Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The VR thread

Discussion in 'News & Rumours' started by Pink Cadillac, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Pink Cadillac

Pink Cadillac Well-Known Member

Instead of having a new thread everytime something gets VR, just post it here to keep everything in one place (and so I can keep track :p )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    source

[​IMG]
    source

[​IMG]
    source

[​IMG]
    source

[​IMG]
    source

Lotte World
    Bobbejaanland
    Tivoli gardens
    Post any others too :)

peep and ECG like this.
  2. GuyWithAStick

GuyWithAStick Captain Basic Staff Member Moderator Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Holiday World
    Coaster Count:
    A bunch of SF parks are supposed to switch up their VR, be it ride or experience, so there's that to look forward to.

3. oriolat2

oriolat2 Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Perfect thread to plan which parks to avoid visiting...

Thanks!

Lofty likes this.
  4. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Thing is, some of these coasters will actually be improved in terms of their experiences, not operations.

5. caffeine_demon

caffeine_demon Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    skyrush
    Best Park:
    Europa
    can I suggest a we change the title to something like "which coasters are being funked up this year?"?

6. roomraider

roomraider Best Topic Starter 2016 CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis/Sky Skrapper
    Best Park:
    DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    I have a love hate relationship with VR.
    I can't say that as of yet I've ridden a coaster with VR but i 100% understand why they are so hated.
    However in my house I own an HTC Vive and my housemate owns an Oculus Rift.

Talking for a moment about pure experience point rather than capacity issues.

I love my HTC Vive and gaming with it. The novelty games like Space Pirate Simulator, Emily Wants To Play, Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes and Job Simulator are great fun in groups to a level the Wii never reached. (I've had a few CF'ers over who have played some of those) And the more serious games like EVE Valkyrie, Resident Evil 7, Obduction and GTA VR are some of the most immersive gaming experiences I have ever had.

The thing is those experiences are run by a top of the range and pretty expensive PC. Especially when talking about the more serious games they need some serious processing power. One issue with VR in coasters is they tend to use things like the Samsung Gear which are mobile phone powered so they just cannot push the number of polygons a gaming PC can. And it will be some time until a coaster based rig can do that amount of processing.

secondly and perhaps most importantly what makes VR gaming most amazing is the interaction you have with the virtual world. For example StoneCold could pick up a fire extinguisher in Job Simulator and throw it at his boss just like he has always wanted. VR coasters don't have that level of interactivity and I don't really see how they can. They will forever be just a VR video rather than a VR Experience.

In my option where VR will work best in the public domain is in setups like the forthcoming "The Void" which are interactive and built for the VR setup (see video below). Another half and half video of the Void >here< And look up the ghostbusters Void Experience video as well.

The problem is how do you integrate that at a theme park because capacity is so low. I am not sure you can. As a small scale laser quest thing it could be amazing but as a big attraction I am not so sure.

In conclusion I love VR and it can often be incredible. but I'm not sure it is ready yet for theme parks in its current setup.

7. Lofty

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I've said on this forum for a good year or two that The Void is just HOW you do VR. It's incredible. They actually have produced several attractions so far that have gone under the radar and to be honest, if a park paid them to whack one in, I know I'd be absolutely over the moon with it!

8. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    As Lofty says, I can see the "VOID" type experience working really well. It's basically like laser-quest v2.0, and would be a really cool use of the technology. It would let you experience the same VR world with your friends, something which is currently very difficult to do, and give a lot more flexibility to VR (different settings, different game mechanics, etc). I can really see that becoming popular both in parks and outside. I'd love to give it a go.

The problem with VR is that it's just being used really poorly in parks at the moment. As you rightly say, VR gaming is really quite impressive and has so much going for it, but fundamentally, the point of VR is escapism. It's really just an enhancement to screen technology, and is designed to let you immerse yourself in an 'interesting' environment. I think the argument, which I support, is that when you're at a theme park you're ALREADY IN AN INTERESTING ENVIRONMENT. What's the point in putting on a headset and not actually experiencing any of it? Might as well just stay at home.

This issue is even more pronounced with VR on 'proper' roller coasters (like Superman). Isn't the point of that ride that it's big and high and fast and impressive and a unique experience? Why would you think it's necessary to take all of that away from the rider? I find it a really strange move by the parks - surely they know this?

That doesn't even touch on the issues with operations, which mean it should be ruled out by any self-respecting park who cares about giving guests a good day.

I hate it.

jayjay likes this.
  9. ECG

ECG East Coast(er) General Administrator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Universal Orlando
    Coaster Count:
  10. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    ^I believe so, and it's exactly what I'm like to see more of. Will be really interesting to see how Knotts do with that type of attraction. Lots of potential, and will (hopefully) start the trend of VR being removed from coasters and installed on this kind of attraction.

11. Edward M

Edward M Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Tokyo Disneysea
    Coaster Count:
    Well, a new VR attraction has been announced for Six Flags Over Georgia. "Drop of Doom" will be taking over Acrophobia March 11th for a limited time. It appears to be spider themed with the video having lots of large spiders featured and a few crawling on riders.

Well, I've always understood the potential for VR on a coaster. It could be a very interesting way to do a realistic simulator. I have nothing against that really. However, on a drop tower, I feel it makes no sense. The fear from a drop tower is the height!! I feel you can't see the height then half of the thrill is lost. I just don't see how VR could even work on this ride. It just goes up and then down. Anyway, rant over.

12. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Maybe not all bad news. See 08:00.

(Apologies for the link only, on mobile)

davidm and ECG like this.
  13. ECG

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Universal Orlando
    Coaster Count:
    Wow! Not only is VR being removed from Superman, it's not being put on any other attractions. Way to go Six Flags New England!
    Of course putting VR on your most popular coaster was a bone head move to begin with, but hopefully it won't take long for other parks to follow suite.
    :emoji_grey_exclamation:Please read this Six Flags Mexico:emoji_grey_exclamation:

witchfinder and Temleh like this.
  14. Intricks

Intricks Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    The Voyage
    Best Park:
    Kennywood
    Coaster Count:
    So Six Flags over Georgia announved yesterday that Acrophobia will be recieving the VR experience permanently. Its VR Experience will be themed to Spiders, which sounds cool, but the video they posted on their Facebook page said something about being "100 stories"...so will this be a multiple drop experience instead of the regular Up > Tilt > Drop?

15. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Well-Known Member

I think it's rather that they will use the VR to make it seem like the tower is a lot taller than it really is. After all, your body is able to experience a "lift" and "drop" sensation, but without the eyes to guide, it can't tell how far you're being lifted or dropped. With an appropriately-crafted movie to deceive your eyes, the ride might be able to convince you that you're being lifted 300 metres into the air instead of, say, 60.

16. Lofty

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    For me, the only time to use VR on a drop tower is for a tiny drop - not one that's actually substantial where the point of the height is for visual experience.

For example:

17. DelPiero

DelPiero Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    The removal of VR from Superman is excellent news, shouldn't have been done in the first place but at least they've realised it doesn't work on the top attractions.
    Here's hoping other parks look at the failure and bear it in mind when thinking of adding more VR. If Kraken also fails, then we might be able to knock it on the head altogether.

18. ECG

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Universal Orlando
    Coaster Count:
    Looks like I spoke too soon.:(

Mind Eraser, the park's SLC, is becoming Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster. It will be a combination of AR and VR, with riders "being introduced to the Samsung Gear VR’s passthrough camera functionality, instantly making them aware of their surroundings, by allowing the riders to see the “real world,” including the person seated next to them— along with virtual content. As they get settled into the ride, a heads up display overlay on the passthrough camera view will show data like current status of weaponry, time codes, fuel cells, and a countdown clock. Cresting the lift hill, a massive, swirling wormhole comes into view. As riders drop at high speeds, the mixed reality view changes to a completely immersive, virtual reality environment and a fighter spaceship cockpit materializes and envelops the riders into a tunnel of light. At the bottom of the first hill, riders are launched into the middle of a space battle, coming under attack from flying drones firing lasers and missiles. After swinging through tight channels, narrowly dodging drones and artillery fire, riders are brought into one of three drone bays, each of which offer a completely different gaming experience and three different endings."

[​IMG]

At least the trains are being outfitted with new restraints to make "a more comfortable, smoother and exhilarating ride experience than ever before".

Here's some footage of the VR section of the ride:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  19. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    PortAventura
    Coaster Count:
    Lucasfilm called, they want their B-Wing fighters back... :D

I'm sure this will be horrible in terms of operations but to be fair, the graphics look pretty decent and I do like the idea of an augmented reality experience. Also with it being on a crappy clone it's one of those things you can skip if you don't fancy it, without missing out on a decent ride. I'm heading to SFNE for the first time this year and I'm more excited about that ride now than I was when it was just a standard SLC.

20. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Video of the Gardaland one, named Shaman.