What's new

USA Summer 2016 PTR - Part 12: Six Flags America

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I haven't looked into those two, but there must be ways to get to Pigeon Forge and Branson based on them being busy tourist areas? It might be a case of taxis once you're there though I guess.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Branson does have its own airport, and probably some sort of train connection from St. Louis or another neighboring state. The park itself is a bit far, so a rental car or a taxi is your best bet.

Pigeon Forge is more remote, but Dollywood is closer to the 'city center'. They probably have a bus or taxi system.

I actually had a somewhat positive visit at SFA. Yeah, it's the worst SF park, but I don't think it's that bad as people say it is. The front half of the park does actually look fairly decent, and has some nice theming. Though I haven't been on all the coasters(rode the SLC, Roar, Apocalypse, and SROS at the park, and rode Cajun at SFGAm), I somewhat agree. Superman was great fun, Roar was a massive let down, the SLC is in my bottom 5, and Apocalypse is the worst B&M I've been on. Didn't have too many problems there, aside from my short schedule.

Great report btw. Loved your bit on the National Art Museum. Also agree on Natural History, huge let down. Can't wait to see another TR!

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
There is a tourist trolley type thing (aka "bus") in Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg ; does a route of both towns and Dollywood so once you are there you can exist without a car. Might even recommend staying in Gatlinburg rather than Pigeon Forge without a car too as its much more walkable than the spread-out / strip-mall-like Pigeon Forge (more variety of hotel choices in PF though I would think).

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Branson also seems to have a greyhound stop so I don't know how all that went over my head The problem with Dollywood is getting to Pigeon Forge.

peep

CF Legend
Great trip report Gavin!

There's quite a few places in this report I'd like to get to at some point. Really interesting to see how you did everything by public transport too.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just catching up with this - sorry for the delay! :)

Your thoughts on DC are pretty similar to mine. I really liked the openness of the whole place, and the monuments were pretty impressive (I agree there were a few too many weeping people for my liking). The Air and Space was one of my favourite museums - but that might not be surprising. :p

I didn't manage to get to see the National Archive (we had those huge crowds you spoke of), and we didn't make it up the Washington Monument (regret that a bit, the views look amazing), so maybe something for me to do if I'm passing through again.

SFA was gross, I agree. Plus I got spited by Superman! :p

Thanks for taking the time to finish the report. :)