Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The VR thread

Discussion in 'News & Rumours' started by Pink Cadillac, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Matt N

Matt N Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Something tells me the video won't be quite that smooth when you're actually riding it!

2. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Thats pretty odd that someone has posted the full video - and its also a pretty rubbish video. Not that you'll have any attention on the video as you'll be trying not to break your head by riding that thing 'blind'.

Matt N likes this.
  3. sandgrown

sandgrown Active Member

Best Coaster:
    90s Grand National
    Best Park:
    Ples
    I have been on this too (I live in Madrid these days), and they managed to get the trains out very quickly. I queued for just 10 minutes in the VR queue on a cold day a couple of months ago. The VR was great. The people i went with much preferred it to the non-VR experience. They described it as only an okay coaster previously, but the aforementioned moment where the joker sends you over the edge of a building after gassing you was great. The near misses with a host virtual buildings felt pretty scary, which of course isn't a thrill riders get without the VR. The gripe I had was that the second time i went on, I had to hold onto the glasses the whole way, as they felt like they were going to fly off. A fellow rider complained of a getting banged on the nose with an ill-fitting set too.

I see VR has a bad name on here, and I've no reason to doubt the word of so many aficionados. However, If you end up Madrid way, I can heartily recommend it in this particular instance..

CoasterCrazy and DelPiero like this.
  4. Matt N

Matt N Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
  5. Matt N

Matt N Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    Now that is a budget cut I'd like to see Merlin make!

Howie, ATI and CoasterCrazy like this.
  6. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Matt N likes this.
  7. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Looks like BonBon-Land will also see the VR treatment of a family coaster this year. In a very similar fashion to TusenFryd above (the parks are owned by the same chain), it's the 2009 Zierer coaster Viktor Vandorm that gets the burden of VR. I haven't been able to find a press release, but the news scroll past on the park's home page every now and then: https://www.bonbonland.dk/

jayjay likes this.
  8. jayjay

jayjay Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Kärnan (Hansa Park)
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    You mean they missed the opportunity for a VR dog fart coaster?

9. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Wicker Man
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    I've always wanted the pleasure of a dog virtual farting in my face.

Matt N likes this.
  10. Thrill Riders

Thrill Riders Member

Best Coaster:
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Best Park:
    Disneyland/Phantasia
    Coaster Count:
    VR has to be one of the worst things to spread into the theme park industry... if you want riders to be more immersed in an attraction, get for better theming!

11. Ireeb

Ireeb Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Blue Fire
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    MackMedia, VR Coaster and Holodeck VR are testing a system for free roaming VR in themepark attractions, namely Eurosat Coastiality at Europa-Park, where it will first be installed.
    With this system you put on the VR headset long before you enter the train, I assume it will be used for a preshow as well.

+1 for the original Eurosat music.

(a document on this project in English)

12. Antinos

Antinos Social Media Team Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Dollywood
    Coaster Count:
    Big bump!

Have y'all seen this diving theater VR concept from VR Coaster yet? It looks pretty neat - a much better application for VR than an actual ride if I say so myself.

Scottingtonville and Matt N like this.
  13. Scottingtonville

Scottingtonville New Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    I would agree about this being a better application than a ride simply due to capacity. You could, in theory, have a number of guests getting staged, briefed, and fitted with equipment, while another group is experiencing the attraction. Capacity on this setup would be much better than on a traditional ride/roller coaster.