properly. I know it’s a different part of the States completely, but it reminded me a lot of the towns that Stephen King sets a lot of his stories in if that makes sense.

DSC06842_zpskrkmo2vl.jpg

DSC06865_zpswbghk5b1.jpg

DSC06856_zpsg6pqsn2e.jpg

DSC06858_zpsvcvzeo8e.jpg

DSC06876_zpszf1chb9v.jpg

DSC06860_zpsrlovjpq4.jpg

These two houses were fab. Welcome to Mystic Manor.

DSC06854_zpsqhn5meun.jpg

DSC06846_zpskfe3jplc.jpg

DSC06853_zpssp6nm5yn.jpg

DSC06844_zpspmmrojbz.jpg

I think this was some kind of museum, but it was closed by the time I was there.

DSC06867_zps70ft6rlk.jpg

The theatre was fab. So American.

DSC06870_zpsllmqdugr.jpg

DSC06877_zpsexulsmu6.jpg

My hotel had a really nice restaurant just next door, so had dinner there and another chilled out night.

DSC06880_zpstp0bqvnt.jpg

Overall thoughts on this part of the trip then. After booking stuff, I’d actually started to regret the effort involved considering it was just Michigan’s Adventure. If the hotel hadn’t already taken payment – I opted for the cheaper non-cancellation rates – I think I’d have very likely sacked it off considering the time, effort and money involved. A pretty mediocre park had taken me two days, despite only needing a few hours there, and around $620 taking everything into account.

However, I’m glad I made the effort. The park itself isn’t on a lot of people’s lists to visit, and is quite out of the way from other parks, so I don’t think I’d have been likely to get there at any point in the near future. It was also nice to have a couple of chilled out days and spend a bit of time somewhere I never would have heard about or had any inclination to visit otherwise. I doubt even people who’ve been to Michigan’s Adventure would have bothered spending any time in the area after getting the creds done, so I’m glad I did really.

Would I rush back? No, but I’m pleased that it turned out to be an overall pleasant experience considering I was expecting to regret it as I was leaving Chicago.

davidm

Strata Poster

ha ha "Sue" :)

Think I must be one of the few that actually likes Raging Bull though ; was my first BIG beemer but I don't think I'm misty-eyed over it because of that as I've been back a few times and I've rode lots "better" since that first time and I do still like it - each to their own!

Agree with M/A comments ; its nice enough - big woodies are good - but not a wow place at all and a heck of a way to get to - I did it by car and it was probably a day and half detour, can only marvel at your dedication to the goon by doing it all car-less. (And yeah you are right, having a car it was just a "lets get the hell out of here" after the park was done rather)

Looking forward to the Dells! :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

gavin said:
However, I’m glad I made the effort. The park itself isn’t on a lot of people’s lists to visit, and is quite out of the way from other parks, so I don’t think I’d have been likely to get there at any point in the near future. It was also nice to have a couple of chilled out days and spend a bit of time somewhere I never would have heard about or had any inclination to visit otherwise. I doubt even people who’ve been to Michigan’s Adventure would have bothered spending any time in the area after getting the creds done, so I’m glad I did really.
I did pretty much what you say here - just drove up to Muskegon, crashed in a motel, visited the park and then headed straight back to Chicago. I suppose in hindsight I could have done something like you did (and in fact, I'd have probably quite liked to), but it didn't occur to me at the time!

gavin said:
Would I rush back? No, but I’m pleased that it turned out to be an overall pleasant experience considering I was expecting to regret it as I was leaving Chicago.
I'm glad you didn't regret it - these long trips to relatively uninspiring parks can sometimes be a let down, but it seems like you actually had a good time. I particularly like the view form your hotel, that's excellent!

I also agree about Shivering Timbers. It was a coaster I'd known about for many years (the "textbook" out-and-back layout), and I actually thought it was rather fab. Like you say, not top ten (or even twenty) material, but really fun.

Thanks for the update. :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

david morton said:
ha ha "Sue" :)

Think I must be one of the few that actually likes Raging Bull though ; was my first BIG beemer but I don't think I'm misty-eyed over it because of that as I've been back a few times and I've rode lots "better" since that first time and I do still like it - each to their own!

Agree with M/A comments ; its nice enough - big woodies are good - but not a wow place at all and a heck of a way to get to - I did it by car and it was probably a day and half detour, can only marvel at your dedication to the goon by doing it all car-less. (And yeah you are right, having a car it was just a "lets get the hell out of here" after the park was done rather)

Looking forward to the Dells! :)
I'm pretty much the same with you on Bull. I like it as well. The first drop is amazing, and does offer 2 nice moments of floater after, but isn't anything to scream about. Probably in my top 30. However, marathoning it is quite fun, especially at night in the back row without moving. :p

Anyway, nice report as always Gavin. Glad to hear that you didn't completely hate MA, pushes my expectations up ever so slightly. I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on The Dells. Quite an overlooked place imo.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 4: Michigan's Adventure

^ Coming in the next part, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The next day, I got a ferry in the morning from Muskegon to Milwaukee, which is pretty much directly across Lake Michigan. It’s a bit of a ripoff at $95, but was fast and comfortable. I had thought to just connect directly to a train that afternoon for the next part of the trip – there’s just one in a day in the direction I was going - but decided instead to spend a night in Milwaukee, which I basically knew nothing about apart from that’s where Jeffrey Dahmer raped, murdered and ate a bunch of gays, not necessarily in that order.

Milwaukee

I got to my hotel around lunchtime and had the rest of that day, plus most of the next one, to wander around aimlessly. I was staying just off the Riverwalk area, so everything of interest was in easy walking distance.

View from the hotel:

DSC06887_zpsgwlnnvwv.jpg

Some stuff I saw as I walked down to Lake Michigan:

DSC06889_zpsz4yxnnhq.jpg

DSC06890_zpsl4kw71gl.jpg

DSC06891_zpsvml43tot.jpg

DSC06894_zps7kwiuaey.jpg

DSC06896_zpsurrhsmkp.jpg

DSC06897_zpsnjz64xk0.jpg

DSC06901_zpszsqyxbxi.jpg

DSC06903_zpsmagl4dep.jpg

DSC06911_zpsnndjjb5e.jpg

This building turned out to be an art museum. I had a look since I had loads of time and nothing really planned. It was really impressive considering Milwaukee isn’t that big. Well, biggest city in Wisconsin, but that’s not saying much.

DSC06906_zpsbmxxwvbl.jpg

DSC06907_zpstgjwnukh.jpg

DSC06913_zpssfrkoz4h.jpg

DSC06916_zps59crpcid.jpg

DSC06918_zpsojfm2wug.jpg

DSC06923_zpst2dafze6.jpg

DSC06925_zpsgag3eyjx.jpg

DSC06926_zps2q4cxbiw.jpg

This piece of s**t made me giggle.

DSC06933_zpsvloc8mli.jpg

DSC06935_zpsic1h0r6k.jpg

The building itself is really fab, right on the water.

DSC06937_zpsk06r6sre.jpg

DSC06941_zpsb1qnhqkj.jpg

From there, I walked along the lake for a bit. It was really nice.

DSC06938_zpsl7ealyz3.jpg

DSC06950_zpsys4kx34e.jpg

DSC06951_zpsopqdh3by.jpg

After walking along there for a bit, I circled back round to the river, which I hadn’t seen much of at that point, and followed it back up towards my hotel.

DSC06960_zps5cceug75.jpg

DSC06962_zps0iajfqcy.jpg

DSC06966_zpsvkmqfise.jpg

DSC06976_zps2bvryad2.jpg

The City Hall building was really impressive. I found out later that it was the tallest building in the USA when it was built.

DSC06968_zpsqgg6kesa.jpg

DSC06971_zpszryhrou1.jpg

The Riverwalk had a bunch of sculptures along it, including this monstrosity: The Bronze Fonze.
DSC06979_zpsxt9cpvaf.jpg

DSC06973_zpscupx3fnt.jpg

I got dinner somewhere along the river and was back to the hotel in the early evening. I had a few drinks and thought about going out since I didn’t have to get up early the next day, but decided against it since I was pretty tired from a week of early mornings and I figured that there wouldn’t be too much going on on Sunday night anyway.

I’d pretty much done anything that needed to be done, so had a lie in the next day, left bags at the hotel for the afternoon and just had a few hours relaxing around the river before heading to the train station.

DSC06982_zps0fs2gnyq.jpg

DSC06985_zpsmcelhbgm.jpg

So, Milwaukee. It was really nice, but there wasn’t a lot going on while I was there. The areas around the lake and river were lovely for a wander without having much to actually do. Still, I’m glad I stopped off there. If I hadn’t detoured to Muskegan, I likely wouldn’t have been there at all other than passing through on a train.

More creds in the next bit.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Milwaukee looks nice! I never made the effort to go while I was in Madison (well, I went to the suburbs of Milwaukee once, and then left at night, so that doesn't really count). It looks like a nice little city, another place I'll probably add when I head back to see some friends in Wisconsin.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip to the Dells next! :)

S

SimonSays99

You have my respect for doing an US trip on public transport.

Last year I only did a day trip to Washington by train as I stayed near Kings Dominion in Ashland. I thought for quite some time the Northeast Regional could now pick up speed as we left the town - but no, it went slower than any German commuter rail or subway... =D>

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Yeah, it's pretty bad. However, US parks that I've done are actually very doable and not actually difficult. It's just that you need to be quite organised with regards to timing since there may not be a lot of options. It may be different with much smaller parks, but I've never had an issue actually getting to where I needed to go. But yeah, it's still total s**t compared to Europe or Asia.

The trains are actually really comfortable though, with loads of leg room, power at each seat, WiFi etc. It's just that they don't run regularly enough and they're extremely f**king slow. Luckily, I only took a couple of them for some relatively short trips. The longest was just under 4 hours. Any longer than that, and it's to the airport thanks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

After my second day lazing around Milwaukee, I had a two hour train ride to Wisconsin Dells, getting me there at around 6pm I think. Like I said in the last post, the train was actually really comfortable, and I only paid $19 for it. There’s only one train a day though, which starts in Chicago and ends in Seattle about 6 months later.

For a few hours, it’s a decent way to travel – more comfortable than UK trains at least, though a lot slower - but I’d never do a longer trip. I spoke to a woman next to me who was doing the whole route. She was in her sixties and had never even been on a train before, so the trip itself was kind of her vacation. The journey is more important than the destination, or some other such faux-inspirational s**t. Anyway…

Wisconsin Dells Part 1

My hotel was about a 20-minute walk from the train station, so I sucked that up rather than piss about trying to find a taxi number. I had to walk past Timber Falls on the way and noticed that it was open quite late. The plan was to just get to the hotel and be lazy, but I decided to knock off the Timber Falls woodie instead. I suppose I could have just done it there and then, leaving luggage on the platform of the coaster.

The previous 3 hotels had been 4/5* with decent views. This one was a Quality Inn, with this stunning vista greeting me outside the window.

DSC07128_zpsfoconujj.jpg

It was fine though, and was actually one of the more expensive hotels on the trip, due to being high-season in a heavily-touristed area. Timber Falls was a 10-minute walk, so I just headed back there.

The billboard outside my hotel was a clear indication of the kind of place Wisconsin Dells is.

DSC07017_zpsn7ewblcd.jpg

Timber Falls is right on the main road. Until I planned this trip, I’d never even heard of it, so it was fab to find out there was a fairly substantial bonus woodie.

DSC06995_zpsipv6ahia.jpg

DSC06990_zpsdwcgcxbx.jpg

The “park” itself though is just basically one of many crazy golf courses in the area.

DSC07015_zpsmibwxwhp.jpg

DSC07000_zpsthlpuz3k.jpg

DSC06994_zpstqmmvrqf.jpg

DSC06996_zpsx8qo5wes.jpg

Even though I knew the place was open, I hadn’t seen the coaster running, so thought that maybe it had closed earlier. It was fine though, and $6 wasn’t an unreasonable price.

DSC07002_zps2eqcufgj.jpg

DSC07007_zpsrznvsorb.jpg

DSC07010_zpsja9h5sgg.jpg

DSC07013_zpsg3wdh4er.jpg

It looks pretty impressive, circling the crazy golf and a log flume. I was the only person in the whole park, so rode the coaster alone, opting for the back seat.

DSC07008_zpsiin812ok.jpg

DSC07009_zpsodfmp9bv.jpg

DSC07012_zpscnysxfkj.jpg

It was f**king s**t. Like, really, really bad. It was rougher than a Glasgow prostitute and had absolutely zero airtime whatsoever. I hated it.

The other main attraction was this sketchy as hell Booster, which only had seats on one end, although it was clear the other end was supposed to have them, too.

DSC07014_zpsvppp7vly.jpg

I got dinner at a really good Mexican restaurant across the street, where my British accent was a thing of wonder to the waiter and which had an outdoor terrace with a fab view.

DSC07016_zpsfkknj6g7.jpg

Then it was back to my luxury accommodation.

Next up: Mt Olympus