What's new

Alton Towers ride closures

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
The Blade news is quite old IIRC. Think it was brought up in the SW9 thread.

Thing is, I don't think Blade is included in the list of rides to be shut next year. I am really hoping this isn't true, but it would certainly make sense. As mentioned Flume and Ripsaw are at the end of their lives, so it's hardly surprising to see them go, but doing it in the same year is nonsensical. Sub Terra, I understand is having a ton of issues at the moment, so closing it for the year would make sense. Charlie the IP has ran out I hear, but hex and driving school?! I have no idea why hex is closed. It's a fab ride, and I don't see why they'd close it.

Dave

CF Legend
It could easily be that with The Smiler accident occurring AT know that the inspections for the rides will be under scrutiny more than ever. It may result in expensive maintenance/repairs that are not deemed necessary to pay for on how 'popular' they deem the rides. Think reading about cuts to the budgets as well is probably another nail in the coffin too.

Dave

CF Legend
It could easily be that with The Smiler accident occurring AT know that the inspections for the rides will be under scrutiny more than ever. It may result in expensive maintenance/repairs that are not deemed necessary to pay for on how 'popular' they deem the rides. Think reading about cuts to the budgets as well is probably another nail in the coffin too.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
When will we find out for sure? When they bring out the new map? When does that happen anyone know?

Wonder whether the smiler will be added to the list of closed rides.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Frankly, I just don't believe it.
I mean, really? SIX ride closures? For a whole year?? No. Just no. What a catastrophically bad business idea that would be. Not even Merlin would be that reckless.
Would they??
I know it's come from a 'trusted source' and that Towers Street isn't prone to sharing unsubstantiated rumours... but.... y'know? Just no.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Towers have confirmed they are just rumours on facebook. Find it strange that a 'fan' site would post something like that causing a lot of trouble for the park in social media, just need to look at the parks Facebook to see all the questions they are getting asked about these rumours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
^Well, they haven't confirmed they're rumours they've said they're working on plans.

That's literally as non-committal as it gets.

I don't think we'll see them ALL closed (Hex I think they'll keep open) but I imagine we will see some ride closures next year.

If they were just rumours they'd be saying as much - their response to me is from a PR department that knows something is coming that will piss people off.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'll be curious to see how many more chances they give The Smiler when it reopens. What will they do if there are more reports of wheels and bolts falling off or cracks in the supports? Will they just say "Everythings fine now, we sorted it" or will they take more action? The Smiler is prey and the press will pounce on it at the slightest slip up, letting the whole nation know.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Ben said:
^Well, they haven't confirmed they're rumours they've said they're working on plans.

That's literally as non-committal as it gets.

I don't think we'll see them ALL closed (Hex I think they'll keep open) but I imagine we will see some ride closures next year.

If they were just rumours they'd be saying as much - their response to me is from a PR department that knows something is coming that will piss people off.
On Facebook some asked about the rumours and their reply was, "that's all they are".

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
How likely are these rumours?

Flume - A closure has been floating about for years so this is nothing new. The flume at Thorpe Park has also had a bit of downtime this year so I wouldn't be surprised if both Thorpe and Alton's flumes are spited. 70% chance.

Hex - I can't see this closing. It's one of the "hidden" gems at Alton Towers and surely the running costs are not that high compared to the rides. It only needs three members of staff to run. Maybe because it's tucked away it's not that popular? The problem with Hex is nobody knows what it is. It's not obvious from looking at the building so I guess a lot of people skip it. 20&% chance.

Ripsaw - Out of all of these rumours, this is one I care the least about. It never has a long queue and is only a filler attraction. Would anybody really care if it went? Nah. 80% chance.

Sub Terra - This has also been closed for most of the 2015 season. I imagine it costs a fair amount to run with actors and what not. They could spite it and I don;t think anybody would care. 80% chance.

C&TCF - This ride is tired, as is the IP. With most families heading to CBBC Land and the other kids area, why bother having this out on a limb? 60% chance.

If these rumours are true - and they are only rumours, lets not forget that - then it would be a blow to AT. Why market yourself as the UK's Number 1 theme park resort and then close several family friendly attractions? We all know AT had a rough 2015 with the accident, rumoured low gate numbers and the recently announced 190 job losses, but I hate to see commercial decisions taking precedence over the entertainment experience. But Alton Towers is a business and for as long as they have share holders to satisfy, they commercial activities will always take precedence over our enjoyment.

I guess we won't know until February 2016ish.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It's all hearsay at the moment, so I'll wait to see what actaully happens. The only one of those I'd be really disappointed in seeing shut for the year is Hex, which is the best non-coaster ride in the park bar none. Sub Terra is good fun, but I'd take a ride on Nemesis over that any day of the week.

Ripsaw can now be a parts donor for Rameses Revenge, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is now looking pretty weak. The branding of that ride has received little to no attention since the opening year, and it wouldn't result in people leaving flowers if it closed.

As for the Flume, that needs a lot of love, or ripping down and redoing. Either way, now that the bathtime novelty has worn off, it's as good a time as any to give it the attention/demolition it deserves. Putting two and two togther, if Thorpe Park are shutting Loggers Leap for 2016, you'd like to think that Merlin's crack team of accountants are getting them both done up at the same time to save a few pennies. Both parks have high capacity alternatives which would suffice in the interim.

The fact that almost all of those rides cater for families and their overall value is gonna be a key factor in deciding if they open again or not.
The next year could give the park a chance to refocus and bring some of the sparkle, gloss and reputation back, which is perfectly doable without C&TCF, Ripsaw, Sub Terra, and the Flume. But in reality we all know this just won't happen while Merlin are running it.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Hex has been having trouble parking for a while now, Vekoma have been in and even they don't know what's up with it!

Robbie

Hyper Poster
silenthillXD said:
Charlie the IP has ran out I hear
Seems odd they don't have the licence for the Roald Dahl Centenary, when there are hundreds of events planned and several dozen new licensees coming on board for low rates.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I appreciate they've gotta recoup losses somewhere, what I worry about is classic "WTF Merlin" decision making.

I already expressed my opinion on closing Loggers Leap at Thorpe for 2016 in the WC16 thread. Alton's Flume is less problematic in my opinion, because unlike Loggers, it's not the park's only family ride... I never go on Alton's Flume, because the boat shape makes it too damn wet and why would I go all that way to ride a mediocre log flume in a country perpetually shadowed by miserable cloud... So I have no perception of the real void it would leave if closed, short or long term, but logic dictates "at least Alton has other stuff for families to do".

I'd say the one that "baffles" me is Hex, but actually it doesn't confuse me at all, because there's a reason we have that "WTF Merlin" topic here... It's so common for someone here to predict exactly how terribly some decision made by Merlin as a whole or by one of their attractions, usually in PR terms, is going to turn out. A few years ago, I would have said any of us criticising couldn't run these places better ourselves, but now I'm not so sure. And I hear from people within how there is no window to challenge stupid decision making. Why do they make the same mistakes over and over and over?

Closing Hex would be a PR disaster for Alton.

But I would not be surprised if it turns out to be true and they do it, because for some reason, they still can't grasp that keeping fans happy is really important in this age of social media. It'll be like when Alton announced they were closing at 4.

I'd argue that the only ride at Alton which would cause more of a poopstorm on social media if closed would be Nemesis.

Sub Terra deserves a mention, because there's something utterly brilliant about one of their newest rides being on the potential close to save money list. It just goes to show that adding the wrong kind of attraction, however much money you throw at the project, is not enough to keep attendance up. It's an important lesson they will forget instantly, one they probably already forgot, we'll see next year at Thorpe.

Forgetting all this, there's the fact that closing rides to save money is going to do continued long term damage. It just looks like poor form, makes people question whether they are also closed for H&S concerns or to save money. Even those who don't pay the gate price, who came with bogofs, think they are special and are getting a massive discount... They are still aware, they still perceive it as an expensive day out. So when **** closed, it comes across as money grabbing, because it probably is.

Yes, Merlin have shareholders to please - a decreased profit matters, but if they want to turn that around they've got to be real careful. They cannot keep going thinking that they are the industry leaders in this country so it doesn't matter. On that note, I hope that places like Flamingoland use this time to lay down some serious competition, but I won't hold my breath for sense.

spicy

Giga Poster
If this does happen to be true, if anything it is just such a negative way of operating the business.
At a time when Merlin should be reassuring customers that safety is their priority and that the upmost has been done to ensure that an incident will never happen again at one of their theme parks, they make drastic cuts at the company’s flagship park? What sort of message does that portray? The complete opposite!

Attendances will continue to be low at Alton with further complaints on social media and in park therefore prolonging the whole smiler saga.

Rather than confront the problem head on to attract people back into the park this is Merlin burying their head in the sand, cutting budgets and saving money whilst the storm passes overhead.

The most annoying thing is that they will get away with it as attendances will undoubtedly eventually recover as there is a lack of competition in the UK theme park industry.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So Ripsaw and Flume have something being done to them:

Pictures from Towers Times:

rPiT6Ev.jpg

lB66Vdz.jpg

x3cXBpF.jpg