What's new

Worlds of Fun | Zambezi Zinger | GCI (partial) Titan Track | 2023

Swoosh

Mega Poster
i will only believe you if you post a picture of you kissing clark hunt
So weird side topic. Apparently the Hunts are not even going to be involved with the 50th. Guess there’s some bad blood between them and the park. It saddened me when I learned that last week.

wdcoats_25

Roller Poster
So weird side topic. Apparently the Hunts are not even going to be involved with the 50th. Guess there’s some bad blood between them and the park. It saddened me when I learned that last week.
I knew there were rumors they were going to be involved in some capacity. That makes me sad that it seems as though there is the bad blood. They have done not only so much for the park over the 50 years, but also for the city.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
pretty sure i heard that patrick mahomes would be throwing a football from the second hill of mamba to travis kelce who will be riding timberwolf
Who will them fumble the ball on his attempt to throw it at Zambezi Zinger and have it end up in a little ditch.

jonnyu

Roller Poster
I think one interesting thing about the reveal of this coaster, along with with what GCI has said in interviews, is it seems they are committed to building wooden coasters and want to stay that way. It seems like the purpose of the Titan track is simply to allow their wooden coasters to do things they normally wouldn't do. In a previous post, I speculated that they were trying to compete with RMC, but I think it's obvious now they probably see Gravity Group as their competition, especially since it seems like RMC is shifting more to steel than anything else. I kind of get the feeling we won't see a full Titan track coaster from GCI, at least anytime soon. I could definitely be wrong though.

Last edited:

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
I think one interesting thing about the reveal of this coaster, along with with what GCI has said in interviews, is it seems they are committed to building wooden coasters and want to stay that way. It seems like the purpose of the Titan track is simply to allow their wooden coasters to do things they normally wouldn't do. In a previous post, I speculated that they were trying to compete with RMC, but I think it's obvious now they probably see Gravity Group as their competition, especially since it seems like RMC is shifting more to steel than anything else. I kind of get the feeling we won't see a full Titan track coaster from GCI, at least anytime soon. I could definitely be wrong though.
I think you just about nailed it. GCI has built their reputation on building the best and highest quality wooden rides for over 25 years. I have no doubts they are capable of building an all steel coaster, it just doesn’t make sense to do when there’s dozens of manufacturers who can do that job just as well if not better. I think GCI is way better off sticking to (mostly) wooden coasters with Titan Track where needed.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think you just about nailed it. GCI has built their reputation on building the best and highest quality wooden rides for over 25 years. I have no doubts they are capable of building an all steel coaster, it just doesn’t make sense to do when there’s dozens of manufacturers who can do that job just as well if not better. I think GCI is way better off sticking to (mostly) wooden coasters with Titan Track where needed.
I think GCI needs Titan Track and the wild stuff it can do to make their product a bit more marketable these days.

In the past couple of decades, the market for wooden coasters has pretty much collapsed. Only 9 woodies have opened or are under construction worldwide since 2019. Disregarding Hybrids, we're down to 5, and what market remains seems to rely heavily on the Chinese amusement park boom. But on the whole, Western parks just don't seem to build wooden coasters in any significant numbers anymore. Replacing some wooden elements with steel, be it so the track can pull off more daring maneuvers or the structure becomes less maintenance-intensive, seems to be necessary for the woodie manufacturers to stay competitive with steel coasters.

Indy

Hyper Poster
GCI is absolutely trying to compete with RMC and for good reason. RMC developed a product that has been incredibly popular and they essentially had zero competition in the hybrid market that they effectively created. I think wood coasters will always be GCI's bread and butter, but I can't fault them for trying to come up with some sort of competition for RMC, especially when RMC is taking over GCI's installations. Not only is GCI missing out on the opportunity to win a big contract to redo the rides themselves, but they also losing continuous income from spare parts as soon as the rides close and get transformed. Titan track helps diversify their products and will probably result in them receiving a lot more RFPs.

I certainly won't complain too much if we see these hybrid hybrids for lack of a better term; wood coasters that have mostly traditional wood track, but with some hybrid track to make certain sections smoother or more dynamic. However, as great as RMC/Ride Centerline is at doing what they do, I'd be lying if I said I don't hope to see GCI/Skyline beat them out on a full steel hybrid project. The companies have completely different design styles and I'd love to see how a full titan track coaster with inversions turns out.

jonnyu

Roller Poster
I'm mostly going off of what GCI has said a few times in interviews at IAAPA, that they want to make sure their rides maintain the experience of a wooden coaster. I'd absolutely love to see GCI do full Titan rehabs and ground ups. They can start with Timber Wolf because that thing still sucks, even after the re-track.

MurphNation

Mega Poster
I'm mostly going off of what GCI has said a few times in interviews at IAAPA, that they want to make sure their rides maintain the experience of a wooden coaster. I'd absolutely love to see GCI do full Titan rehabs and ground ups. They can start with Timber Wolf because that thing still sucks, even after the re-track.
Like I’ve said I agree with you but management seems to stay strong in their belief that Timber wolf is completely fine and doesn’t need to be to be touched/changed. Timber Wolf will not be removed or changed in any way until atleast 2026

jonnyu

Roller Poster
I grabbed an image from the animation and figured it looks like the first drop is going to be around 55°, so slightly steeper than Timber Wolf. Definitely going to be a lot more intense than old Zinger's drop.

Trondll

Roller Poster
Hey everyone, been lurking for a little while and following the developments for Zinger. Very excited to see my home park getting a new coaster for the first time since I became an enthusiast! I took one of the CGI renderings from Worlds of Fun's site and tossed it into GIMP to splice it into a screenshot of Google Earth so I could get an idea of what the sightlines might look like looking at the new coaster! It's not perfect, but pretty darn close, hopefully you all enjoy it!zinger.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hey everyone, been lurking for a little while and following the developments for Zinger. Very excited to see my home park getting a new coaster for the first time since I became an enthusiast! I took one of the CGI renderings from Worlds of Fun's site and tossed it into GIMP to splice it into a screenshot of Google Earth so I could get an idea of what the sightlines might look like looking at the new coaster! It's not perfect, but pretty darn close, hopefully you all enjoy it!View attachment 19660
Great work! I have to say - that coaster duo might look pretty great, especially on the approach vantage point coming from Mamba.

Trondll

Roller Poster
Great work! I have to say - that coaster duo might look pretty great, especially on the approach vantage point coming from Mamba.
Thanks, and I absolutely agree! I think the positioning of this ride is really smart - as you approach the queue building you'll have a great view of the spiral lift, and as you approach boomerang it'll have Zinger as a backdrop.

Magic Michaels

Roller Poster
I'm really excited, and disappointed at the same time about the new GCI edition to WOF. I'm really curious about the cost of this coaster? I feel like this was just another cheap way to add to the park not to mention we already got a ground hugging GCI right next to where it's gonna be.
However I'm stoked they're bringing this back [I loved Zambezi Zinger] but why wasn't it an RMC raptor?
When is this park gonna get a coaster that's not half A**?
I mean if they wanna draw more revenue then build something Magic Mountain or Cedar Point comparable. Another GCI just seems corner cutting to me and there's zero inversions on another GCI/ Hybrid, and the ride is slightly shorter than the original.
I gotta say I think it's a cool addition and idea, but we as kc locals, and enthusiasts have been patiently waiting for something groundbreaking for almost a decade and a half.
The coolest part of this ride is honestly the lift hill. It's another prowler literally with a Zambezi lift hill...

I called this in June...I said it's gonna be a Zambezi remake, but was so stoked on an RMC Raptor with possible inversions. It didn't have to be another starter for kids coaster you have the prowler right next door for that.
We need an Intamin, dive or RMC you cheap mofos... lol...the park will still be boring until you spend some real money.
Change my mind?

If I can make another prediction...the park will bring back the orient express in the next decade and it will probably be a Raptor. If this happened that be AWESOME but it would be even cooler if it was an Intamin launch or an RMC Hybrid.

Yo WOF Cedar Fair quit being cheap A**es and give this gorgeous park something ground/record breaking, and bada**.
It will attract more people, revenue, and enthusiasts from all over world here. We always get something everyone else already has, and isn't as cool.

I get that gas, wood, and steel are expensive BUT COME ON YOU GOTTA SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY. No one cares about the Zinger except the locals.

Please rebuild the Orient Express but make it ground breaking long, and not cheap. Pay homage by interlocking the loops...but make it long with a different layout... make it tall, and fast AF will multiple inversions.

But something tells me it will be another 10 years and they'll find a way to make something cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-111444_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-111444_Facebook.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 44