What's new

The Worlds Most Debatable Creds!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
So i thought i'd get a little thread going with all the debatable creds you've seen, ridden or heard about...

First up we've got this!
I dont think this is a cred personally but realistically if it isn't, then what is it?!

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
So i thought i'd get a little thread going with all the debatable creds you've seen, ridden or heard about...

First up we've got this!
I dont think this is a cred personally but realistically if it isn't, then what is it?!

Secondly...
Now this is just a ghost train without any of the ghoulishness surely?

Any more?
I don't know, but I want to ride that snail ride!

I heard when they built the first prototype car, they painted an 's' for snail on the side, but it turned out to be too fast and people would gather around and shout, "Wow, look at that S car go!"

I'll get my coat ...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The Hulk at Islands of Adventure surely qualifies? They demolished the coaster that stood there previously, and built an entirely new one from scratch. Surely the fact that they are completely identical shouldn't disqualify the old and new coaster from being separate creds? The new one is a clone of the old, built in the same location.

Then you have this lovely contraption:
WonderWheelNewYork.jpg

Cars slide on a track, powered by gravity. They have no propulsion system of their own. A single motor is used to hoist the cars to the apex of the track (it's the motor rotating the wheel, of course), the rest is a matter of momentum and gravity.

Of course you should count the Wonder Wheel and its sibling Mickey's Fun Wheel as a creds. The question is: how many creds? Should each of the cars count as a separate cred, as it has its own track?

(for the record, and contrary to previous statements, I would not count either example in this post)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Wow. It would never remotely cross my mind to think of Deno's Wonder Wheel as a coaster cred!

If we count that as a coaster, it's a slippery slope (pun intended).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Incredible Hulk has surely jumped to top of mind for many people. By the tried and true "one set of track = one credit" method, it is a new ride; however the manner in which is was replaced, with every last inch remaining the same puts the coaster in a gray zone of cred whore vs. sensible human being.

Racing roller coasters are often debated, especially those that are the same structure, such as Gemini or American Eagle. I've always leaned towards one track = one credit, as the ride can still operate with only one side operational. Though the argument of the intent of the ride to act as one is certainly true.

Overall, I always go back to the singular question: "Was this meant to be a roller coaster?" As we just experienced with the Six Flags Larson Loopers and Cedar Fair Disk'Os - some rides can be advertised as roller coasters, yet still miss inherent roller coaster qualities outside of the obvious question of track elements, gravity sections, etc.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I heard when they built the first prototype car, they painted an 's' for snail on the side, but it turned out to be too fast and people would gather around and shout, "Wow, look at that S car go!"

I'll get my coat ...

I was gonna do this joke in the 'French' thread.
Thought better of it in the end.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
The edge- not a cred, it's a small train with a tilting car!

Snails - cred

Denos wonder wheel - Don't be flipping stupid!

davidm

Strata Poster
Ghost Train at Blackpool (and similar things elsewhere) - track / drop / coasts up a hill etc.

Not sold on the Snails, no coasting involved.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Snails aren't creds at all, it's a dark ride system, so by including them you have to include anything powered which goes down any drop, so there's an extra 3 creds at Bakken for the Ghost Trains...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I counted snails when I was young and foolish. I still count it as to remove it would mess up my count milestones. I don't count Fuga da Atlantide at Gardaland though, so I reckon it evens out ;p

The only thing I count that's debatable is a cycle coaster from Japan. Can't remember the park off the top of my head, but it had a lift hill and coasting sections.

Kalistos

Mega Poster
The only true question is : what is the exact universal dictionnary definition of "credit"? You must start by that if you want to answer to this debate accurately. You need criteria before talking about the ambiguities of some rides.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The only true question is : what is the exact universal dictionnary definition of "credit"? You must start by that if you want to answer to this debate accurately. You need criteria before talking about the ambiguities of some rides.

The problem is that no clear definition has ever been worked out. Any attempt has ended up also comprising some weird, but distinctly non-coastery rides, like the ferris wheel above, or otherwise excluding rides that clearly are coasters. And then there's the question of rides that underwent makeovers, clones, relocations, et cetera.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
That was on rcdb for while before being removed (much like Snails at Joyland Great Yarmouth)
I think at one point Duane made a mention that when it came to somewhat questionable water rides. If the coaster aspect only was part of a singular drop feature he would no longer count it.