What's new

WTF Merlin?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@Nicky Borrill the buy-in for the platinum pass is an eye watering £299, so on the basis that nobody pays full price tickets it’s about ~9 discounted park visits with parking for a solo visitor to break even and increasingly worse value if you’re sharing a car and parking costs are reducing (maybe ~10 parks for a duo to break even). Even at the renewal rates, it’s an ask.

I’m definitely nowhere close to that level of attendance, but surely very few are?

It obviously suits some, nice to hear that it works out for yourself 👌
It’s not £299 unless you have no pass at all to renew from. (You can renew any pass into a platinum.)

I have used monthly passes since it’s initial launch a few years ago. It’s £19.99 a month, So around £240 per year… Hence 4 or 8 entrance tickets…

Annual passes aren’t designed for the casual visitor, they’re designed for people who visit regularly. And it’s also worth remembering, they don’t ‘really’ want those regular visitors like us as much as the once a year trippers either. Sure the regular income is nice, and certainly helps the business finances in more ways than one, hence why they offer them. But we spend much less on park, usually pay much less per visit for entry, have higher expectations and are more critical.

Consider this, if I visit a theme park 12 times on my pass, and like many other passholders, spend very little on park… Then I contribute £20 per visit. That means if I take up 2 man hours, which seems plausible given the size of ride teams, entrance staff, security, etc etc, then they’re already out of pocket on me before any other overheads are even considered.

Now considering there have been years where I’ve visited well over 20 times, then I think I’d be pushing my luck to expect a pass for less than £200…

If you aren’t visiting parks more than 5 or 6 times a year, why even look at Annual Passes? If it’s just the one park, as Will said, they do the Season Pass where it’s practically the price of 2 or 3 discounted tickets.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@Nicky Borrill I suppose my comments come from the Cedar Fair parks passes, where you can easily make your money back from just 5-6 visits. By comparison, the MAPs do not provide as much value, not even close. Ultimately the MAPs can still provide value for some.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Last year my Blackpool renewal cost me £45, this year £99.
I live half an hour away, the Beach is my local bar, with rides attached.
I meet mates off peak every few weeks, so my pass works out at about a fiver a visit, with cheap beer and food at the Velvet Coaster just up the road.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The mid-tier option, the Gold Pass, is £219 and has a few restrictions through the season (on the days which are usually some of the busiest). Still gives a great amount of flexibility, free parking, the usual discounts, plus access to all the midway attractions. Admittedly the midways aren't for everyone, but they're there.

I think it's good value for money. Especially compared to the European market, there's not many out there that give you the density, and reasonable quality, of parks, plus the bonuses, for the price imo

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
I had the cheapo £69 pass this year and thought it was excellent value. Admittedly I'm only ten minutes from Thorpe which helped, but I also had two trips to Alton and first time visits to Chessington and Legoland. And a trip on the London Eye.

Yes, you can't visit at weekends or during school holidays, but that's when I'd choose to go anyway to avoid the crowds.

I suppose my comments come from the Cedar Fair parks passes, where you can easily make your money back from just 5-6 visits.
If you really want to point out the disparity, how about those Six Flags passes? Back in 2017 I bought a Gold Pass at Six Flags Mexico for around £39 - I just checked and it's now only £26! That includes entry to all the parks and free parking. At the American parks it's now over 20 quid for parking alone.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It sounds good on the surface, but imo no free parking is a killer of it.

Then again, depending on the number of trips you make, and when you go, it's still a good option that works out better than the Gold option. And really, having more options is no bad thing.

We really need a 'MEH Merlin' thread, for the all Merlin news which isn't quite WTF, but not quite YAY.

Will

Strata Poster
It sounds good on the surface, but imo no free parking is a killer of it.

Then again, depending on the number of trips you make, and when you go, it's still a good option that works out better than the Gold option.
UGH, I hadn't spotted that - I'm now proportionately less interested.

The main appeal of the pass to me is 'Alton whenever I feel like it' and the parking charges quickly mount up...

From a Will-centric point of view, I think I have an Alton pass until mid-October and there's nothing down South to interest me until then anyway.

I've also just caught myself making sarcy comments on their Facebook page, like a dick. Time to go out for a walk...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Alton Towers had their first 'full' open day of the year today; a John Lewis buyout (which happens yearly). The ride available is....not great:

9 rides closed all day, including some major rides, plus the more usual first day issues.

The park have said the reason for these rides being closed is because of delays to winter maintenance due to the recent storms. But they have only mentioned this to today's visitors...today.

It's fair enough that some rides are delayed because of issues out of their control. But not telling people in advance, especially when they know the rides won't be ready, is pretty poor. Being a buyout, I imagine that organisers from John Lewis aren't particularly happy, nor will visitors, who are still paying for the day (at a reduced rate).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Alton Towers had their first 'full' open day of the year today; a John Lewis buyout (which happens yearly). The ride available is....not great:

9 rides closed all day, including some major rides, plus the more usual first day issues.

The park have said the reason for these rides being closed is because of delays to winter maintenance due to the recent storms. But they have only mentioned this to today's visitors...today.

It's fair enough that some rides are delayed because of issues out of their control. But not telling people in advance, especially when they know the rides won't be ready, is pretty poor. Being a buyout, I imagine that organisers from John Lewis aren't particularly happy, nor will visitors, who are still paying for the day (at a reduced rate).
Nemesis IS open though!!!

Always a silver lining :)

WC90

Roller Poster

It's not properly a "WTF merlin" but two gardaland's manager are under investigation for fake or inflated bills. Perhaps this fact will explain a lot of things about gardaland's bad situation, specially in events like Halloween.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
New Retrosquad flat ride for Alton Towers announced....Spinjam (for those who couldn't make it out the **** logo 😂)

Rumour has it that it will be a Wilmot's Air Raid attraction. Personally, I think this is a step-up from Mixtape but I still find it frustrating that they seem to be sticking with these temporary fair ground rides rather than getting a permanent flat ride that fits the area they're in!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
God, I literally couldn't give any less ****s that I do for this bloody funfair tack.

Tragic.

Will

Strata Poster
I hear what everyone's saying, but with the progress at Chessington and Thorpe, it's clearly not Alton's turn at present.

I actually enjoy riding 'Funk 'n' Fly' (though I don't care for the name) more than I have any Towers flat since the days of Energizer and Dynamo (used to love Ripsaw but not got the stomach I used to) so I'm happy to see them back :) I'll give the 'new' one a go, but looks a bit much for me.

Ok, so it's a bodge, but they're a bit of fun and takes some of the crowds away from the coasters :)

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Hope they don't run it at the speed and duration of the Southport one. I convinced everyone to ride it and the cycle was way too long! I felt a bit guilty after! 😂 Some of the fair ones look even worse. They do look quite jazzy though. Mixtape was a bit ugly.