What's new

Wodan vs Troy

Wodan or Troy?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Here in Europe, we have quite a few GCI roller coasters now, but the two that seem to be thrown into competition with one another most often are Wodan at Europa Park and Troy at Toverland. On average, they seem to be the two highest rated GCIs in Europe, and for some reason, everyone seems to like to compare them; almost like the Helix and Taron of GCIs! But my question to you today is; which camp do you fall into? Are you team Wodan or team Troy?

I’m staying neutral, as I’ve ridden neither, but I’d be intrigued to know your thoughts.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Team Wodan.

There isn't a whole lot between the two, but I found it more aggressive and that it contained more standout moments, plus theming and music is a bonus.
The start and the end are really strong, whereas Troy stays at the same 'good but not great' level throughout.

Trax

Hyper Poster
It used to be quite funny for me: Whenever I rode Troy, I asked myself how I could ever consider Wodan to be superior. Whenever I rode Wodan, I asked myself the same questions about Troy.
After my recent rides on Troy (with 1 day during Corona time and therefore half empty trains), I would actually consider Wodan as superior. Troy takes some breaks until it puts you back into some seconds of action, while Wodan keeps its speed until the end, and even gets crazier at the end.
However, Wodan is quite dependent on the weather, it needs hot days to be as good as it can be. Troy might be worse in the same weather, but the colder it gets, the more I tend to call Troy the better ride.

As I usually visit Europapark when its hot, I'll go with Wodan.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Troy is excellent, but I've yet to ride Wodan (hopefully that will change in 5 days time ?) so at the moment I can't really call this one.
However, why is Joris en de Draak not included in the poll? I get the impression that that too is very highly rated amongst the European GCI's. I'd put it up there with Troy for sure, not least because there's, like, y'know, 2 of 'em!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Troy is excellent, but I've yet to ride Wodan (hopefully that will change in 5 days time ?) so at the moment I can't really call this one.
However, why is Joris en de Draak not included in the poll? I get the impression that that too is very highly rated amongst the European GCI's. I'd put it up there with Troy for sure, not least because there's, like, y'know, 2 of 'em!

In the same boat as you (sans riding Wodan any time soon ?), but yeah - Joris should be thrown into the mix. Just pips Troy for me in fact.

In any case, you need a damn good GCI to rival either of them imo. Wodan looks it tbf, but in any case I expect this will be quite an even split.

Nick13

Mega Poster
Wodan for me, I have also only been to Europa in very hot July weather so may have benefit from @Trax theory, but it had non-stop crazy speed and airtime right up to the brakes. I’m visiting again in August so fingers crossed for more hot weather!

Troy is also very much a great coaster, but i didn’t think was quite as strong.

I wouldn’t necessarily put Joris & Draak in the same category as these, as it’s somewhere between being a family GCI (ie Wickerman) and these two as the most thrilling ones in Europe.

Matt N

CF Legend
The reason I didn’t include Joris was because from watching things and listening to people, Wodan and Troy are the two GCIs in Europe that everybody always seems to compare. They are also the largest two GCIs in Europe, with both being the only 2 over 100ft tall.

I’m not saying that Joris en de Draak’s two sides aren’t great coasters, because I’m sure they are! I’m only saying that Wodan and Troy are the two European GCIs that everyone seems to put up against one another, and they also look like very comparable rides as well.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Both are great coasters. Troy has a nice long ride time while Wodan perhaps feels a little short and ends with still a great deal of speed (although they literally had no more space so its understandable). Its a tough call however I'd say I prefer Wodan. The drop is better, its faster, more aggressive, the tunnels add a great extra dynamic to the experience and the queue/station theming is wonderful.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Absolutely love both of them.

Hard to call as I haven't ridden Wodan in a long time whereas I rode Troy last year.

I think Wodan has the edge for me.

I remember the first drop being one of my favourites of any coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Troy is marvelous. I really would go as far to say one of GCIs best.

Wodan is their best, though. It's brilliant.

Joris is also very, very good, but not as good as the other two.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm afraid I'm going to be the indecisive one, and state that it's too close to call. Or perhaps more accurately, as I've only visited each park twice, that I've not had enough rides to really call it.

Troy can absolutely deliver better rides than Wodan under the right circumstances, as it did late at night during Halloween in 2018. My front row night ride was amazing, and left me in shock for a while afterwards. It was spectacularly good.

Wodan had an awful opening year, but was an absolute beast of a ride last year, when it was definitely giving Troy a run for its money, and certainly seemed to be running better than I remember Troy being earlier in the year. I'm not sure how typical that was though - it's hard to tell whether Wodan was having an exceptionally good day, whilst Troy was having a decidedly average one.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm afraid I'm going to be the indecisive one, and state that it's too close to call. Or perhaps more accurately, as I've only visited each park twice, that I've not had enough rides to really call it.

Troy can absolutely deliver better rides than Wodan under the right circumstances, as it did late at night during Halloween in 2018. My front row night ride was amazing, and left me in shock for a while afterwards. It was spectacularly good.

Wodan had an awful opening year, but was an absolute beast of a ride last year, when it was definitely giving Troy a run for its money, and certainly seemed to be running better than I remember Troy being earlier in the year. I'm not sure how typical that was though - it's hard to tell whether Wodan was having an exceptionally good day, whilst Troy was having a decidedly average one.
Food for thought: I’ve noticed with Wicker Man it runs better later in the season (or has done for 2 years so far) Is this something anybody has noticed about other GCI’s too?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I haven't done Troy but Wodan is an overrated pile of meh. Don't know if I caught it on a bad day or what. Honestly prefer Wicker Man overall.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I've not ridden Wodan yet but going by repeated experience Troy in my opinion is much better than Joris. That's not to say Joris is bad, because it has great out of control parts, mostly the blue water track with the side to side dancing before the final turn around is what impressed me first. And the racing element is fun. But Troy is just mental fast speed on hot days and really has those long sweeping parts. The station fly through is awesome. Really good layout.

Wodan looks good but seems to lack a memorable layout and that Troy type big first drop just going by POVs. The ride experience could be more thrilling I guess, also if it is smoother.

Wicker Man is a bit poor of a ride compared to Troy and Joris. Too short and the flat turn is old fashioned. You can sense it is less out of control due to a slower speed. But the theming is out of this world and one of the best ever on a coaster for me. If Towers didn't have the nonsense height restriction Wicker Man could have beaten all of these other GCIs I reckon.

davidm

Strata Poster
Only rode Wodan in its opening year (on the CF trip) and I recall it being universally regarded as a bit "meh", so rather intrigued by all this more recent love for it!

#teamtroy

Luca B

Mega Poster
Troy easily.
Firstly Wodan is fairly rough, and I usually don’t mind roughness on woodies, but Wodan’s really got to me. Also Wodan lacks the typical GCI turns with airtime on the transitions and sustained laterals, which Troy does so well. Wodan also focuses way too much on airtime which is doesn’t even deliver well, making all the “airtime” moments pretty disappointing. After reriding Wodan last October just a few days after my first few rides on Troy, all of these flaws became even worse for me and I was left fairly underwhelmed. But Troy is one of the best GCIs whereas Wodan is very forgettable and towards the bottom of the pack.