What's new

Your favorite underrated ride(s)?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Snoo about Boardwalk Bullet and Cornballer, as well as all those who mentioned Viper at SFGAmerica. I'll also mention El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn and Thunderbird at PowerLand. Then there's that #5 spot in my Top Ten!
On the steel side of things I think Superman Krypton Coaster a SFFT and Superman la Atracción de Acero at Parque Warner Madrid never seem to get mentioned enough. Montu at BGT and Afterburn at Carowinds are often overlooked in spite of being almost as intense as Nemesis. I also think Aftershock at Silverwood is overlooked, perhaps because of the park's location, but it is a great ride and much better than Goliath at SFNE.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Voodoo at Dorney perks interest for all Intamin Impulse coasters. While they seemed gimmicky at the time, they have withstood the test of time, and I would say still give a great ride. WT is still the most underrated roller coaster at CP IMO.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've never heard a massive amount of love for Space Mountain Mission 2 (Paris). For me, it's the perfect example of how to turn a decent layout into an amazing ride mostly just by being indoors with lots of scenery flying around. Plus, I'm a sucker for coasters with launches.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Wild Eagle - Dollywood: This ride is so great, I don't get the hate. (see what i did there)

Space Mountain (both sides) - Magic Kingdom: Seriously guys, the airtime and laterals on this is freaking scary. No joke.

Tennessee Tornado - Dollywood: Not the best coaster ever, but still a surprisingly intense ride. If you ride near the front the airtime on the hill into the brakes is CRAZY!

Hungarian Horntail: Chinese Fireball is probably where it stands, but this side is a lot better and never really lets up. Love the themeing too.

Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit: Freaking awesome coaster, I love the music (I know some of it is crap but if you know the hidden songs it's better). About the restraints, I thought the restraints where BETTER than I expected!

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Batman is an obvious choice for me. Most people like it, but I absolutely love it, and rank it above a couple of well-liked inverts (Afterburn and Montu).

I found Intimidator's airtime to be quite good, although most seem to consider it sub-par.

Rip Ride Rockit is usually considered pretty crap, but I really enjoyed it (although I've heard many complaints about the restraints, which I didn't have a problem with. That's probably a major factor).

Impulses (I've ridden Possessed and Wicked Twister) are really fun and interesting rides that don't get mentioned all that often.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Fujiyama.

It's really popular with park visitors, but gets rated really low by a lot of enthusiasts and never does very well in the polls. I put it largely down to it being in a park that is extremely unpopular with a certain coaster group. It's actually a fantastic ride.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Chris Coasters said:
Wild Eagle - Dollywood
Hydra, Steel Force - Dorney Park
Batman: The Dark Knight, Thunderbolt - Six Flags New England
Superman: Ultimate Flight - Six Flags Great Adventure
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida
Steeplechase - Scream Zone
Exterminator - Kennywood
Iron Dragon - Cedar Point
Comet and Sooperdooperlooper - Hersheypark
Gatekeeper - Cedar Point
and after 22 rides on it how can i not say Skull Mountain <3

This is probably just more along the lines of rides I liked that people find bad or just mehh.

I can probably add to this list.

Thunderbolt - SFNE
Back Lot Stunt Coaster- Kings Dominion
Verbolten - BGW
Hurler - Kings Dominion
Excalibur - Funtown Splashtown USA
Pandemonium - SFNE
Yankee Cannonball - Canobie
Wildcat- Hersheypark
Anaconda - Kings Dominion

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I put them on because I really love them. I' have seen a lot of people who don't like Verbolten, however it is in my top 10 Steel. Yankee Cannonball has tons of sentimental value to me and its one of my favorite classic woodies. It isn't that people don't like it it's I think its amazing.

BBH

Giga Poster
CanobieFanatic said:
Batman at Six Flags New England. It's pretty forceful for a floorless, and it's hated by a lot of enthusiasts.
I've not seen a lot of hate for it, but it's certainly not praised all that much.

CanobieFanatic

Roller Poster
Chris Coasters said:
I put them on because I really love them. I' have seen a lot of people who don't like Verbolten, however it is in my top 10 Steel. Yankee Cannonball has tons of sentimental value to me and its one of my favorite classic woodies. It isn't that people don't like it it's I think its amazing.

I have to agree. While they aren't all that popular, they receive more like than hate, but they are tremendous.

gforce

Roller Poster
I really just like the speed and g-force of Formula Rossa. It is extremely intense and I think the main reason it isn't highly acclaimed outside of the GP is because not a lot of people have ridden it.

Dinoconda as well is basically Eejanaika but with good themeing. Love that coaster.

VF15

Roller Poster
Wild Thing at Valleyfair seems to be a hypercoaster that most enthusiasts don't like, but I think it's a lot of fun. It's second hill gives some great floater airtime, and the figure-8 section has some pretty good positive G-forces. I just wish the mid-course from brakes weren't so strong.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Have to say I really enjoyed thundercoaster - I gather it had improved from the early rides when I wasn't there (thanks to the big train delay!), but I actually preferred it to balder.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Stampida at PortAventura. Once you get over the roughness, its an absolutely insane experience with a blistering sense of speed. And leave enough slack for the lapbar; it has some of the craziest moments of ejector I can actually recall.

Not to mention the amazing night-rides and nonstop head-chopper. Stampida is a great coaster.