What's new

Alton Towers ride closures

Dar

Hyper Poster
TowersStreet are reporting that "Nemesis Sub-Terra, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Driving School, Hex, The Flume and Ripsaw" will all be closed next season with The Flume and Ripsaw being removed entirely.

https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet/posts/959185507485227

Of course, as is normal for Merlin, there will probably be some kind of U-turn on this but it seems very drastic that they are even considering this. Even less value for the entrance money.

What do you think?

All hail European parks!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Wow... Just wow... Merlin have reached a new low. This will not help them one bit. They need to draw in more people, not drive them away.

I do understand removing The Flume and Ripsaw, as neither offer a satisfactory ride experience at the moment, but removing both at the same time?! It's shocking to be honest and just proves their crisis management team needs to be fired. It would appear they had no plan for a rainy day and had to react with all these cuts.

Will it help them? Nope. Having that many rides removed from the line-up will severely hinder them next year. I guess we can just hope The Smiler will be back up and running for opening.

TilenB

Strata Poster
From one of the best parks in Europe to European equivalent of Hopi Hari (e.g. a hugely popular park with 50% of the rides being down). What all can some bad publicity do.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
This is quite possibly, the most ridiculous thing Merlin have done so far. Ok, closing the Flume and possibly Ripsaw I can get, but Hex and Sub-Terra? Not of mention one of those is a £4m ride that only opened 4 years ago.

^And to be honest, Merlin have always been this silly (Thirteen got reduced opening times the year it opened), but yeah the accident has clearly led to some rather drastic decisions.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That seems like a lot of flat rides to be removing at once. Unfortunate they could not get in front of the game, and have replacement rides ready to slot in their place if indeed this many rides are to be removed/SBNO. These things can be planned out over a number of years afterall.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not gonna jump in to slate them until it's confirmed tbh, and evn then it depends on their reasons.

If it's about saving money, then that's shoddy. Aye they'll have identified the rides that cost the most/attract the least riders but it's still a big amount to be removing and it also sends out a bad signal to visitors who'll be nitpicking everything next season and probably for the seasons to come.

Could this even be safety related? Ripsaw and Flume's lifespan may just have been shortened hastily following the Smiler accident as those in suits at the top are less likely to take any chances.

Zac

Roller Poster
Spreading unconfirmed rumours is hardly going to make the situation any better, I think people should just wait until these things are actually confirmed before going on a rant at merlin.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I agree about not speculating too early. However if it does happen, think how miserable it'll be with so many rides SBNO.. It'll totally ruin the atmosphere

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Again, not going to fully rant as nothing is confirmed, but if true, this is really bad.

And I though Six Flags was bad.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Well, I'll second the thoughts hoping this isn't true.
Ripsaw and the flume I can completely understand, so long as they replace them, as they truly were a long time coming. However, Hex, Sub-Terra and Charlie and the Chocolate Family? I mean, that's basically all their indoor attractions isn't it? What would happen if, oh I don't know, it rained perhaps, like it always does in the UK? Surely that's entirely illogical...and unlikely.

Quite frankly, it looks like this is just austerity really. And living in the UK, we all know how much that works...plus the media will inevitably say 'Alton Towers closes 6 major attractions, two permanently, due to rising safety concerns and whatnot'

Merlin can go stuff their short-term profit- they have a long term reputation to maintain. So they need to concentrate on improving guest experience...rather than lowering it. Extend open hours, put on more summer events, make a few much needed capital investments! Of course we don't entirely know what's happening with air, but whatever it is, it'll probably be a bit of a gimmick. Air is fine - why not build a new flat ride that the park is absolutely desperate for...?

Given the obscene amount of profit Merlin should be making worldwide, they should really be able to finance it, even if they are busy blowing it all on opening up entirely, but completely out of date new experiences (Cough Shrek Cough). So for that reason, let's hope it's not true.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Do you mean SW8? That thought crossed my mind too, both rides are in the general area rumoured for a new coaster. I'm trying to be optimistic!

Closing Hex and Sub Terra though <//3 looks like 2016 will be another year I give Alton a miss.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Hi Timothy, As the 2015 season has recently ended we are still working on plans for our 2016 season. Watch this space for announcements about fantastic new experiences and exciting new developments planned for the near future!

Their PR team isn't filling me with much faith at the moment...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I'm sick of watching Merlin's **** space, shrouding everything in secrecy until the last minute. Rant over :lol:

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Poor decision by AT - after what happened, they want to get people back in the park, not putting them off. Imagine walking round a park and seeing over five rides SBNO. And I presume if this is for cost cutting, the prices to get in wont be lowered.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Could there be a connection with the closure of Ripsaw and the Flume, to SW7?

The highlighted area where the coaster is supposed to be is at the north of Forbidden Valley, near the arcade, which is also near to the Flume site. So I think it's entirely possible that the Flume is being removed to make room for at least part of SW8's layout.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
At least there are still over 49 rides and attractions ;)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster
TST are also now saying that the Pirate Show won't be returning next season either, with a lot of the job cuts announced being technical staff

In other news, Taron is looking great and I can't wait to see what the new Ireland area at EP looks like next season!