What's new

Worst class you’ve ever taken?

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
Statistics by far!

Statistics is awful!! I failed this class once and I feel like I’m going to fail it again. And this is coming from a guy who loves math!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob666

Hyper Poster
With a topic title like that, spelling ain't great mate either!
A level Maths...one lesson taken, didn't understand a word.

Matt N

CF Legend
For me, it would be A Level Further Maths. I lasted 4 months before dropping it, and those were 4 hard months… I didn’t understand a word the teacher was saying most of the time, which wasn’t helped by the fact that I was in a class with two people who were much better at Maths at me, meaning that I found it hard to keep up. I did two mock exams, got a U in both of them and eventually realised that it probably wasn’t to be.

An honourable mention would probably be the IOT Development class I briefly took at university last semester, although saying I took it would probably be defining “took” in the loosest possible sense. I thought it would be a module where we were programming on network simulators, but it was actual hardware and wiring, and I panicked after the lecturer gave me the huge wiring kit because when I started trying to play with it, I had absolutely no idea what to do… I may be a Computer Science student, but I am truly clueless when it comes to hardware! Suffice to say, I started trying to drop IOT the second I left that class (it was an optional module), and after spending a few days going through the process, I was eventually successful in moving to Theory of Computation!

Christian

Hyper Poster
Statistics by far!

Totally agree! Statistics was absolutely horrible and utterly useless for what I am studying. We would just calculate a bunch of random stuff and do statistics programming and all that. There was really no point to learn that. Im also not a big fan of math lecturers, they are so different from the standard business ones. Much nerdier and more quiet/weird.

Second worst has been marketing and I have done two long courses on that. Marketing sounds pretty simple to outsiders but when you get into it, it's an absolute mess. Most people think marketing = advertising but that cant be further from the truth, advertising is just a tiny bit of marketing. My first marketing lecture was a 6 hour session on the religious history of Europe. Still dont get how that helps me in business.

Third worst class is microeconomics. Micro is very important but it's just so stupidly boring. It's basically physics but with some economics, a ton of formulas and graph analysis. It's interesting but not my thing.

rob666

Hyper Poster
All these years later, do they still do Spearman Rank Coefficient Correlations in statistics?
Only bit I could do...we conclusively proved that penguin birthrates were related to old "O" level results for Lancashire.
Statistically that is, I don't think there is a real link.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Content certainly plays a big role, but I honestly believe the professor is the determining factor in what makes a good course. I’ve taken some courses with boring content made great by a professor who makes it relative and interesting, while I’ve taken courses with really interesting content made terrible by a terrible professor.

With that said, Concrete was easily the worst for me. Somewhat boring content made exponentially worse by a horrific professor. I took way more enjoyment out of writing the end-of-course survey than I did out of any single second of that course.

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
With a topic title like that, spelling ain't great mate either!
A level Maths...one lesson taken, didn't understand a word.

Fixed it. One of my worst habits is typing something in without proofreading. Thank you for pointing it out.

Another vote for Statistics/A level maths! Hated it! Gave up after 2 terms and used the time to do an EPQ (extended project qualification) which consisted of me writing a 5000 word essay on Metallica 😅 Much more effective use of my time and actually worth some UCAS points!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You've ever taken.* ;)

I took a micro-econ course sophomore year in college that was poorly tought by a TA, and made me completely dismissive of economics throughout my undergraduate. It wasn't until my Masters Program that I was (required) to give economics and statistics a second go, and I absolutely loved it! Honestly my biggest regret was not taking econ sooner, as it would have saved me much heartburn from not taking calculus. :p

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
You've ever taken.* ;)

I took a micro-econ course sophomore year in college that was poorly tought by a TA, and made me completely dismissive of economics throughout my undergraduate. It wasn't until my Masters Program that I was (required) to give economics and statistics a second go, and I absolutely loved it! Honestly my biggest regret was not taking econ sooner, as it would have saved me much heartburn from not taking calculus. :p

Thanks for correcting me. I’ll fix it

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
You've ever taken.* ;)

I wasn’t great my first attempt at Calculus but I still enjoyed the class. Calc is better then Statistics. I’m technically failed Statistics for the second time!

Skyye

Mega Poster
Statistics by far!

Statistics is awful!! I failed this class once and I feel like I’m going to fail it again. And this is coming from a guy who loves math!

Same. Took AP stats my junior year of high school, dropped it for the spring semester because I didn't understand any of it

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Foxstar1387

Roller Poster
Very Corpo. " How to be a killer at telesales".

It was nothing more than a 3 hour slide show with some vid clips. Trying to teach you how to press a sale and how to manipulate costumers into agreeing. Rather old school but hey it was a BT course cooked up by some scav before the EE Merger.

JackFish

Mega Poster
Honors Geometry.

The teacher was a great person, funny and really nice, but even though she had 4 degrees, she could not teach. Only the really smart people managed to bet B´s and C´s and on the tests, you always ran out of time. Like not a few questions, usually 20- 30 questions left unanswered,

Had to be advanced chemistry for me. No matter the extra help I would get after school and in class, I just didn't get it. I was getting mid-90s in every class, but scraped a 70% in chemistry which to me at the time might as well have been a fail.

Close seconds would be advanced physics and advanced functions. Can you tell I don't like math and science?

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I took an intro to engineering course in my freshmen year of high school as I considered becoming an engineer. Let's just say I didn't want to very shortly after beginning the class...

JackFish

Mega Poster
I took an intro to engineering course in my freshmen year of high school as I considered becoming an engineer. Let's just say I didn't want to very shortly after beginning the class...
I have that same class at my school and I love it so much! I´m actually trying to become a structural engineer to design coasters!

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I have that same class at my school and I love it so much! I´m actually trying to become a structural engineer to design coasters!
That was why I joined the class in the first place. I ended up finding that I really just don't care much for engineering. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though!