What's new

Worst queue?

Worst Queue:Smiler. A cattle pen queues but even though it is SOO awesome having the ride over you, but it's just goes on for ever and ever and the fact that they have put netting over the top of the queue on makes it more claustrophobic and and its just EURGGH.

Longest Queue: 2hrs 30 minutes for SAW... why I did this I don't know, I don't even like the ride, I suppose it was because of my cousins but still...

^^Gotta agree, the queue for The Smiler is almost unbearable. We did queue for 2 and a bit hours which didn't help but the fact that you are stuck between cages, no where to lean, almost no shade and that constant music blaring out just makes for a really crap queue. At least with Air and Nemesis you are walking around some vegetation or rocks, not other people. I think that was the longest I'd ever queued for as well, and turns out its a pretty average ride.

Worst queue for me would have to be somewhere that's unpleasant to be in. So on that note, probably Shockwave. In the summer, it makes a very effective oven. It's also involves far too much climbing. Actually, on a similar note, some of Paris's Space Mountain is a bit of an oven too. But at least it has the decency to look awesome

If it was still here, Space Invader at Blackpool would take an easy win.

jayjay said:
Worst queue for me would have to be somewhere that's unpleasant to be in. So on that note, probably Shockwave. In the summer, it makes a very effective oven. It's also involves far too much climbing. Actually, on a similar note, some of Paris's Space Mountain is a bit of an oven too. But at least it has the decency to look awesome

If it was still here, Space Invader at Blackpool would take an easy win.

What was wrong with Space Invaders queue

From what I remember, it was hot, cramped and very slow moving so you got to spend lots of time in it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rtotheizzo17 said:
The "worst" queues I have seen (not necessarily waited in) are Kraken and Tatsu. Kraken is a series of never ending ramps up hill, with no cut through at all. Pain in the ass.
These are the worst for me as well. Viper at SFGAM has a horrible queue/exit that has 0 shortcuts... I have actually skipped re-rides due to not wanting to walk through that again.

njn63 said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
The "worst" queues I have seen (not necessarily waited in) are Kraken and Tatsu. Kraken is a series of never ending ramps up hill, with no cut through at all. Pain in the ass.
These are the worst for me as well. Viper at SFGAM has a horrible queue/exit that has 0 shortcuts... I have actually skipped re-rides due to not wanting to walk through that again.

The queue isn't bad it's the exit. It's so cramped and goes on for so long. Actually feels like being marched off to a prison considering how high the railings are

tribar said:
njn63 said:
rtotheizzo17 said:

The queue isn't bad it's the exit. It's so cramped and goes on for so long. Actually feels like being marched off to a prison considering how high the railings are
Yeah, I was combining the two but the main complaint is the exit path. The worst part of it is when you get behind a family that is walking slowly because there is no way to get around them without looking like a complete a-hole.

It wouldn't be as bad if there was a shortcut 1/4 of the way so you could hop back in line (like American Eagle).

Length doesn't bother me, poorly designed does. And its easier to list good ones than bad, I'd be here all day.

Queues don't have to be awful, its a design choice to make them so, and why we tolerate it is beyond me.

Typically in the USA, the overall queue standard is lower I find. Even including the big game players. Disney has a decent share of terrible queue design. I have a particular pet hate for Soarin (Epcot).

So, good queues? I like Verboten's a lot. Its varied, shaded sufficiently and has plenty to look at. Chessington's Rattlesnake is fantastic also, its just a shame it's for a ride that so rarely makes use of it. Its varied in height, always cool, full view of the ride and plenty of theming. Its also, crucially, the correct width. This prevents crowded bunching up and the sense that the person behind you is trying to push ahead. Its fantastic in almost every way, and its only suffered one alteration in it's life - if you look on the ground by the station there's evidence of a fence that used to keep that space narrow, but was removed to improve fire exit access I assume. It matters - now people crowd the onload gate. Colossus has a great queue. Again, naturally shaded, varied, full view of ride, the correct width. The only part that's bad is the run up to the station.

I love Colossus' queue as well Joey. Not only is it shaded, winding and interesting, it's really clever in terms of the music. You get to hear different sections of the (epic) song as you walk around and it seems to be fading in and out of the bushes, or coming from the ride itself. It's really good at building anticipation. One drawback though is that it always comes into my head whenever I see bamboo.

Btm queues are the worst just hundreds of people and you have no idea if your near the ride or not.

I don't mind the nemesis queue as you have the ride going over you and under you. You already feel part of it.

Lets be honest queues are massively influenced by how many fast track tickets are sold that day. Most alton towers rides at peak season are horrendous.

The Smiler is horrid, there's no sense of progression. Just endless cages, concrete and "HA HA bloody HAs".

Temple of the Nighthawk gets an (dis)honourable mention here too, just for how stifling it is. Went last summer and the heat was intense as soon as you got inside the corrugated tunnel.

The worst queue for me has to be Rita. With queue skips, it's boring, but at least it's short. Without them, it's a horrible, endless twisting mess of switchbacks with nothing interesting in them. Not to mention the fact they're full of litter (no bins) and no shade.

TBH, Rita as a whole isn't well done at all when compared to the other rides in the "big six" roller coasters.

Aye I really liked Colossus' queue, and Rattlesnakes, can see what Joey's saying about the two of them.

Compare them to the likes of Swarm or Saw (worst. queue. ever.) where it's just turnback after turnback with little to no interaction with the ride itself. Tend to be the worst queues for me. Smilers is awful, but, bearable because of the interaction with the ride. Saw is just out on a **** marsh with nothing but the smell of weed for company.

Special mention for Shockwaves shocking staircase though.

njn63 said:
rtotheizzo17 said:

I quite liked Viper's queue, kept me from being subjected to the concentration of 200 human beings' collective body odors.

Posted while reading your mind.

Mysterious Sue said:
I love Colossus' queue as well Joey. Not only is it shaded, winding and interesting, it's really clever in terms of the music. You get to hear different sections of the (epic) song as you walk around and it seems to be fading in and out of the bushes, or coming from the ride itself. It's really good at building anticipation. One drawback though is that it always comes into my head whenever I see bamboo.

I totally agree although on the last stretch to the station now, the Bass on X is pretty much all you can hear until the station, I was shocked at first from how much that building vibrates because of the music played, depending on the track you can feel it in the floor too! but still it is my favourite queue in thorpe along with Stealth as its quite shady you have the sunken garden next door which is nice to look at and you get great interaction with Stealth once you get nearer the end of the queue. Same with Inferno's extended queue but I have never seen that being used.

cjbrandy said:
The longest queues I've been in are 2 and a half hours for soaring at Epcot, 2 hours for haunted mansion at dlp and an hour and a half for nickolodean streak at blackpool

I cant say I've ever seen a queue 1 and a half hours long at PBB! Even Spin Doc on a busy day moved faster than that!