What's new

Your Earliest Theme Park Memory

Watching my dad and cousin ride Demon Drop when I was being pulled around in my glam green wagon at the ripe old age of 3. I also remember the same year watching my dad and uncle ride what was then Top Gun at Wonderland.

Will

Strata Poster
I got to do a fair amount of the Alton flats in the mid-late nineties after they were relocated - my Grandma lives around an hour from Cleethorpes, so I'd get her to take me to Pleasure Island at least once if I went to stay with her.

Never rode four man bob though sadly - and I gather that lived at my local garden centre for a season or two!

As I often say though - at the time I attended my first CF-Live, I'd only actually been to THREE theme parks!

Will

Strata Poster
September 1997

Most of the clan ride the Teacups. Will faces away from camera.
273440325_354040813206341_3506678497129264528_n.jpg

*awaits 'hilarious' comments about how I wasn't bald when I was 9...*

****. Realisation that Dad in that picture is 3 years older than I am now. ****. ****. ****.

Growing up in the north of Scotland my eariest theme park experiences came from family caravan trips down to Yorkshire, with lightwater valley one year, and Flamingo land the next. My main memory from lightwater is of the toy radio controled boats and the wonky bikes that had an offset wheel. Flamingo Land is a stronger memory though, and Judging from the shell suit I'm wearing in these photos, and the fact that riding Thunder Mountain with my sister was one of the more vivid memories I have, I have to place this in the very early 90s,

shelly.jpgshelly2.jpg

The sunglasses may look cool, but for the extra cool factor, I actually think they were clip-ons for my regular glasses that you could flip up when it wasn't sunny or you were indoors (I wear contat lenses now).

Some 20+ years or so later I'd return to flamingo land with my sister and she'd scream her head off on Velocity, turns out loving roller coasters isn't a genetic thing. (She later told me that back in the day, she only rode Thunder Mountain because I did! and didn't want to be chicken!)

Some 25 or so years later I'd also travel to mexico and finally ride the bullet, which I was either too small or too scared to ride as a kid all those years ago.

I still have a soft spot for Flamingo Land.