What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

sandgrown

Mega Poster
They will do next to **** all landscaping. It's the Ples. They don't give a toss about that usually, so a big surprise if they suddenly go all pretty now.

The budget for Icon will look like this.

1. Roller-coaster track - 15.9 million pounds
2. Station - 90 thousand pounds
3. Promotional flyers to be handed out on South Promenade - 9990 pounds.
4. Wages for someone to hand out flyers - 10 pounds.

And that's it.

The ride will have to stand and fall on its inherent qualities. If being a Mack multi-launcher with some random acronyms I don't understand is as good as you nerds say it is, it might just be ace. Otherwise, we've got what looks a bit like a slightly bigger Tokyado Express.

I'd be happy if they just brought back the Lion bins that roared when you chucked a Marathon wrapper in them, never mind the Mouse. If Icon is a letdown, there could be a very long wait for anything else and it's going to make me feel pretty sad.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Taken from Blackpool Gazette:

Managing Director Amanda Thompson hinted at an Asian influence for the attraction last month when she hinted she wanted a garden of tranquility included in the final plans.

Obviously whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but she's obviously brought it up in the media so let's hope it gets a bit of aesthetic love.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I like the 'garden of tranquility" idea. I hope they do it. Some acers, pretty stones and nice places to sit and watch the coasters. Maybe I'm getting too carried away (and optimistic) here.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
They will do next to :emoji_zipper_mouth: all landscaping. It's the Ples. They don't give a toss about that usually, so a big surprise if they suddenly go all pretty now.

The budget for Icon will look like this.

1. Roller-coaster track - 15.9 million pounds
2. Station - 90 thousand pounds
3. Promotional flyers to be handed out on South Promenade - 9990 pounds.
4. Wages for someone to hand out flyers - 10 pounds.

And that's it.

The ride will have to stand and fall on its inherent qualities. If being a Mack multi-launcher with some random acronyms I don't understand is as good as you nerds say it is, it might just be ace. Otherwise, we've got what looks a bit like a slightly bigger Tokyado Express.

I'd be happy if they just brought back the Lion bins that roared when you chucked a Marathon wrapper in them, never mind the Mouse. If Icon is a letdown, there could be a very long wait for anything else and it's going to make me feel pretty sad.

It'll be good. Of anything they could have built, this is probably the best (read most sensible) choice. Mack are a great manufacturer and this is new, smooth, tech. The only concern with the 'non-nerds' is that it might not have a grab-your-balls exciting enough gimmick. I always compare coasters to wine and Mack are often more of a connoisseur's drink than a big night out Lambrini.

Amazed you're still here. You should come along to opening day and see if you can spot the nerds. Shouldn't be hard.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I like the 'garden of tranquility" idea. I hope they do it. Some acers, pretty stones and nice places to sit and watch the coasters. Maybe I'm getting too carried away (and optimistic) here.

Well, what we do know is Mandy loves her water features! Surely this is better chance than ever to go to town on her B&Q fantasy. ;)

Dar

Hyper Poster
Herseypark, why does Great Bear have that weird support?
"Why it's to avoid placing supports in the protected creek!"

Six Flags Great Adventure, why does nitro have those weird supports?
"Why it's to avoid placing supports in a protected area!"

Blackpool, why does ICON have that weird support?
"Why it's to avoid an SLC!"
7cXKLLu8TQq2MWYxkHHRaQ.png

I'm loving the supporting on this, it's positively artistic

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Taken from Blackpool Gazette:

"Managing Director Amanda Thompson hinted at an Asian influence for the attraction last month when she hinted she wanted a garden of tranquility included in the final plans."

Obviously whether that happens or not remains to be seen, but she's obviously brought it up in the media so let's hope it gets a bit of aesthetic love.
It'll be right next to the Garden of Discarded Chip Wrappers

Dar

Hyper Poster
Doesn't look like it from the aerial pic earlier, one of the supports even jogs a bit to the side to accommodate the train