What's new

WTF Merlin?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
See, I still need The Smiler, plus now there's Octonauts and Wickerman, so it's a +3 for me at Alton, but I just really don't know if I can be bothered to make the effort and put myself through all the bulls**t.
Yeah I know that feeling. I've got all the creds, but have no desire to go back to the place any time soon. The cost/pain in the ass/benefit ratio just keeps getting worse and worse these days, and I just can't be bothered with the faff and annoyance. It's beginning to feel like Flamingo Land all over again.

jodon1981

Roller Poster
I'm thinking about going to Alton Towers on a short trip to England in early August and their website doesn't have their schedule for August yet. Does anyone know when they might have the August schedule up? Or what has been their schedule in past Augusts? Also, how does a major park not have their season schedule available?

davidm

Strata Poster
Icon... Orlando...?

Seems Merlin liked Blackpool's new named coaster so much they ripped off the name (replacing Coke as name sponsor thingy).

Robbie

Hyper Poster
They've sent the same tweet to Buzz Aldrin, Ruth Badger, Ed and David Miliband, Les Dennis, silver-medal winning athletes, Chelsea FC, Myleene Klass, Man Utd, X-Factor runners-up and many more. This is proper trolling.

The thing is, by targeting these people they're making it look like the Roller Coaster Restaurant is second-best too.

Will

Strata Poster
Indeed, it's not even the second best Roller Coaster Restaurant I've been to and I've only been to 3!!

EDIT: Can we invite Nico Rosberg?

Last edited:

lachlan

Mega Poster
No way... this is probably the most WTF thing I've seen in this thread. I know it's technically stating facts but it's coming across as a dig at Labour to me. Theme parks and politics need to be kept separate! :(

If anyone form Alton Towers is reading this, try improving your veggie options first. Nuggets or penne pasta for £11 doesn't cut it, quorn burger for £15 is pretty insulting TBH.

EDIT: ah so that's just one of lots of tweets. Not quite as bad as I thought but still, wtf?

mouse

Giga Poster
I assume this has just been done in the hope that at least a few of the 'invites' will be retweeted? Free publicity off the backs of some well-followed twitter accounts; because I'm sure at least half of Anne Widdecombe's 131 followers are likely to visit Alton Towers. Also, they've invited both Ed and David Miliband - could be awkward.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah, roller coaster restaurant was ****. The food was mediocre at best, the plates and cutlery were filthy, the service was slow as ****, the staff were rude and it was very busy. Definitely won't be going there again.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Sham of a marketing idea. Some idiot probably thought it was quite funny but they clearly haven't thought it through.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
It's really rude I think, especially the one to Buzz Aldrin, as if they're making out he lost a competition to get on the moon first, rather than just doing his job.

He walked on the moon, Alty can't even run a half-decent restaurant, Rollercoaster Restaurant is gross and expensive. Food Loop at Europa is infinitely better.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The whole thing is an absolute mess. Just scroll through their twitter just to see the sheer volume of tweet invites they posted in just one morning, which is bordering on spam.

Matt N

CF Legend
Is it only me who actually liked the Rollercoaster Restaurant? The food I had was lovely, I never had any problems with anything else and overall, I thought it was a great novelty! I've also never had any problems with any of Alton's other restaurants either. In fact, my family were all saying about how lovely Secret Garden was back in March! Must have been lucky with my Alton eating experiences! However, the Crooked Spoon breakfast was a bit mediocre last July.

With regards to the 2nd place tweets, it's a nice (albeit slightly strange) idea, but in future, send the invites over private message, Alton!

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Is it only me who actually liked the Rollercoaster Restaurant?
I'm split minds about it. I went when it first opened all by myself and it was quite nice, the food was decent and I got served rather quickly.
However I returned a few months after with a group of friends and it was a disaster. Half of the food arrived, the other half wouldn't turn up at all even after numerous excuses from the staff that they're having difficulties in the kitchen. We've wasted two hours in there while other people came in after us and even had their food before us!
In the end whoever had their food turned up late got it for free, the rest of us got like 80% off plus everyone in the group got a fast pass (which Customer Service then didn't want to hand over cause they didn't get the memo).

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Is it only me who actually liked the Rollercoaster Restaurant?
I went this season. The food was nice, but nothing spectacular if I'm being honest. Certainly better than anywhere else on park. My only real complaint was that the food wasn't hot enough, so was cold before I had properly finished. The light show certainly was a redeeming factor, as it was pretty cool to experience, as well as the novelty of having your food delivered by roller coaster. If they could just get the food that slight bit better in quality, I'd be really happy! I'd still really like to eat there again regardless. :)