What's new

Yorkshire Tripper III Trip Reports!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Yeah, the Kumali ride-ops. One of them let people through the gate and let one more person through than there were seats (i.e. me) and instead of calling me back and admitting his mistake, he decided "let's see how long it takes him to realise." At least there were people to wait with for the next train and I got front row, but still...

Right, enough angst. First Lightwater.

Highlights

-Throughout the entire day, Simon the marketing guy's efforts. Very enthusiastic, got to know people and really participated. But most of all, getting perks out of the park. We all got a discount at the Granary (nice restaurant just outside the gates, way better than the crap served in the park) and a magician turned up to entertain us for a few minutes before the Twister. It's stuff like this and the general friendliness of the park* that makes me think that Lightwater Valley is one of the country's top parks in terms of caring for its customers.
- ERT on't Ultimate. It took one or two goes round to start warming up, and it was as good as it's always been. Frighteningly fast and my body is still aching.
- CoasterForce sports day. I didn't participate, but it was great fun watching. I've got it all on video, so I'll almost definitely do a video of that later along with the general music video.
- Tim's trollfaces. Pity the ones we put up on the Ultimate got taken.
- Paul the Magician's show. Also, Joey can't shuffle cards.
- Whirlwind. I was told it was on a more intense cycle this year. Whoever said that was correct. Absolutely fantastic ride.
- Raptor Attack, which despite being a fairly basic roller coaster, is really quite good. Interesting fact courtesy of Simon: the switch for turning on the lights in the queueline is rather stupidly put downstairs. But the banging door and sound effects are always turned on. Simon apparently once had to retrieve something from the station with just the light from his mobile phone. Horror ensued.

Overall, it was a great day, and it reminded me of why I really love Lightwater Valley. It's quirky, it's friendly and it looks like it's got a bright future. Skeleton Cove may just have been a collection of fair style rides, but the point is it's had visible effort put in.

* We'll just ignore the terrifying Eagle's claw operator. Don't take his broom.

Flamingoland

It's certainly not Lightwater Valley, but we still had a good day.

Highlights:

- Velocity is still my favourite coaster at the park. I'd say based on today's ride it almost (but not quite) tops Rita.
- The treasure hunt quiz. "Get an exit stamp and put it in the box before the ink dries." But Ian, there are definitely more than 5 blades of grass at Flamingoland.
- Cliffhanger. Just a shame they were only running the drop.
- Carvery. Surprisingly nice for Flamingoland. Why have I never been to the pub before?
- Bongo Warriors!
- Richard shouting at the Gator cred operator to let us on (he failed)
- Strange kiddie ghost-train of weirdness. What?

Like MouseAT, I think the only reason I enjoyed the day was because it was with CF. Flamingoland has some good rides (not Zooom... eugh - it seems way overengineered for what it is too) but it's badly run with ride-ops that don't seem to care. You almost don't feel welcome.

Still, nice to catch up with people, meet new people and all that. Unfortunately, I can't do Ghosterforce, so I'll see you all next year, or possibly in London at Christmas.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Sounds like you lot had a good weekend, even though FL didn't seem to have the best operations. Both parks looked as I Predicted. EMPTY.

tks

Strata Poster
Omg Raptor Attack is the BEST RIDE EVER. I actually screamed in terror on it at the dinosaurs.. And the banging door had me and Maddie running for our lives <3333 Such a fab ride. It **** ALLLLLL over X:|nowayout.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Have a couple of our camping photos... :roll:

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
...and here's my quiz sheet:

Quiz1.jpg

Quiz2.jpg

Includes Neal stepping on a duck and blowing up a frog with a bicycle pump, me scanning fish in a supermarket, and Richard yelling at prostitutes in Barcelona! As you do...

Dave

CF Legend
Trip report? Sure thing!

So after a cretinous long journey from Eastleigh to Bradford with a short stop to pick up Rebel in Oxford we settled at the Mushroom household. After a wretched sleep we awoke to visit Lightwater Valley and the prospect of ERT on the Ultimate!
315646_10150820611330381_560120380_20866538_1937025989_n.jpg

Rainbow!
After picking up Baz at Leeds (which looks like a great city!) we were on our way, quick journey in the Prius and we arrived, shame I cocked up our grand camp entrance! But I think we were the first to arrive?
300166_10150820780210381_560120380_20867728_34318521_n.jpg

The last time those were seen!

After a few more cars arrived the umbrella's were out in force to combat the inconsistent rain;
314473_10150820780450381_560120380_20867730_482051988_n.jpg

We were soon ushered into the park entrance area to be greeted by Simon, once again the rain came down, and UmbrellaForce continued;
294264_10150820781045381_560120380_20867735_379489573_n.jpg

We faffed around getting our tickets sorted out, with Nic efficiently organising everyone into groups of 6 to buy tickets, Simon grabbed more umbrella's from 'narnia' and we were off to t'Ulimate! After a Sue Stop (toilet that is) we piled into the dry station to wait for the train to return on it's long lap of the track. First ride I sat nearer the back (not the back as it was closed), after much faffage with the camera's we were off for the first ride, up the lift hill we went, bracing for pain and pleasure we stopped at the crest of the lift hill, assuming this was some prank we all laughed. Looking back towards the station and seeing 3 of the staff walking towards the lift hill it was apparent something wasn't right, could we be evacuated from our ERT session? Nope, the track was too cold it appeared, so after a few minutes of waiting we were given the all clear and off we went! Down the first drop I had this horrible Final Destination-esque vision of the mounted camera flying off and hitting me in the face, don't think I was alone in that respect! It was definatley a slower ride, as it was quite tame, still knocked the knees about, but not as violently as last time.

After more rides it got faster and faster and more violent, back to why we love it so much, but as the engineer said "it gets faster and better as the day goes on!" On the 4th and final ride the camera was so strapped down I'm sure we must of taken their supply of gaffer tape for the day! Afterwards we all came off somewhat bruised and bumped and awake. Rain persisted once more, umbrella's came out in force once more, some went off to ride Whirlwind the new Top Scan situated between Ultimate and Raptor Attack, for somewhat vulgar fairground look I think it fills a big void between the two and adds a good quality flat to the park, hopefully with time it'll get painted/themed. Looks good in a picture;
313745_10150820781495381_560120380_20867739_573180328_n.jpg

After this we did the Skate Carts while it was not raining, which several members gleefully ran off to do, I nearly did, but coffee won the battle. Some pictures of those that chose to race;
308704_10150820781740381_560120380_20867742_1323531250_n.jpg

Fraser falling off and Neal bearing down on a small child

294135_10150820781910381_560120380_20867744_469892039_n.jpg

Tense finish here!

301327_10150820782160381_560120380_20867748_1452945286_n.jpg

Forever alone!

Raptor Attack was next! Now I was expecting a really low budget and naff re-make, as The Sewer Rat was a ok theme, but nothing amazing. But wow, this was fantastic, I'm not a fan of scary jumpy things but this was great! The screams, little touches such as the banging door outside the station really worked well (it scared Maddie and Ed ****!), the animatronic velociraptors worked really well! went past them at the right speed so you couldn't tell they were fake (well obviously they were), especially the last one with the victim! Kept thinking of Jurassic Park quotes though..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0[/youtube]

For the cred whores we mingled over to Ladybird, most of us who have done it before sat out, Ian showed us his magical umbrella of importance;
309556_10150820782490381_560120380_20867753_1027071014_n.jpg

Ed showed us a behind the scene exclusive of what AJ would've done for the Lip-Sync Diva section;
295998_10150820782690381_560120380_20867754_454803651_n.jpg

Something about bees, not sure...

Then we watched Baz become a ninja trying to swat wasps (which there were thousands) with his walking stick! Then proceeded to juggle it between his fingers, like a boss.
Jay was impressed!
302445_10150820782795381_560120380_20867760_277202886_n.jpg

293949_10150820782860381_560120380_20867761_186906615_n.jpg

Got the cred, didn't need to ride it and squeeze into those seats!

Moved onto the travelling rapids that were just below, last visit the Grizzly Bear ride was here, not sure which ride looks more out of place now? Had a interesting chat with Simon and Ian about the ride while watching victims depart from the station;

316558_10150820783090381_560120380_20867764_390306081_n.jpg

Joey in his poncho!

312396_10150820783280381_560120380_20867767_1612973887_n.jpg

Tresseme boat.

The ride itself looks good, and it does draw a crowd, I agree with Jordan in that it looks tacky with the big palm trees and massive rapids sign, detracts from the park somewhat (especially next to the pirate area). Speaking of which we moved onto the fantastic new pirate area! With authentic Pirates of the Carr...Yorkshire Dales...music...which built a good atmosphere, good selection of rides, but shame they were all a bit nauseating for me to ride, so bloused out of those!
Meanwhile Ed showed us his crippled cock!
314783_10150820783510381_560120380_20867770_199747043_n.jpg

AJ remembers when a student walked into Harrods and was instantly assaulted by staff;
310890_10150820783365381_560120380_20867768_2028808330_n.jpg

(that's as far as my pictures from my camera I think)

Then after this we broke for lunch and invaded the Granary outside the park, this caused much havoc to that old lady who tried to push past us! The food wasn't amazing, it filled an empty stomach. Thanks to Simon once again for organising the discount for us, much appreciated! After a lovely chat with Simon and Scarlett over lunch we all mingled back into the park meeting at the water slide where we were led to the CF Olympics!
After doing well in the egg and spoon race I failed miserable in the bin-bag race after I pulled both the handles off it! Dang! Nothing like making a goon of yourself! Kinder-Eggs followed and then the weird hula-hoop and beanbag throwing began, which made everyone feel anxious for the rest of the day.
Thanks to Nic and Ian for arranging this, gave a welcome break from riding and provided some hilarity for those not taking part!
Credit whoring was the agenda pretty much I believe, trip to Caterpillar ride and then Tower of Terror which we broke as usual leading to a few walk of shames.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTzTzKbKS5Y[/youtube]
AJ 'enjoying' himself and Neal throwing hoops at someone, I think Sue?

That area of the park is so different, it really feels as if you've left the grounds and into some woodlands where there happens to be rides. It needs maybe something else there, like another area or just a 'big' ride to draw people over.
I think next was The Claw, which led to lots of blousers and hula throwing, then Twister ride, which we were treated to a quick magic show before. Nice little touch and quick thinking by Simon! Then I believe it was the water slide, another magic trick by Simon and then one last ride on t'Ultimate! Which turned out to be the very last ride of the day, sat 2nd row with Tom, and it was bloody good, was pummeled in the 2nd section! Has definatley warmed up in the day and proved to be a memorable end to the day!
After this we slowly walked back towards the exit, said a goodbye to Simon and thanked him for a great day out!
Quick goodbyes and off we went.
Really enjoyed Lightwater Valley again, feel it's a long sleeping park that would benefit from some TLC and investment, the first signs of this are showing with Whirlwind and the pirate area being added. Interesting to see what will become of the old swinging ship. I think the food needs to be improved, not been impressed that much with what is on offer. Other than that I have only praise for a good day out, shame about the up and down weather, but it is Yorkshire after all!

Next up is Flamingoland, my first ever visit!

Rest of the photos are here;
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 754&type=1
Should be a public album

Nic

Strata Poster
Dave said:
Interesting to see what will become of the old swinging ship.
The plan is to sell it. It was cheaper to buy in the one from Loudoun with the other rides than it was to get their existing one moved a couple of hundred yards across the field. By selling it, someone else can pay the transport costs for getting it out. For that reason, I guess it'll stay put until they find a buyer.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here we go then boys and girls, CoasterForce's first ever 3D POV!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSVUt21SDg[/youtube]

EDIT: Unfortunately, embedded 3D videos don't work, so you have to visit our channel to view it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSVUt21SDg

I think it came out alright! It's my first attempt at this so I may not have nailed the editing technique properly just yet, but you can certainly see depth to the ride, especially on the lift hills (and drops) and in the station.

Here's the 2D version if you don't have 3D glasses.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9DMUpiwn3s[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Woop! Any chance of a true 3D version for us 3DS and 3DTV owners (I'm the former, not the latter :lol: )?

Dave, thanks for the report, it's like I was there! :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Saturday was amazing. Sunday... not so much, but that's just Flamingo Land's fault.

I'll sort out photos soon, I don't have many from Saturday because it was fun... Sunday I have quite a few.

ERT on Ultimate <3

Troll faces <3

Crane fly </3

Thanks so much to Simon, was neat and very different to have someone from the park basically giving us a tour without making us feel awkward!

Lightwater's theming attempts were way better than anticipated. Raptor Attack is amazing. <3

The CF Sports Day was hilarious. <3

Scarlet arousing an Emu <3

Packed lunch to avoid Flamingo Land food <3

I intend to write a complaint about the smell at Mingo, so anyone who wants to offer contributions to the list of describing smells please feel free!

Thanks for driving Scarlet. <3

Dave

CF Legend
^ joey I would mention about the lack of atmosphere on areas of the park, lack if background music. Was looking forward to hearing the kumali music but got a fat computer singing instead!

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
tks said:
WelcomeToOblivion said:
ahhh <3 being kissed by 2 fab people. Shame we're so small :p

We're not small... Just far far away..
True.
We're six foot in real life.

tks said:
Omg Raptor Attack is the BEST RIDE EVER. I actually screamed in terror on it at the dinosaurs.. And the banging door had me and Maddie running for our lives <3333 Such a fab ride. It **** ALLLLLL over X:|nowayout.

LMAO. That door! The roaring! The dinosaurs just appearing from nowhere.
ahahahahahaha <3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
furie said:
Woop! Any chance of a true 3D version for us 3DS and 3DTV owners (I'm the former, not the latter :lol: )?
The side-by-side/YouTube video should work automatically on 3D tellys as they share the same technique. However, the file probably needs to be a stand alone file for download and not on YT to work. They're big files so when I can be arsed, I'll upload them to CF for download.

And yeah, I'll echo Raptor Attack - it was fab! I was **** myself all the way round waiting for something to jump out.

The only that disappointed me about Lightwater Valley was Skeleton Cove. The themed bins have gone, some of the speakers sounded bust (probably to do with too high bass?) and the hand & barrel theme item was turned upright which made it look pants.

There you go, who says that I can't do a balanced report?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
furie said:
The side-by-side/YouTube video should work automatically on 3D tellys as they share the same technique. However, the file probably needs to be a stand alone file for download and not on YT to work. They're big files so when I can be arsed, I'll upload them to CF for download.

Okay, cool. I wasn't sure how it had been rendered with the YouTube video being anaglyph 3D if it was rendered as anaglyph, or if it's just YouTube presents it in that format :)

marc

CF Legend
Flamingo land is normally a good day and in the past treated us really well it's a shame that just about everyone did not enjoy it.

Great reports so far.

Martyn B

CF Legend
After all the hype over Skeleton Cove, I felt a little disappointed. Yes its good having the extra attractions on the parks line up, but in general, the area really didn't live up to all the hype. I personally wouldn't have expected anything mind blowing from LWV, but all I had heard was raving reviews about how amazing it is, when really, it wasn't.

Still, its an improvement on what was there before.

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
Ian said:
furie said:

Okay, cool. I wasn't sure how it had been rendered with the YouTube video being anaglyph 3D if it was rendered as anaglyph, or if it's just YouTube presents it in that format :)

*tries on own TV*

This is actually incredibly interesting.

Edit: Slooow down of obliviiiooonnnnnn....