What's new

Your first Drop Tower experience

my first was tower of terror, but i only remember riding that in 2010, i was too little to remember the first time i rode it.

First drop tower i remember was the drop side of power tower at CP. haha I think i might have actually pissed myself. The scariest part was when it clicked in at the top, i had such a death grip that my fingers turned white.

Demon Drop at either SFOT, SFOG, or both. They both kinda blend together for me. I think both parks had one but I'm not 100%. After that it was Drop Zone at King's Dominion. That thing screwed me up good the first time I rode it. I swear I thought I was having a heart attack. I'm fine with it if I have a few margaritas before I get on it. :p

Dalton Terror in Walibi Belgium! I remember that we missed our 8 AM train to Walibi Belgium that day and arrived one hour after park opening. So when we got out of the train we had a perfect view on this massive yellow tower. At the moment I saw the drop from 500 meters away, I felt like I wanted to ride it, but also felt nervous because I knew it would be a scary experience. It took us about a whole day before we agreed to ride it. And the biggest surprise to me was that I actually dindn't care that much about drop towers. Don't know why, but it is mostly one of the rides I skip during visits because I'm not that interested in them.

robbeal said:
My first drop tower experience was Apocalypse at Drayton Manor, about two days after my first CFLive, with Tom, and I was bricking it! I was still at the stage of not wanting to open my eyes on Nemesis, and I was going on this tower-thing. I've never been brilliant with heights, and especially when i'm quite exposed, so going on the stand-up floorless side of Apocalypse was pretty scary, even afterwards!

I remember you bricking it quite badly!

Apocaylpse was my first drop tower, I only did the sit-down side as the stand up tower had a huge queue, and I was terrified! But I loved it after the first time and did again a few times afterwards.

Favourite ones I've been on are pretty much all the Intamin ones, except Huracan Condor, which manages to be rubbish because you don't pick what side you go on, and it tilts way too late on the stand up side. Detonator is also great, but the S&S towers aren't that good. The shorter ones are better, like the Space Shot which used to be at Southport.

I hate them. First experience was Bounce at Oakwood in about 2000/2001. Shat myself sitting with Mr Clam. I hate the air you get shot towers, drop towers I don't find too bad, apart from Det and its ilk, because essentially they give that same shot tower air.

Though I'm not a fan of drop towers particularly, because I hate heights. Then I did Condor and now I find them dull. I don't get scared any more and I find the drops do nothing for me. Stand up on Apocalypse used to be my major "OMG FEAR!" ride, but the last time I rode it, I was actually really bored - once I'd conquered the fear, I found it dull.

Tomatron said:
but the S&S towers aren't that good.

Do you remember at a Blackpool Live many years back Tom? I was sitting next to you on Ice Blast (and Mr Clam was with us too); we were deep in conversation as the ride launched and we just carried on talking and utterly ignored the ride.

The on ride photo was excellent, as it showed us looking like we were having a pleasant chat over a cuppa, and Mr Clam was hanging on for dear life and screaming his head off in utter terror. Should have bought that ORP, it was fantastic :lol:

Yeah, shows how **** the S&S ones are.

I prefer getting shot up rather than "Drop Towers", the most forcefull (or feels like it) i've been on is the old Troc drop tower now at Hayling Island, Hampshire..

I saw plans for 2 x "Detonators" at Thorpe Park, wonder why they only installed one.

My first drop tower was Dalton Terror. Best (thrill)ride of Belgium if you ask me, it still gets me scared every time.

The best "real" drop tower for me is Scream (heidepark). It is if you ask me the most impressing ride of Europe, if not the whole world- the theming is sober but just perfect.

The best "freefall ride" that I rode already however, is the sky tower in Tivoli Friheden. I don't believe I will be so afraid in my live again. The fall and airtime is to perfect. I will never have the guts to ride it again, but I'm proud I managed to do so one time.

Its Hurakan Condor for me....

I don’t usually get any fear, just a buzz of anticipation with coasters but Drop towers scare the crap out of me, especially Hurakan Condor

Although I think much of that fear with it in particular came from the first time I rode it and ended up on the side with the bottomless seats - which conveniently try to castrate you on the way down....so it was 30% fear, 70% pain!

The first one I ever went on was Demon Drop at Cedar Point, and hated it. didn't do any drop towers at all until about a year and a half ago, and decided to try Superman Tower of Power at my home park SFSTL, and loved it! now I look forward to drop towers..

First was Space Vertigo.. In the queue line I couldn't see the tower because I wanted to exit. I am scaried of drop towers and I'm afraid of heights..

I was at Kings Dominion at Halloween Haunt with my dad and my friend, and we knew it would be our last time at KD, and i loved roller coasters but was terrified of drop towers. So i told myself that because it was our last trip of the season, i should muster up the guts to ride it. The one at kings dominion is one of the tallest drops in the world. I was really inimidated. Both my dad and friend didn't want to ride it, so i left them both to ride it. I waited in an hour line. I regret my choice now for leaving them...Anyway i rode it and was really nervous and finally rode it. I laughed when i got out of it. Not for joy, but becuz i wasn't dead. I like them now and will ride them, but i still feel bad for leaving my friend and dad for a ride and will never do that again at a park! That was 2 years ago.

Me and drop towers have a poor history.

Chickened out of Apocolypse a few times. Not to the extent that I queued and backed out, just never really wanted to go on it.

Went to PA and right up until joining the queue I was going to go on Condor. Then I really did pussy out and chose not to (tbf, all I could think of at the time was my feet being ripped off by a cable), and we didn't go back close to getting on it.

At Flamingo Land the following year, I went on their shot/drop tower. That was my first real experience (ignoring the awesomeness that is frog hoppers), and whilst I enjoyed the shot the drop bit was horrible.

Other than that, it's the shot tower at Blackpool, but given it has no drop feature and was just the launch, it probably doesn't really count.

Hurakan condor at portaventura. Quite a nice way to start. I didn't really know what to expect back then but I wasn't really nervous 'cause I've never been afraid of heights. It turned out to be very cool and I wandered how I'd never tried one before.

Drop towers really aren't my thing as I found out and it really didn't help that Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios Florida was my first with the whole build up. I came off it looking pale and feeling like my stomach had been ripped out haha.

The only other one I've done is the old Space Shot when it was at Pleasureland and I didn't like that either although it wasn't as bad as Tower of Terror imo.

My 1st drop tower was "Demon Drop" at Cedar Point in 2000, the most intense one for its size is at "Hayling Island", went on it once and came off shaking and had white knuckles. i'm going to Portaventura in July but will not go on "Hurakan Condor", I get my rush with coasters..